SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 21-03-06, 01:10 PM   #1
Anonymous

Default Birmingham Bound...

Well, the time has come for me to prove my worth to my company.

After making an impact in the office, they are giving me a test.

Its down to Birmingham for me in 2 hours time to a conference with all our Suppliers and Affiliate Consultants. Ive got to give a 45 minute presentation to them all about what we do, how we do it, our processes.

Had a "live" dry run with all the directors in the Board room this morning, that was nerve wracking.

Its one thing giving a presentation to people who dont know the subject, but to give it to people who actually designed the subject on which you are presenting on is somewhat scary.

The asked me all sorts of awkward questions to try and trip me up but i handled it alright, and they signed the presentation off together with words of praise for all my hard work.

Go down tonight, staying over night tonight and tomorrow, back at 8.30pm on Thursday, back into the office Friday.

Its the first presentation of any description ive done in 6 years, and certainly the first time ive done one to an external audience for a company. Im excited, somewhat nervous (who isnt) but all in all loving the new found responsibilty.

When I return on Friday ill have an office of my own, and there will be two new guys working in the sales office where i am currently based (used to work in sales but got a "promotion" (same pay, more involved, more responsibility) to Account Management.

Just hope I can do a great job, and that management get good feedback about my abilities.....

What size presentations have you people done and to what kind of audiences?
Old 21-03-06, 01:24 PM   #2
Stingo

Good luck GYKD - hope all goes well!

Deliver regular presentations to introduce people to the submarine service - just general knowledg type things.

Also delivered similar briefs to other people, college instructors, students at college etc.

Used to teach basic nuclear propulsion some time back - that was an all day thing teaching the students for four weeks (I think).
Also taught submarine sysytems on a daily basis.

Although teaching requires you to stand in front of a bunch of people as does delivering a presentation, the question and answer session is completely different. You just need to know what you're talking about - if you are confident in your knowledge base, then once you've done one, it can only get easier as you begin to develop a style and research more into your subject.

Remember to smile occasionally and look them in the eye
Old 21-03-06, 01:39 PM   #3
DanAbnormal

I feel for you mate. I train people to use our bespoke fleet management system that I'm also an analyst for. Let me tell you I hate giving presentations. Yet I'm also training to be a CBT instructor which I find real fun. I have to present to or train a handful of people but it always feels worse than it is. I did a presentation skills course and got some great advice. When you're in a room training people etc it always helps to remember that you know more about the subject than your audience. Anyway hope it all goes well for you, you sound like a natural.
Old 21-03-06, 01:52 PM   #4
_Stretchie_
Large Member
Mega Poster

I normally teach a class of between 8-12 people. It's only a one day course so different people everyday.

I love it

Look right-> <-Look Left
_Stretchie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-06, 02:05 PM   #5
Amanda M

Good luck GYKD I have to do regular 15-20min presentations to colleagues and I hate them with a passion. Nowt worse than standing up in front of people and speaking
Old 21-03-06, 02:28 PM   #6
Lou M

Good Luck GYKD and welcome to Brum!

Nutty
Old 21-03-06, 02:41 PM   #7
chazzyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda M
I have to do regular 15-20min presentations to colleagues and I hate them with a passion.
How do your colleagues feel about you hating them?
Old 21-03-06, 02:53 PM   #8
kwak zzr

Wouldnt know where to start!
Old 21-03-06, 03:24 PM   #9
Amanda M

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzyb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda M
I have to do regular 15-20min presentations to colleagues and I hate them with a passion.
How do your colleagues feel about you hating them?
I don't think they'd be that surprised I hate doing presentations more though
Old 21-03-06, 03:46 PM   #10
tricky

Good luck GYKD,
I used to demonstrate crap software. It was normally to public sector and to users who didn't actually want any new software as they'd only just got the hang of the last lot.

Just relax, don't rush, try and make eye contact with as many audience members as you can. If you know you can make people smile, try and inject a little humour here and there but gauge this on the gravity of the subject and the level of the audience.

I'm sure you'll do great