SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-10-13, 06:36 PM   #1
Mikey360

Default CBR internals in SV forks?

So just been reading up on the SV rider about changing the fork internals and upper fork tubes on an SV to the units off CBR forks.
Seems like a fantastic and cheaper solution to sort out the front end without drilling for emulators or the ol' gsxr swap.
I know that the F3 CBR fork internals and uppers will fit, but does anyone know if another CBR variants or other fork internals + uppers will fit?
Old 28-10-13, 09:08 PM   #2
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: CBR internals in SV forks?

It's no cheaper than emulators.
Old 28-10-13, 09:51 PM   #3
Mikey360

I can source a pair of forks for around £50, how much are emulators? I remember reading about having to get the lower fork legs drilled or something?
Old 29-10-13, 08:07 AM   #4
MJC-DEV

Debrix emulators cost me about £45 buying one off from the states (group buys are cheaper again) . The rest you could do yourself or as in my case a mate helped out and drilled the damper rods and fitted them for me
Old 29-10-13, 09:28 AM   #5
Runako

For £50 the CBR internals are by far better value. Having access to all the tools to do the Debrix mod makes it easier for sure. But, according to the instructions for fitting on a pointy, you also need to make a spacer to provide a seal between the emulator valve and damper rod as its not an exact fit. I've heard some skipped this step. All I can say is that I didn't and ended up with a valve that fitted perfectly to the damper.

However, it cost me to have this spacer machined to the exact spec (£10). I'm aware I may have overpaid and that if you find the right diameter of pipe you can do this yourself but, as I said, having all the right materials and tools is a luxury, which I didn't have.

Then the time taken to make sure everything fits, cutting the pre-load spacers (without f'cking it up) and drilling the rods (also without f'cking it up) made the process timely. For your price, or even double, I would have more than considered CBR internals if its drop in and play.

Last edited by Runako; 29-10-13 at 09:29 AM.
Old 29-10-13, 12:21 PM   #6
Mikey360

Hmmmmmm emulators are tempting but as Runako & MJC-DEV has said, I don't fancy getting them drilled and a spacer fitted, the CBR option seems easier and cheaper.

One thing that may be of interest incase anyone comes across this in future, is the fact that the CBR forks are longer than the stock SV forks, so to keep the geometry stable, the forks must be sticking out the top yolk around an inch and a half (I think) so that means if you've got bars rather than clip ons, be aware that you may need to rise them slightly for them to fit correctly.
Old 29-10-13, 12:38 PM   #7
Bibio
Mega Poster

anything with a 41mm tube should fit, i think there is a kawasaki one that fits also. i looked into this a while ago and yes if you can get the donor forks cheaper then it will be better than emu's. i think i also read you have to drill out the bottom fork tube holes or use a larger bolt to make the bolt fit or something like that.

one is as much messing about as the other as you only have to take the damper rod out the SV forks to fit emu's where you have to completely disassemble the SV forks to graft CBR internals.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-13, 04:26 PM   #8
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Check spring lengths too.

On one hand you have very well known solution, on other hand potential superior solution but a bit more messing. If you want cartridge forks just use GSXR ones and get comp adjusters too. Of course you can revalve for separate rebound and comp adjustment on CBR too if you want but not so easy.

If naked or with bar conversion... extra length is pain.

You can also put cartridges to standard tubes... but, well, have fun.
Old 29-10-13, 05:25 PM   #9
MJC-DEV

Also, you can get a spare set of damper rods to drill first before you take your's apart. I think Yorkie Chris even does an exchange serive on fully modded damper rods with spacers so you get get a full set of parts before tou even begin.
Old 29-10-13, 05:54 PM   #10
Runako

The attraction for me would be the price. If I had a budget of £100 for good 2nd hand CBR forks (with DIY'ing no harder than the Debrix installation) I'd have gone for it as my impression is it's a superior mod.

If £100> I'd start thinking about Cartidges. But, even for the debrix mod its advisable to uprate springs from stock, which I did prior to the installation, so new springs for CBR forks is the same difference.

Anything else, e.g. re-valving etc is money money money and I'd be pursuaded to go for the best I could afford i.e. front end.