SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 10-12-17, 04:20 PM   #5221
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
All heading to Lakeside for a shopping trip, should've stayed at home.
Multiple lorry pile up

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 10-12-17, 04:23 PM   #5222
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Multiple lorry pile up

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Well they are professional drivers and shouldn't drive like plonkers, but unfortunately it's not the case.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-17, 04:29 PM   #5223
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_SVS View Post
Which is about 95% of road users
One of my team was delayed due to the chaos on the roads.
Traffic came to a standstill at one point due to a lady breaking down in her Merc. She broke down next to a layby and motorists offered to push her car into it as it was blocking the carriageway. But she refused, stating the recovery truck was on it way. Daft bint, it couldn't get to her due to the queue backed up behind her car!
Old 10-12-17, 04:32 PM   #5224
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
I have Nokian WR-D3 winter tyres on the car and they are awesome and exceeded my expectations - better in mud than summer tyres as well.
Trouble is if in traffic you will still be held up with everyone else, and some numpty bound to slide into you - it is not only traction
for pulling away you need but also for stopping the vehicle.

a 4x4 with summer tyres is a chocolate teapot in snow. Just watched a Volvo 4x4 fail on the least sloping bit of roads off our estate --
sorry that should have gone into 'smile of the day' section LOL

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-new...rip-test-video
its not the tyres its the driver. i have never used 'winter tyres' and i have never been stuck in snow or mud.

first year of passing my test it was a bad winter and one of the mates showed me how to drive in snow properly and that was in a rear wheel drive car. i then taught myself how to drive in snow with a front wheel drive, same principle but different accelerator use in manoeuvres.

biggest mistake people make is stamping on the accelerator and putting the brakes on too late.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-17, 04:33 PM   #5225
Red ones
Mega Poster

Schools shut tomorrow. Means kids home all day and the subsequent mess all over the house then.

But the real gripe is how useless the county council is. They don't have a list of closed schools they just say phone the school or listen to inane chatter on local radio for hours on end for the expected despair. I guess it's because academisation has meant very few schools report to county any more. So now every school uses a different system to keep parents informed. But schools aren't great at communicating with parents and even less so digitally.
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-17, 04:35 PM   #5226
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
Well they are professional drivers and shouldn't drive like plonkers, but unfortunately it's not the case.
Professional driver my ar53 - about 10 years ago we went to Ayr in Scotland in February to visit some friends, went to bed Saturday night no snow, woke up Sunday morning to about a foot of the white stuff.

Managed to make it back to motorway and headed south (it was closed to northbound traffic at Carlisle) and the traffic was traveling quite well at about 30mph in nearside lane with central lane still full of snow, numpty HGV drivers thought they could do better and went into snowcovered lane at stupid speed, disaster when they jack-knifed and stopped everyone, HGV were also responsible for blocking northbound lane by doing same stupid trick.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-17, 04:45 PM   #5227
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Brexit. All the EU delivery drivers are heading home so I have to wait ages for my pizza. Theresa May has a lot to answer for
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-17, 04:48 PM   #5228
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
its not the tyres its the driver. i have never used 'winter tyres' and i have never been stuck in snow or mud.

first year of passing my test it was a bad winter and one of the mates showed me how to drive in snow properly and that was in a rear wheel drive car. i then taught myself how to drive in snow with a front wheel drive, same principle but different accelerator use in manoeuvres.

biggest mistake people make is stamping on the accelerator and putting the brakes on too late.
You can only get so far on summer tyres no matter how careful you are, I have been through our worst winters with rear wheel drive (bag of sand in boot and an egg on the accelerator and brake pedal, pull the handbrake on a bit to sort the diff out from spinning tyre with least grip ) and front wheel drive - better up to a point but still limited by tyres, but after getting stuck trying to get up hill off our estate a few time (only way in and out and it is not gritted) I got some winter tyres, they really are a game changer - on steel wheels they protect the brakes from all the salt and crud and save your expensive alloys from salt and kerbing. Once you have made initial purchase they save your summer tyres from wear, your alloys from corrosion and are much better on cold wet roads as well as snow. I tend to keep cars for a while nowadays and will get my moneys worth out of them.

When we were younger me and my brothers used to go out and practice whenever we had snow, deliberately getting into skids and controlling them. I am a winter tyre convert now, in last couple of days they have got up and down hills I would not have believed possible in a front wheel drive car. And as a bonus winter tyres are quieter than my summers and also a better ride.

With higher temperatures down south we tend to get wet snow, which easily melts and loses grip when you drive on it, in lower temperatures snow has more grip, in fact as arctic explorers discovered at really low temperatures snow is like sandpaper and its bl00dy hard work dragging a sled, as no water layer melts to lower friction.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 10-12-17 at 06:39 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-17, 06:52 PM   #5229
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Professional driver my ar53 - about 10 years ago we went to Ayr in Scotland in February to visit some friends, went to bed Saturday night no snow, woke up Sunday morning to about a foot of the white stuff.

Managed to make it back to motorway and headed south (it was closed to northbound traffic at Carlisle) and the traffic was traveling quite well at about 30mph in nearside lane with central lane still full of snow, numpty HGV drivers thought they could do better and went into snowcovered lane at stupid speed, disaster when they jack-knifed and stopped everyone, HGV were also responsible for blocking northbound lane by doing same stupid trick.
I was being ironic
Old 10-12-17, 07:41 PM   #5230
pookie

not enough snow My snow tyres still havent been used since I bought them 3 years ago
Now - 2010 Triton blue sv650s -Back to the future
pookie is offline   Reply With Quote