SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Tyres Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 15-03-12, 03:43 PM   #351
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

Default Re: New Avon Storm Ultra's

How much?
Nobbylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-12, 04:46 PM   #352
_Stretchie_
Large Member
Mega Poster

I'm loving them, had a couple of sets on the BlackBird, had them on the Blade and I'm getting a new pair on the BlackBird tomorrow for £215 on loose wheels, and yep, I first noticed that band on the rear wheel after a bit of mileage at AR10 when my Blade and BlackBird were parked next to each other and some fella called Matt's ('Oi where's MY pasty) Triumph which all had the Ultra 2 on.

Look right-> <-Look Left
_Stretchie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-12, 10:49 PM   #353
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

I've been offered them at £199 fitted. As I only need a rear I've gone with a new road smart at £108
Nobbylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-12, 09:25 AM   #354
_Stretchie_
Large Member
Mega Poster

Bloody good price that

Look right-> <-Look Left
_Stretchie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-12, 12:03 PM   #355
Bibio
Mega Poster

roughly 8500 and i'm having to replace the front storm 2 ultra. not to happy as there is still tread left before the wear bars but the tyre profile looks like cone and is causing weird shimmy issues and is rather unnerving in corners especially in the wet. loads left in the middle and on the edge but the shoulders near goosed. it's either my riding style or there is something wrong with them. i'm getting another fitted but if this one does the same i think i'll be jumping ship which is a shame as they are cracking tyres.

2.5mm in middle, 1mm on shoulders, 4mm on edge
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-12, 01:11 PM   #356
Fluffer

Ok so mine has been near enough all motorway miles but my rear is looking like its about done in the middle, almost as knew on the edges I know I know get on twisties but surprised as its only about 4000 miles so far. Awaiting a track day which if I can get on it and get some use out of the shoulders before my mot asks for a knew tyre then fine otherwise will be pretty disappointed with it

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Fluffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-12, 06:08 PM   #357
Bibio
Mega Poster

don't think i will be getting these again. there is something seriously wrong. its not the first set i have had and i have used the old mk1's before hand which were fantastic.

tar joints and ruts, the ultras don't like them where the mk1's never caused any worries. they slip at any given opportunity over tar. at one point the back wheel spun up when i passed over worn road surface that was just tar left and almost put me on my arz.

uneven surface, they are all over the shop and its a fighting battle to keep the bike on the straight.

cats eye's and reflective paint. not nice in the wet and slippy as feck.

i was really hopping that the ultras would just be the mk1's with more life due to the dual compound but they are not and i personally think they are a harder compound all round with an even harder centre to the rear to increase the mileage. i was having to dodge things like metal covers and ruts where with the mk1's it never really mattered what surface you were on they took everything with ease. ok so it might be my bike but i very much doubt that as i have not changed a single thing, could it be my suspension that is worn.. doubt it in 10,000 miles but you never know. rider loosing his bottle.. most probably.

in the dry i feel there is very little difference apart from joints in the road to the mk1's but in the wet it's a very different story and they do not inspire confidence like the older ones.
Old 18-06-12, 06:17 PM   #358
rictus01
Mega Poster

whilst I appreciate everyone has there own experiences, I chose these for the Pegaso as the bike was new to me and I wanted something I knew well, I've had 12 sets of these and never a problem, I had 7 sets of the originals as well, whilst the centre is a little harder the shoulders I've found to be very similar on both and have a great deal of confidence in them, of course as you say many things effect tyre performance, pressure, suspension, riding style to name but a few, and of course I suppose it's always possible to get a duff set (although I never have), but tyres are about confidence and once you've lost it in a particular set then very little will get it back.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-12, 06:35 PM   #359
Bibio
Mega Poster

don't get me wrong Mark i think they are still good tyres but not as good as the older ones which were fantastic where the ultras i feel are competent. mileage matters to me but not as much as grip and i would rather get 4,000 out a rear with great grip than 6,000 with good grip.

my rear is hitting 5,500 and looks to go about another 2,000-3,000 more where the older ones were gubbed in 4,000. the last front was gone in 9,000 prematurely due to cupping where the older ones were done in 8,000 but kept their profile a little better.

i hate looking for new tyres because if i don't like them i will have them taken off and put in the bin rather than make do. i ride for self indulgent pleasure so if i'm not enjoying myself and having to worry then things get changed.

i'll give these another few hundred miles and if there is no change due to the front being new (scrubbed for 400 miles yesterday) then they will get changed.
Old 18-06-12, 06:55 PM   #360
rictus01
Mega Poster

As I said it's all about confidence, I normally get around 10k out of a rear ultra and about 12k out of the front, as I go through a few in a year Mielage is important, but if I didn't have confidence in them I wouldn't have them on, for example I got my SV new and the standard Metz4's got a stanley knife and skip after 30 miles as I wouldn't inflict them on anyone, I'm looking to try the roadsmart 2's next, but as the Pegaso was new to me it wasn't the time to try them.

Have you tried playing with the pressures as I found the standard pressures to be a little hard and dropped the front 4 psi and the rear 6, perhaps I'm a little fussy but on any change to the bike I spend time to "adjust" to my liking.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote