SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-02-05, 08:37 AM   #1
Mogs

Default Which Roadside Recovery?

I have been a member of the AA for the last year, but they want over £100 to renew. I've had a quote from Green Flag at £67 and an online quote from NCI Biker Rescue (advertised in RiDE) at £59.

Any recommendations?
Old 01-02-05, 09:10 AM   #2
MavUK

I can't say anything about the above, but just make sure you've read the small print on all of them.

A friend of mine was stuck when he called for roadside rescue (anwb in Holland, not UK). he didn't have homestart (or equiv) which means if you are in your neighbourhood then they won't fetch you.

Unfortunately his neighbourhood was Rotterdam - he was 60 miles from his house ut they refused to help him as he was in his neighbourhood. Check there aren't any clauses like this in any of the offers...

Stu
Old 01-02-05, 09:23 AM   #3
Jabba

I've got the most basic version of NCI - about £30 I think, although there's enhanced cover available for about £35.

Of course, riding a Honda, I've never needed to use it so can't comment on their service
Old 01-02-05, 09:28 AM   #4
Kate

In the past I've had AA, RAC and Green Flag. I've currently got the full NCI as it included home start and european cover for less than what RAC where asking for their basic package.

Green Flag was a disaster for me, I broke down about 11pm on a dual carriageway by myself. So much for priority for lone women! In the end I rang AA who got to me within 30 minutes even though my membership had expired.

RAC were pretty good, I called them out a couple of times for my old car and even when it was a home start, they got to me within 40 minutes.
Old 01-02-05, 09:48 AM   #5
Clunk

I've got RAC personal cover.
Costs nothing with Tesco clubcard vouchers.
Covers me in any vehicle.
Never used it on the bike, used it on the car, only problem was when I had an accident and it took them about 4 hours to get a rescue truck to me.
Still happy with them seeing as it costs me nothing.
Old 01-02-05, 10:08 AM   #6
mattSV
Mega Poster

Don't get me started on f(*&%*(&%g RAC.

Oh you have, too late now then..............

Like Clunk, I go for the 'free with Tesco Clubcard route'.

About three weeks ago, my car (2year old Peugeot, 28000 miles) died on the way home - lots of warning lights came on, engine died, pulled over in the middle of nowhere - pitch black, freezing cold.

Phoned RAC, told could be 3 hours - after 2 hours, bloke turns up. He thought it was fuel, put some more diesel in it, took off a fuel pipe to check that fuel was coming through ok (which it was) and then advised he could not fix it. Then waited another hour for a tow truck, got home at 11pm.

Garage looked at the car for me, and advised it was a faulty speed sensor on one of the wheels (something to do with the electronic stability programme) - all fixed and returned to me next day.

So, off I go to work again (55 miles each way)in my fixed car. On the way home, it started to feel a bit sluggish going up hills (as if the turbo was gone). Overtaking a lorry on a dual carriageway (only doing 70 - honest!) there is a big cloud of smoke out the back and the engine dies completely. Luckily the lorry saw what happened and slowed right down and let me pull over at the side of the road. Phone RAC again to be told that they are just changing shifts, so no idea how long they will be!!!

Police turn up after about 20 mins to check all ok (car was in a bit of a dodgy place) and phone RAC to hurry up - they just wanted me off the road.

30 mins after the police have left, I chase RAC and was told - should be there in 15 mins. 20 mins later, a breakdown truck turns up and (very relctantly) towed me back to the garage.

The next morning, the garage phones me to advise that the reason I broke down was because the fuel pipe had not been fitted back on correctly by the RAC bloke - resulting in high pressure atomised diesel (2/3 of a tank!!!) being sprayed all over the engine bay and outside of the car - terrific.

They refix the fuel pipe, and steam clean it for me. When I drive it home, I find that the clutch is slipping - most likely due to diesel contamination - just waiting to hear from the garage now how much that will cost to repair.

So, as a result of the fuel pipe not being fitted properly, I have been without my car for 2 weeks (luckily garage have given me a courtesy car), have wasted time sat in breakdown trucks, the car nearly went up in flames and I could end up with a nice bill for a new clutch (not covered under warranty as not a manufacturer's fault)

I had a very nice 'customer satisfaction survey' from the RAC last week, so I sent them a letter highlighting the above - just waiting for a response now.

