SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 19-07-12, 10:08 AM   #1
hindle8907
Mega Poster

Default Google Nexus 7

Missing SD Card slot and no OFFICIAL Flash support

Sounds familiar ?

OMG THE WORLD IS GOING TO END !!!!!

That is all.

2010-Now -- 00 SV650s & 00 SV650n & GSXR 600 K2
hindle8907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-12, 10:22 AM   #2
pookie

Default Re: Google Nexus 7

yeah sounds like the android x86 port to me
Now - 2010 Triton blue sv650s -Back to the future
pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-12, 10:27 AM   #3
timwilky
Mega Poster

SD card support means I wouldn't consider it.

the TF700t sounds more like my cup of tea. But at a price premium
Old 19-07-12, 12:18 PM   #4
_Stretchie_
Large Member
Mega Poster

Ah but you've got to think of the tech in it and what YOU want it for.

I been looking at this, at first it really bothered me as someone who would like to buy one, no SD slot, so rear camera, no SIM, but then I thought about it.

If you compare other models that are in their own respective bands (e.g. 10.1 tablets) how much extra do you pay for the better screen or bigger processor, this has current screen tech and processors and separate graphics processor.

I have an iPad from work, it's about £500 and it's great for surfing the web or getting e-mails when off site, but that's it for me personally, there is no way on this earth that I would pay that much of my own money for one, that's a compressor, blast cabinet, parts washer plus extras, stuff that are actually useful. The Nexus 7 is £160 / £200 so you can't compare it to the iPad anyway

No SD slot
It's all swings and roundabouts, if you carry your life on the machine then it's a problem, if you don't, it's not. I have an 8GB card in my Deisre HD and there is currently 4.73GB free, I don't download music or films to it but do have several Spotify playlists downloaded to it for offline use in the garage, e-books don't take up a load of room (ha, like I read). Even chokka full of pictures and video from the phones camera I've never ran out of space.

If it's REALLY the only thing stopping you would you root the device? If the answer is yes then get over to the forums, they have a patch so that you can use a cable to use USB devices and subsequently USB sticks

No SIM (3G or otherwise)
I'm not the kind of person who would sit in a coffee shop or other public place with it out playing with it (the tablet), nothing wrong with it, just not me, but if I did need mobile data, I'd just tether it to my phone, job done and one less bill to pay

No rear camera
Name me a tablet with a decent rear camera (don't say iPad as I have one and it's less than crap).... I wouldn't use the rear camera on it if it had one, I'd use my phone and transfer across or up to photobucket, job done

I want one

Look right-> <-Look Left

Last edited by _Stretchie_; 19-07-12 at 12:26 PM.
_Stretchie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-12, 02:25 PM   #5
Fluffer

Got mine last night and its lovely. I was always against iPad with lack of storage etc and yes this is along the same lines but a half hour fiddle will have it rooted and then USB working and then unlimited swapping of memory cards. For the price its a beautiful piece of kit great build quality and the bang for buck is the best out there. Rear cameras as mentioned earlier are generally pointless ( for me atleast) so this does away with that. Jelly bean android is super smooth too, I know people knock android for being laggy / jerky but now the UI experience is right up there with iOS.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Fluffer is offline   Reply With Quote