SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-11-09, 03:37 PM   #11
Sosha

Default Re: SV running rough, cutting out

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine View Post
6 months old? there old plugs tbh how many miles done on them? I need to change mine every 3-4months.
Think I managed around 16k on mine and they were still fine when I sold it 2 years on & TBH doubt the first owner changed them either. Not to say I didn't check the gaps & peer at them mind.
Old 18-11-09, 03:41 PM   #12
lee67

i agree i never change plugs, remove em..a clean and regap is all thats needed....get a fender ext fitted if u havnt got one, and spray plenty of wd40 around the front plug..that should help greatly
Old 18-11-09, 11:40 PM   #13
the_elements_600

My 04 SV650s is having a similar problem, so rather than make another post, I'll write here

My SV was cutting out like that and it turned out to be a wet spark plug which was rectified at the bike shop whilst fitting a blueflame exhaust(which I have fallen in love with!!) However, the bike is still cutting out. Could this be a result of the exhaust being fitted? Or perhaps in need of a new spark plug?

Last edited by the_elements_600; 19-11-09 at 01:15 AM.
Old 19-11-09, 11:25 AM   #14
Sosha

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_elements_600 View Post
My SV was cutting out like that and it turned out to be a wet spark plug which was rectified at the bike shop whilst fitting a blueflame exhaust(which I have fallen in love with!!) However, the bike is still cutting out. Could this be a result of the exhaust being fitted? Or perhaps in need of a new spark plug?
Rectified for how long? Could it just have got wet again?
Old 19-11-09, 11:59 AM   #15
warrenhewitt10

TPS?
Old 19-11-09, 01:20 PM   #16
tayto94

i have had the same problem on mine twice....first time it blew the ignition coil on the back cylinder (common prob) and was only runninig on one.....fixed that..then after a while it started the prob you described...on the front cylinder..cutting out..having to keep at high revs...changed plug and all ok....

after while happened again..thought ignition coil on front cylinder was going..changed coil and plug and still same prob...leaving it idling it wouild idle fine for 10 secs den the revs would dip and then bike cut out...

changed plug cap on front cylinder and problem solved....

plug cap could be ur prob...bang a new one on
Old 19-11-09, 03:45 PM   #17
the_elements_600

Put a new set of plugs in, seems to be running fine for now. I'll give it a week or so and give another update
Old 19-11-09, 07:32 PM   #18
Alpinestarhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_elements_600 View Post
Put a new set of plugs in, seems to be running fine for now. I'll give it a week or so and give another update
Cool out of interest, what did the plugs look like when you changed them?
Old 19-11-09, 07:40 PM   #19
the_elements_600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinestarhero View Post
Cool out of interest, what did the plugs look like when you changed them?
They were black and slightly dirty and oily.

On another note, Took the bike out for another bit of a run today, seems to be running smoother but it cut out at a standstill once. I can only guess that the problem is the idle speed, which is currently a smidge over 1000 rpm. Just had a flick through the owner's manual...looks like a piece of cake to sort out!
Old 19-11-09, 09:24 PM   #20
empty

Black and oily isn't a great combo, you'd normally expect them to be a sort of dark brown. Does the bike burn any oil (visible smoke) or do you have to fill it up with oil often?

Idle speed should be approx 1300rpm. I'd also check the clamps holding the throttle bodies on are tight, the vacuum point rubbers are intact and, if you have gauges (or can borrow some) the throttle body balance.

MT