SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 03-08-23, 07:39 PM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default "Foundation"

I read "Foundation" (and its sequels "Foundation and Empire" and "Second Foundation") many years ago. There are more sequels now but not written by Isaac Asimov (who died in '92)

Anyway, I started watching the tv series and thought: "I don't remember that". So I picked up the book again.

In the tv series Gaal Dornick (a mathematician) and Salvor Hardin (Warden of Terminus) are female and related, mother and daughter. Interesting because in the book they are male and I'm only on the 3rd page. Terrorists bringing down the space elevator killing millions? Never happened in the book (there wasn't a space elevator).

I suppose they at least kept the names.
Old 03-08-23, 09:12 PM   #2
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default Re: "Foundation"

Do you suppose the screenwriters even read the book then?
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-23, 07:02 AM   #3
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
Do you suppose the screenwriters even read the book then?

They must have. The whole premise is a mathematician (Hari Seldon) who develops a new maths based science called pyschohistory which predicts actions of large groups of people and thus the fall of the Empire (a treasonous statement). The Empire had been in existence for 11,000 years. He says it's impossible to stop but the Dark Ages that follow can be limited to 1000 years by the creation of the Foundation (a repository of knowledge).
His predictions all come to pass until a mutant appears (The Mule) with the ability to influence people and make them do what he wants. Since psychohistory predicts actions of a large society's actions the Mule's appearance was not foreseen.

They have basically followed that idea but decided that it needed a less male based approach (it was written in the 1940s) and more space battles (!) I don't recall the robot wars that have been referred to either and the fact that the Emperor has the only robot left in existence (and it's female shaped, obviously ) Oh, and nobody except the Emperor knows it's a robot (hundreds if not thousands of years old). These future people aren't very observant.

The young girl mathematician (Gaal) also gets glimpses of the future (not in the book) and so we know the Mule is coming which throws a wrench in the plot imho (since he wasn't predicted) and I'm not good at spotting plot holes.

Since I'm a SciFi fan, I'll keep watching but I wish it followed the books more closely. I guess Apple tv thought it needed more "gee whiz".
Old 04-08-23, 08:12 AM   #4
garynortheast
Mega Poster

I remember reading the trilogy back in the 60s and being engrossed by it. One of my daughters has been reading it recently along with the extra sequels.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-23, 08:14 AM   #5
Craig380
Mega Poster

Have you read Hugh Howey's Silo books, or seen the series?
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-23, 12:50 PM   #6
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
Have you read Hugh Howey's Silo books, or seen the series?

I know of the series but not watched it nor read the books. Although the theme of living underground long after the threat has gone I have read in other books.
Old 04-08-23, 05:25 PM   #7
Craig380
Mega Poster

Yeah, it isn't original by any means but it is quite well realised.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-23, 07:02 PM   #8
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
Yeah, it isn't original by any means but it is quite well realised.

Yes, I've seen some good reviews, I'll take a look and I have some Waterstones credit so maybe pick up the book too.