SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-01-10, 01:03 AM   #1
Elltg

Default Alternative gauges?

Hey guys, after finally rounding up all my parts gonna be rebuilding my faired curvy into a naked/street bike. I have come to a hump in the road ahead.....

What clocks can i get? I am willing to wire up my idiot lights myself i have done the research what i would like to know is your guys opinions on alternate clocks like the trail tech vapor and the veypor. Plus if there are any other options anyone knows anything about i would be very grateful!
Old 06-01-10, 10:40 PM   #2
empty

Default Re: Alternative gauges?

Acewell clocks - I've got some on my ex-faired SV. Works well, although I still haven't made the fuel gauge* work, speedo, rev counter, idiot lights (used the hazard triangle light for the temp light) all work, and it gives you two trip meters, average speed and a clock. Wiring it in wasn't that hard, there are a couple of specifics for the curvy but it is pretty easy.

This one in fact

Works with the SV speed sensor too.

MT

*By fuel gauge, I mean "gauge showing full, 1/4 full or empty because the SV doesn't have a continuous sensor so I've got to hack it". Sometime soon, when it isn't so cold.
Old 06-01-10, 11:44 PM   #3
Elltg

The seems almost perfect

So you say the 2856 (does the ap matter?) will give me speedo, rev counter, idiot lights (minus fuel for understandable reasons with the funky setup they have going there).

Could you tell me what stock sensors get used and what after market sensors have to be fitted?

Also in terms of wiring how much needs doing?

May have to purchase one this week if it is as good as it seems. I will see if i cant find some information because i cant sleep and have run out of things to do .... lol
Old 07-01-10, 12:27 AM   #4
empty

I think the AP means polished, there is a black one as well. You can use all the stock sensors, I just wired it into the loom. You will need to use a 1MOhm resistor in the rev counter line otherwise it won't work (it will read 17999rpm as soon as the engine is turned on!). It is all in the paperwork that comes with it. To wire it in I cut the original connector off, and soldered the new connectors in (it comes with 3 connectors so you can take it off). There are about 10 in total.

The speed sensor on the SV outputs 4 pulses per revolution of the wheel, so you will need to set the circumference to 1/4 what it actually is (depends on your tyre, I think mine is set to 439mm).

MT
Old 07-01-10, 01:45 AM   #5
davepreston

i used the vapour for mine but for idiot lights you have too buy a surround (also found on evilbay) ,peice of pish to fit and calibrate