SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Ancillaries Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on various other bits and bobs, such as rearsets, oil, engine bits.

Old 16-08-10, 09:32 PM   #31
empty

Default Re: Motorcycle Boots

I've had a set of Alpinestars tech road boots for the last 4 years. I bought them secondhand off ebay for £50, I've seen new pairs go for £100 or so (example in a slightly hideous colour- http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ALPINESTARS-TE...638783ff0db018). Other than the soles coming unglued about every 6 months (easily fixed - although I've not found the best glue yet as it only seems to last 6-12 months) they are pretty good, and I've worn them at work quite a few times when I've forgotten to take the keys to my locker. I also treat them to a clean/wax fairly regularly.

Reckon I should get another couple of years out of them.

MT
Old 18-12-10, 06:42 PM   #32
Smudge

I wouldn't recommend Sidi's as the pair I bought was crap but then again they was bought for looks not sensible wear and compfort.
My Alpinestars SMX-4 Boots have been the dogs hard wearing compfy and unlike most race boots don't feel like ski boots for walking around. oH and they are £90.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ALPINESTARS-SM...item20b536e19b
Old 18-12-10, 06:57 PM   #33
danf1234

I did the same and bought SIDI for the look and they criple me. When my new TCX arrive on Monday I am sure they will sort the problem, now I have ordered the correct size!
Old 18-12-10, 07:04 PM   #34
barwel1992

my sidi's are the most comfortable boots i have ever worn out of any boots eg work boots !

try them before you buy
Old 18-12-10, 07:19 PM   #35
Smudge

Sidi's are for lady or teenager feet stay clear if your a bloke 30 up with flat feet.
Most poser kit is uncompfertable thats why Frank Thomas and Belstaff did so well!
Old 18-12-10, 08:28 PM   #36
barwel1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmudgeK3 View Post
Sidi's are for lady or teenager feet stay clear if your a bloke 30 up with flat feet.
Most poser kit is uncompfertable thats why Frank Thomas and Belstaff did so well!
im 18 17stone size 9 boots, with flat feet not exactly your normal teen lol
Old 18-12-10, 08:54 PM   #37
metalhead19

I have flat and narrow feet and found my SIDIs comfortable.
Now got a pair of Alpinestars as they were the most winter suited in the shop and i desperately needed winter boots. No regrets so far, they are waterproof and fairly wind proof
Old 20-12-10, 12:10 PM   #38
Swin

had a pair of Sidi Vertebras a few years back, they were repairable by my local cobbler no problem and I didn't seem to have any issues with comfort as some people here have noticed.

I have a pair of Black Rains as my Vertebras finally gave up completely about a month ago - I usually take an 11 in boots, but went up to a 12 to alllow room for a thick sock - I did notice the Vertebras were a tight width fitting, but the Black Rains don't seem to be as noticeably narrow.
Swin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-10, 01:23 AM   #39
Smudge

Seems Sidis are better for narrow feet then like Shoei helmets for bulbas foreheads lol
Old 21-12-10, 03:35 AM   #40
rictus01
Mega Poster

there are three main types of bike boot, race,road and MX, all will do everything you want to a degree, but sacrifice towards their primary function,

Race boots are generally heavily armoured and aimed at maximum protection with articulation, normally with w thinner sole for good feel and a fairly shallow profiled/soft sole, this makes them quiet cold when standing around and the stiffness can make walking tiresome if not uncomfortable.

Road boots, these are a balance between protection, weather proofing and comfort, you can normally walk about in them without any difficulties as the are more flexible, the soles are generally cushioned for both comfort and warmth, and they also have and easy/ quick system to get them on and off (zip/velco).

MX boots, these are designed for off road use, normally a thicker leather construction and good ones take some "breaking in", they can have a steel shank in the sole to prevent any flex there as well as a sole grip designed to minimize clogging with mud, they are normally quit high legged and have stiff shin protection.

Various boot are a cross over between these three types, so it's important to decide what you want them for, if you are lucky enough to have more than one pair then choose the boot for the application you're putting it to.

for example I have a pair of smx plus for track work, these are lovely boots and for the job work very well, however there limitation is the ability and effort to walk around in them, so they get next to no daily use, I also have a pair of Wulf MX boots, these are solid and give great confident, I've been using these when recently riding on the snow and ice and in the past off road and they provide a good "foot down" well supported footing, once again although more comfortable than the SMX's they to have a limited walking comfort, I currently have two pairs of "road boots" one being a pair of RST waterproof ones, which are very comfortable, but have limited protection (some doubled leather in places, a heel cup and a semirigid shin) and the others are a pair of Alpinestar GPS boots, which are much the same kind of thing, I'll wear out a couple of pairs of road boots a year, but the MX and race boots have done me for several years already and will probably continue to for several more.

HTH

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote