SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-11-23, 04:51 PM   #1
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default Tyres.

For the last few years I've been using Pirelli Angel ST tyres on the SV, prior to that Pirelli Diablo Stradas.

I'm now just looking for a pair of Angel ST tyres as the rear is not far from the wear limit, and while I can find a rear 160/60/17 I can't find a front 120/60/17 anywhere. The only pairs I can find in the sizes I need are the Angel GT which are about £70 a pair more expensive. What I'm wondering is whether the GTs last longer enough than the STs to make it worthwhile stumping up for them.

I suspect in the absence of any of the correct sized front STs I may have no choice but to by the GTs.

Damn!
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-23, 04:59 PM   #2
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Default Re: Tyres.

Would you consider another brand?

Sent from my moto g(50) using Tapatalk
Old 09-11-23, 06:16 PM   #3
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Only if I absolutely have to. I've tried lots of different tyres over the years and the Pirellis are perfect for the SV. I particularly like the handling characteristics of them. The Diablo Stradas and the Angel STs both have (had) a very quick response to steering inputs. I've never found anything else that responds like them. The closest I've come was with a pair of Metzler Road Techs, but even they weren't quite as responsive.
Old 09-11-23, 07:28 PM   #4
admin
John T
Mega Poster

I agree on the Metzeler Roadtec. They were the last tyres I had on the VFR and they were very impressive. Nice quick steering.

Old 10-11-23, 04:52 PM   #5
redtrummy

My SV came fitted with Metzs (a long time ago granted). They were on about the same level as Michelin ZX s fitted to cars in the 70s, great on dry roads, lethal on anything else . Could not wait to get rid of them.
They must have pulled there socks up in the intervening years.
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-23, 05:19 PM   #6
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtrummy View Post
My SV came fitted with Metzs (a long time ago granted). They were on about the same level as Michelin ZX s fitted to cars in the 70s, great on dry roads, lethal on anything else . Could not wait to get rid of them.
They must have pulled there socks up in the intervening years.
Yes I remember them on my curvy. Lethal things.

Old 11-11-23, 09:13 AM   #7
BoltonSte
Mega Poster

Everyone has a different opinion, I have used GT's though.

My Superduke came with GT's. They were squared off when I got the bike at ~4k - I assume the previous owner did a lot of straight roads. Left them on as I got used to the bike.

Bit marmite with KTM riders: no grip, no confidence, wear out etc...They held up well for a couple of track days and another 3k or so. Wet/dry warm/cold I had no real issues with them. I think they'd have lasted forever on my curvy.
I had Metz Roadtec Z6 on a street triple which were great tyres warm/cold wet/dry, I'd buy again for an SV/ST. Mich Pilots which were OK didn't have the bike long enough to find out how long they'd last.
Now on Mich Road 6's (deal as they were just coming out) and I think they are on 2 track days (Fast inters) and about 5k holding up well and let me hoon about when I'm in the mood wet or dry.

Ste

Ste
BoltonSte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-23, 09:37 AM   #8
yokohama

I have the GT2s on my yammy 900. The rear lasted about 8,300 before it was replaced but the bike has a lot of torque at the rear and can be heavy on the wear. So I'd expect more miles from the SV, especially if you are easy on the throttle. Front is still fine approaching 10,000.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-23, 10:00 AM   #9
Craig380
Mega Poster

I swear by Avon Storm 3Ds. Really good grip, nimble handling and long-lasting, I get 14K from a rear and 17K from a front.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-23, 10:51 AM   #10
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Just been looking for the Storm 3D and they appear to have been discontinued from the end of last year. The Spirit is the direct replacement but a pair in my sizes is heading for £300!
National Bike Tyres are advertising a pair of the Angel GTs for £222. Still a lot more than I'm used to paying for my tyres but I may have to go for them as it's the best and most affordable pair deal I can find.