SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-02-15, 12:09 AM   #1
barryreynolds

Default Pointy speedo on a curvy

Will a pointy speedo fit a curvy?

If not is there a better speedo than the trail tech vapor as that looks a bit slow to respond.

Thanks
Old 16-02-15, 03:14 AM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Pointy speedo on a curvy

give TamSV a pm. he knows exactly how to wire an inexpensive and very small speedo on a curvy.

orrr why not just use a curvy one.

have a read through http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=153421
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-15, 04:45 PM   #3
TamSV
Mega Poster

Stig put a pointy speedo on a curvy. It's not a straight swap - the wiring and functions aren't all the same so you would need to mess about with the wiring as well as fabbing a bracket for it (as you would with any aftermarket unit). IIRC speedo and main idiot lights were OK and fuel light worked to an extent but I think he had a problem with the tacho.

I've got an Acewell and everything works well after a bit of trial and error. Doesn't work with the standard SV speedo pick-up but I wasn't using that anyway.

What's up with the Trail Tech Vapor? Barwel had one on his pointy and recommended it.
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-15, 10:37 PM   #4
barryreynolds

Thanks for the responses guys.

The trail tech looked to have lag on a youtube clip I saw for the tachometer. If this is ok i would get it?
Old 17-02-15, 12:28 PM   #5
TamSV
Mega Poster

Rev counter seems to the thing that causes some problems with other clocks on SV's. I had some issues with mine jumping around and reading double although I seem to have solved it by rerouting the cable - I think it was picking up a double signal from somewhere.

Barwel also had some issues with the revs jumping but sorted it with a resistor from the manufacturer I think.

If accurate revs are the most important thing, you might be best sticking to OEM?
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-15, 09:28 PM   #6
empty

I have an Acewell on my curvy, using the original front wheel sensor - in fact I just wired it into the loom, the speed sensor outputs 4 pulses per revolution, so you have to set the wheel circumference to a quarter of what it actually is. Rev counter went a bit mad to start with, but adding a 1MOhm resistor in line sorted it (think that this was described in the manual - seem to remember manual was fairly good). Only thing that currently doesn't work is the fuel gauge, as the SV uses 2 thermistors as sensors for the idiot lights, whereas the Acewell expects to see a 100 Ohm variable resistor. When I can be bothered (and, as it's been maybe 4 years now, it's unlikely to be any time soon), I'll build a circuit using a couple of FETs (or relays) so I at least get some indication.