SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-02-06, 10:48 PM   #1
Knaapie

Default Upgrading the internals on stock SV forks?

I have been wondering around on this forum for some time, but haven't found what I was looking for. You all know the most urgent modification on the SV, which is mounting better springs and thicker oil. However, on the website of the Minitwin Championship (especially this part http://www.minitwins.co.uk/suppliers/mhpexhausts.html) I found these two options:

Product Fork Springs & Preparation (Maxton)
Machine Suzuki SV650S
Price £ 300
Comments Includes modified internals, springs and all preparation

Machine Suzuki SV650S
Price £ 479
Comments Includes complete revalve, springs and all preparation

Is there someone out there who can tell what they mean with modified internals or a revalve on the stock SV fork? GSX-R forks aren't allowed in the Minitwin Championship, so this is definitely for a stock fork. But that's damping rod fork and not a cartridge fork...

Any help would be appreciated. I'm still looking for something better than the stiffer springs I already have in my fork right now.
Old 16-02-06, 01:05 AM   #2
northwind
Mega Poster

I'd drop Maxton a line, see what they have in mind. I think they're a Race Tech dealer, from memory. As you picked up, you can't revalve a stock fork since it has no valves
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-06, 08:37 AM   #3
Knaapie

Will try that. Hopefully I get an answer, although I don´t live in the UK.

I thought that perhaps some members of the forum who race in the Minitwin championship would have some experience with this sort of modifications.
Old 16-02-06, 08:48 AM   #4
Halonic

£300!!!! Christ!!!

it took my dad and I about 2 1/2 hours on saturday to fit hagon progressive springs and 15w oil to Daisy. And we had neither clue nor experience, just a haynes manual and a torque wrench.

The springs and oil only cost £62.50 (full retail, inc vat), so how many cups of tea were they planning to make whilst they knock out your springs and charge you £237.50 for the privilage?
Old 16-02-06, 08:58 AM   #5
SpankyHam

I'll upgrade mine on Saturday with ohlins.

Just having trouble getting 15WT oil. None of the local dealers have it in Stock - not even Hein Gericke.

I wonder why as 15WT seems the most popular choice.
Old 16-02-06, 09:04 AM   #6
Knaapie

Well, it's not about the springs alone. As you can see they also offer modified internals and/or a complete revalve. The thing I would like to know is what that means on stock SV forks.
Old 16-02-06, 09:18 AM   #7
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knaapie
Well, it's not about the springs alone. As you can see they also offer modified internals and/or a complete revalve. The thing I would like to know is what that means on stock SV forks.
I imagine a revalve would be adding emulators.
Old 16-02-06, 09:19 AM   #8
jonboy

I've just gone from using 15w oil back down to 10w and now wish I'd never gone with 15. With decent springs, the right amount of fresh oil, and the correct air gaps, I've found that 10w makes the front end far more pliant and rides over irregular and corrugated surfaces far better.

Compression and rebound seem markedly improved. Okay it dives slightly more than 15w but once you're aware of that then you adjust your riding accordingly. I'm now convinced that a thicker fork oil just masks the SV's basic suspension traits and actually detracts from it's efficiency.

Old 16-02-06, 11:54 AM   #9
SV650Racer

Default Re: Upgrading the internals on stock SV forks?

Quote:
I have been wondering around on this forum for some time, but haven't found what I was looking for. You all know the most urgent modification on the SV, which is mounting better springs and thicker oil. However, on the website of the Minitwin Championship (especially this part http://www.minitwins.co.uk/suppliers/mhpexhausts.html) I found these two options:

Machine Suzuki SV650S
Price £ 300

Machine Suzuki SV650S
Price £ 479

Is there someone out there who can tell what they mean with modified internals or a revalve on the stock SV fork? GSX-R forks aren't allowed in the Minitwin Championship, so this is definitely for a stock fork. But that's damping rod fork and not a cartridge fork...

Any help would be appreciated. I'm still looking for something better than the stiffer springs I already have in my fork right now.

No need. My husband does the Ohlins setup for half the minitwin paddock for alot less than that!. Involves, Ohlins springs, Racetec emmulators and oil and spacers and works superbly well!.

BTW MHP send the majority of work on suspension to us now - Mike update your site!!!

Not sure what they mean by modded internals though but simply fitting springs and emmulators is good enough for most people road or race. If you can outride that front end setup that way then you should be on the grid and not sat at the traffic lights
Old 16-02-06, 11:59 AM   #10
chunkytfg

Default Re: Upgrading the internals on stock SV forks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650Racer
Quote:

Machine Suzuki SV650S
Price £ 300

Machine Suzuki SV650S
Price £ 479

No need. My husband does the Ohlins setup for half the minitwin paddock for alot less than that!. Involves, Ohlins springs, Racetec emmulators and oil and spacers and works superbly well!.

BTW MHP send the majority of work on suspension to us now - Mike update your site!!!

Not sure what they mean by modded internals though but simply fitting springs and emmulators is good enough for most people road or race. If you can outride that front end setup that way then you should be on the grid and not sat at the traffic lights
LOL wondered when you'd see this thread.

I'd just like to say i would recommend Steve Jordan Motorcycles to anyone regarding Suspension setup/service. Steve set my forks up for me last year and now has them back again after i decided i prefered them bannana shaped and will also be supplying and setting up my ohlins shock aswell.

Also he's a nice bloke aswell and would probably quite happily give you any advice you need when requested(although not atm as he's besy with my forks LOL!!!).