SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-01-13, 02:31 PM   #1
Fluffer

Default DIY Tracker: Extra battery queries

Hi All,

Had a thought the other day - i've got an old iphone 3gs lying around with a dead backlight that i attempted to fix.

Its got GPS, mobile signal and can run apps etc so i thought of finding a way of installing it into the bike without its screen with preinstalled gps tracking software from the app store (findmyiphone and all that gubbins) - i could have it track its location and send texts / emails if it were to move etc or track normally via webpage etc.

Its got its own internal battery but this may only last a couple / few days if it was left running without riding the bike and charging it fully so thought about a small leisure battery or something that is bigger than the internal and can be charged from the main battery when i ride. Anyone done anything like this? How would i set up the charge circuit? I've got a 12v 7ah (i think) house alarm battery hanging around at the mo - thought of trying that to provide more juice to the phone whilst not draining the main battery. The datatool i've got must already work in similar way charging its own internal battery.

This is more for the electronics experimentation and finding a use for the dead phone that anything else so intrigued how easy it would be to do and how little i could make a custom tracker for. And of course, It would be cool to have if god forbid the bike went missing (though i've read the debates on the actual successful use of trackers to police etc!).

Ta,
Craig
Fluffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-13, 02:35 PM   #2
Joe Marcon

2430mah battery could help. Alot bigger than standard, sounds a good cheap idea, i use device locator on my phone (£3 i think)

Sent from my iPhone
Old 21-01-13, 02:48 PM   #3
Fluffer

Default Re: DIY Tracker: Extra battery queries

Very good point - i could get a good boost from just doing that and then wiring up a standard 5v ciggie lighter type charger. Less hassle... though i guess in both implementations it needs me to ride enough to give it a good charge, or leave it accesible enough to remove easily and pop in the house... or even just swap the cheapy 3gs batteries in and out.

Might have to get on this sooner than later! I'd better remove the dubious photography from the phone first tho - dont want a stolen bike and then the culprits seeing all the Mrs Fluffers in uncompromising situations lol

Cheers
Old 21-01-13, 03:15 PM   #4
Joe Marcon

Now i know i may steal your bike lol. The battery is £10 off ebay, very easy to change, this battery is for a friends .

Sent from my iPhone
Old 21-01-13, 03:25 PM   #5
85jas

A solution to keeping your iPhone always on could be one one of these badboys...

http://www.mini-box.com/OpenUPS

You could use it to keep another battery charged off your bike's supply, which you can then run your iphone off using a 5V regulator as you mention. It'll charge pretty much any battery chemistry and voltage so you could use a 6V / 12V lead acid, 7.2v Li-Po, stack o' NiMHs, whatever you have hanging around - might look a bit serious but they are a breeze to set up and it gives you huge flexibility for your 2nd battery. Easy to set up with Windows + USB, waterproof box, relay on the input, job's a good'un! It is £100 though, which is a bit ridiculous for your needs, but the £25 picoUPS will charge 12V lead acids, there's a UK supplier here

Of course this is going down the road of geeky project, not sure if that's what you're after

Last edited by 85jas; 21-01-13 at 03:34 PM.
Old 22-01-13, 02:06 AM   #6
Fluffer

Geek projects seem to be taking over most of my time at the mo! Interesting options on the ups thingies, I may well look at using them for other things like sticking a raspberry pi in the car and having it power down cleanly etc after ignition off etc

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Old 22-01-13, 08:02 AM   #7
MMN

Why not just connect a charger cable?
Old 22-01-13, 02:11 PM   #8
85jas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffer View Post
I may well look at using them for other things like sticking a raspberry pi in the car and having it power down cleanly etc after ignition off etc
My plan exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMN View Post
Why not just connect a charger cable?
This I think...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffer View Post
...Its got its own internal battery but this may only last a couple / few days if it was left running without riding the bike and charging it fully...
Old 22-01-13, 02:28 PM   #9
Fluffer

Yep, the cable makes sense but with the larger battery capacity - often i go without using the bike for a week so wouldnt want the phone going dead too quickly or running down the bike battery by charging directly.