Rant over.
2013 - 2016 Triumph Explorer 1200
2016 - Ducati Multistrada DVT S
mattSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-05, 10:35 AM   #7
MavUK

Cloggsy,

Get the RAC to pay for your repairs.

I had an experience with the AA (the set fire to my Fiesta) and they had to repair the damage (cost more than the car was worth...)

I called them out when all my electrics dies (engine, lights, horn, radio etc etc etc).

The bloke came out and said that it was a dodgy repair of the loom and removed some wire. Car ran like a dream until I was about a mile from home. Then the engine bay went up in smoke...

After a lot of arguments with the AA they admited liability (the dodgy wire is also called a fuse link wire - and it was breaking as the alternator had died and was pushing too much power down the wrong wire). They gave me a hire car (that I had to change every other day as they wouldn't give one to a 19 / 20 yr old for more than 48 hours ata time, even though the car took three weeks to fix).

They even went as far to say it was my fault as any fixes they do are 'get you home' fixes and not real fixes. Thankfully my car caught fire just short of home so I could conter claim this with I never got home...

Then they sent me a letter saying as I had called them out 3 times this membership year they considered me an abuser of the system and that if I used them 3 more times that year they would start charging me. 2 of the three times were to get them to a) Move the car they had set fire too and b) Look at the car to try and establish the cause of the fire.

That was a fun time...

Stu
Old 01-02-05, 11:16 AM   #8
Cloggsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattSV
Don't get me started on f(*&%*(&%g RAC.

Oh you have, too late now then..............

Like Clunk, I go for the 'free with Tesco Clubcard route'.

About three weeks ago, my car (2year old Peugeot, 28000 miles) died on the way home - lots of warning lights came on, engine died, pulled over in the middle of nowhere - pitch black, freezing cold.

Phoned RAC, told could be 3 hours - after 2 hours, bloke turns up. He thought it was fuel, put some more diesel in it, took off a fuel pipe to check that fuel was coming through ok (which it was) and then advised he could not fix it. Then waited another hour for a tow truck, got home at 11pm.

Garage looked at the car for me, and advised it was a faulty speed sensor on one of the wheels (something to do with the electronic stability programme) - all fixed and returned to me next day.

So, off I go to work again (55 miles each way)in my fixed car. On the way home, it started to feel a bit sluggish going up hills (as if the turbo was gone). Overtaking a lorry on a dual carriageway (only doing 70 - honest!) there is a big cloud of smoke out the back and the engine dies completely. Luckily the lorry saw what happened and slowed right down and let me pull over at the side of the road. Phone RAC again to be told that they are just changing shifts, so no idea how long they will be!!!

Police turn up after about 20 mins to check all ok (car was in a bit of a dodgy place) and phone RAC to hurry up - they just wanted me off the road.

30 mins after the police have left, I chase RAC and was told - should be there in 15 mins. 20 mins later, a breakdown truck turns up and (very relctantly) towed me back to the garage.

The next morning, the garage phones me to advise that the reason I broke down was because the fuel pipe had not been fitted back on correctly by the RAC bloke - resulting in high pressure atomised diesel (2/3 of a tank!!!) being sprayed all over the engine bay and outside of the car - terrific.

They refix the fuel pipe, and steam clean it for me. When I drive it home, I find that the clutch is slipping - most likely due to diesel contamination - just waiting to hear from the garage now how much that will cost to repair.

So, as a result of the fuel pipe not being fitted properly, I have been without my car for 2 weeks (luckily garage have given me a courtesy car), have wasted time sat in breakdown trucks, the car nearly went up in flames and I could end up with a nice bill for a new clutch (not covered under warranty as not a manufacturer's fault)

I had a very nice 'customer satisfaction survey' from the RAC last week, so I sent them a letter highlighting the above - just waiting for a response now.

Rant over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MavUK
Cloggsy,

Get the RAC to pay for your repairs.
Eh
Old 01-02-05, 11:51 AM   #9
MavUK

Opps my bad

Trying to do too many things at one time and names just sort of merge into one...

Obviously that should have been for Matt...
Old 01-02-05, 12:29 PM   #10
mattSV
Mega Poster

However if Cloggsy does want to pay for my repairs, then that is fine by me
2013 - 2016 Triumph Explorer 1200
2016 - Ducati Multistrada DVT S
mattSV is offline   Reply With Quote