SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

View Poll Results: Have You Been Stopped?
Yes, and got done. 27 21.60%
Yes, but just got a talking to. 47 37.60%
Never been stopped. 51 40.80%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30-07-09, 05:33 AM   #1
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

Default Have You Ever Been Stopped By The Police?

I'd be interested to know how many Org-ers have actually been stopped by the police while out and about on their bikes, and what the outcome was.

Pete and I have been stopped twice in the last 8 years. Both times we have been lucky enough to be stopped by a copper who used his judgement, had a conversation with us, then allowed us on our way with no repercussions.

What was your experience and what did you get done for?

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-09, 05:59 AM   #2
Milky Bar Kid

Default Re: Have You Ever Been Stopped By The Police?

I just got stopped for a routine check, hadn't done anything wrong and they were stopping everyone.
Old 30-07-09, 06:10 AM   #3
rictus01
Mega Poster

I think it's a rather ambiguous question really, it all depends on so many factors

a. how much you ride
b. how long you have been riding
c. where you ride
d. how you ride
e. what the current police agenda happens to be

so what exacrly are you after, is it the fairness of stops and has it changed, or do there still target regular bike meets, or even the fact they are told on occasion to push bike ticket to meet some internal target ?

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-09, 06:14 AM   #4
lukemillar
Mega Poster

I got stopped for doing 70mph in a 30 and somehow got away with it.

(This was about 12 years ago now)

I was driving home from work about 9:30pm and my mate, Dan, was driving behind me. We get into our village and I didn't see this police car drive right the way around the roundabout and follow us (their resasoning was that we were racing which we weren't). I look in my mirror and see two headlights pull out from behind and then pull in again. I assume it is Dan trying to overtake me. My rear windscreen is covered in dirt, so I can just see headlights.

We eventually turn into the last road before our houses and then car behind starts revving, getting a few metres from my bumper and flashing their headlights frantically. I assume Dan is up for a race so I floor it! (yeah yeah, young and foolish ) Anyways, I get up to 70, apexing corners and the car behind stays glued to my bumper flashing their headlights. Just as I get to my house, they put on their blue lights. I **** my pants.

They wave Dan over as well, which I don't get as he had done anything and then start shouting at as, saying they could take their licences away and stuff. Then they say they are going to remember us and they know who we are - get into their car and drive off. I don't know if they got an important call over the radio or what. Random.
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-09, 06:14 AM   #5
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01 View Post
I think it's a rather ambiguous question really, it all depends on so many factors

so what exacrly are you after, is it the fairness of stops and has it changed, or do there still target regular bike meets, or even the fact they are told on occasion to push bike ticket to meet some internal target ?

Cheers Mark.
All of the above.

We're constantly hearing of clampdowns about small plates, loud exhausts etc, so I'm curious to see whether those reasons are mostly why people get stopped, or whether it's for going a little faster than the limit, or something else.

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-09, 06:19 AM   #6
kellyjo

My OH got a talking to at the weekend cos he was doing 40 in a 30 zone, so fair enough. The thing is that i was a way behind also doing 40 so cop caught me up and overtook me then caught up my OH and when we got to lights he got out and warned OH that if he continued to speed he was risking points. Thats is all fair enough, just seems a bit hypocritical cos the cop had been going faster than both of us to catch OH up!
Old 30-07-09, 06:30 AM   #7
rictus01
Mega Poster

Hmmmm well having a fair number of friends either in traffic or have been, they indeed do have targeted groups and certain times of the year (as it when it first gets sunny and all the summer riders come onto the road) and also sunny sundays, they will also have a few swings at regular bike meets such as Boxhill or Oakdene (in between the nicey nicey we're here to help you ones),likewise the DVLA will have police to enforce their stops.

So if you only go to regular bike meets on a sunny sunday you stand a good chance or more than most anyway.

But in the main, the normal coppers aren't that concerned as long as you don't do something right infront of them, and actually finding a real traffic cop these days is hard enough anyway.

But in answer to you poll question yes to the first two, and also several other outcomes.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!

Last edited by rictus01; 30-07-09 at 06:32 AM.
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-09, 06:41 AM   #8
custard

got stopped for accelarating faster than area car could

tells me i must have been going for it cos he could hear me half a mile away.

me - really? thats the standard exhaust.

him - and i know you were speeding because i had to do 90 to catch you up.

me - puzzled expression, trying not to laugh given previous statement about him being 1/2 a mile behind...

and 110 down an empty slip road. rolled off as a coach moved inot my lane, sat up looked in my mirror to see a grey skoda trying not lose control and ram me. check mirrors again and notice blue lights...

am being given a proper telling off when his partner notices warrant card in tank bag... reduced to 90 and 3 points...
Old 30-07-09, 06:43 AM   #9
madness

Never been stopped since geting the SV (6 months).

However, when I was 18, I got pulled on my 125 for doing 70 in a 30 and just got a talking to. Also, in my younger days, I got pulled quite a few times in cars, but only ever got done once.
Old 30-07-09, 06:53 AM   #10
Mr_Chin

In the last 9 years, I've been stopped once.

It was about 4 months ago - I was stopped for my private number plate. I was kindly told about the regulations about private number plates, as my plate is 7 x 5, has a small font (but not ridiculiously small or tampered with to look like any other digits), and that one of the digits on the top line should have been on the bottom line.

Anyways, I was only given a verbal warning about it, and told to go on my way. No points, fine or even recorded.

Not all PCs are bad!

Chin