SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-12-08, 04:07 PM   #1
shakie1973

Default Noob saying hi

Hi guys,

Just thought i would introduce myself. Im new to biking having recently passed my Dass.........1st time with only 2 minors
A few weeks before passing i started looking for my 1st, big bike.well, 1st any bike really. At 1st i had decided i was gona get a CBR600F, but after taking lessons on a CBF500 i thought the CBR might be too much of a step up, so i began to drool over the SV650S and thought that the 70 plus brake was more than enough, specially with all that lovely torque
So i bought a lovely clean 52 plate in candy blue, fully faired, rear hugger, seat cowl, heated grips, datatool etc etc.
The owner has kept her mint. It does have 30k on, but most of these are European miles (as they where into taking the bikes abroad) and TBH i think thats average miles for a 6 yr old bike anyway, as the insurance company advised me that 5k is average annual bike miles now.

So i bought a manual off Ebay and done a bit servicing. Changed the oil and filter, spark plugs, cleaned the air filter (as it was spotless) and flushed and added coolant to the radiator. I have also treated her to a coat of ACF50 and gave her a few good coats of wax.

I have a few questions, sorry in advance for their stupidity

The bike is garaged, but in the recent cold i have noticed that sometimes it doesnt want to catch on the 1st press of the ignitition, it will sometimes, and other times it catches on the 2nd go. Is this likely to just be down to choke placement? i have bought a bottle of pro fst to add to the tank also, is this stuff any good, and is it likely to improve cold starting, also how often do you add it to your tank, and do you add it to a full or empty tank?

Also it takes her about 3mins (on the choke) to warm up in this crappy weather, then she idles fine at about 1200rpm. Is it better to let her warm up on the drive or in the garage, or is it fine to ride off when she is still cold. The reason i ask is because the couple of times i have tried to ride off when she is still cold, im not quite sure whether to do so with choke, or without choke? as no choke seems to make her stutter, and too much choke and she wants to cut out?

is there anything else that i should be looking to do.....baring in mind im a total novice?

Thanks for your patience guys, and i look forward to getting to know you all
Old 16-12-08, 04:35 PM   #2
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: Noob saying hi

Hi & welcome

Well done for picking the right shape SV, you're bound to pick up on the rivallry between the curvy & pointy factions, but its all good natured.

I warm mine up on the choke, but just a touch and ride off on the choke. By the end of the road I can flick the choke off, although this is in the summer time. My SV is garaged over the winter.

Once you get used to how your SV behaves, then you'll know what to do.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-08, 04:41 PM   #3
Lozzo

Welcome along.

Now, if you'd bought the far superior and technologically advanced pointy then you wouldn't have all this Pro-FST and choke palaver
Old 16-12-08, 04:42 PM   #4
ArtyLady

Congrats on the test!

Cant give any technical answers as hubby deals with all that
Old 16-12-08, 04:47 PM   #5
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozzo View Post
Welcome along.

Now, if you'd bought the far superior and technologically advanced pointy then you wouldn't have all this Pro-FST and choke palaver
See what I mean about these Pointy owners
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-08, 04:48 PM   #6
madness

Hello and well done for passing, only just passed mine.
Old 16-12-08, 04:54 PM   #7
shakie1973

LOL,

I see what you mean.

Well us noobs have to start somewhere, therefore the superior (not) and technolgically advanced pointy wasnt for me
Plus on that dreaded day, when she gets dropped (as it happens to all of us) then i wont be like..............grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr she cost me 4 grand, now will i !!!
Old 16-12-08, 05:06 PM   #8
Lozzo

You can buy a nice pointy for less than 2 grand you know.

So, sit back and join in, it's cold put there and you won't want to be riding that horrible motorbike thing at this time of year anyway.
Old 16-12-08, 05:12 PM   #9
jambo
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
Hi & welcome

Well done for picking the right shape SV, you're bound to pick up on the rivallry between the curvy & pointy factions, but its all good natured.

Once you get used to how your SV behaves, then you'll know what to do.
's true. Don't leave a bike on the choke longer than you have to. Try to get a feel for when you can phase it out. I find I can start on full choke and start feeding it out almost straight away, I've almost always got it fully off before I set off. Saves you forgetting about it that way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozzo View Post
Welcome along.

As we've all pointed out before, carbs may suffer in this weather under some circumstances, but it's only a choke lever on starting, it's not rocket science, and if you get icing problems when running the Pro-FST will help.

Pro-FST or super unleaded fix all the carb icing problems, and you can't buy anything in a bottle that makes a pointy SV look good so I'd say you're onto a winner

Jambo
Old 16-12-08, 05:16 PM   #10
hovis

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakie1973 View Post
Hi guys,
i bought a lovely clean 52 plate in candy blue,

oh dear, you obvoisly did not do much research before spending your cash

the yellow ones are fasterer,

welcome to the org