SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-11-05, 05:07 PM   #21
Ping

14 years ago my driving instructor told me never to get out of a car on a dual carriageway or motorway unless pulled over in a parking layby or hardshoulder (in the event of a breakdown). He never said why, I never asked. It just seemed sensible.

I have no idea why people find it acceptable. I've argued this one with a relative before.

It's downright stupid.
Old 28-11-05, 06:23 PM   #22
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

if people just used the other hand to get out of the car as is tought by the instructors then they would be forced to look around before they got out of the car.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-05, 06:30 PM   #23
raymond smith

the driver of the vehicle is responsible for the actions of his passengers.
this is fact cos my mate is a solicitor who only handles cycle and m/cycle claims and has successfully claimed against several whose passengers have opened doors on both
Old 28-11-05, 06:30 PM   #24
Kate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W
Whoops! Sorry if you took me seriously As I tried to indicate with my golden rule there seems to be a belief generally that if a biker is inolved in an accident then it must be their fault and even one or two who post on here (presumably from bikers?? You know who you are!) where it would seem that in each and every accident involving a biker(s)he is to blame.
LOL

I wasn't sure but considering some of the posts on this forum I thought you were serious! Thank god you aren't!
Old 28-11-05, 09:39 PM   #25
Steve W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate
[
I wasn't sure but considering some of the posts on this forum I thought you were serious! Thank god you aren't!
Yes - some of my colleagues at work aren't always sure when I'm serious and as for my teenage children well...
Old 28-11-05, 10:57 PM   #26
seedy100

Jase;
Have you considered how you might have inconvenienced that poor woman!

Please keep in mind the simple fact that she wanted to get out of the car, you obviously failed to take that possibility into account when you got out of bed this morning.

Naughty!
Old 28-11-05, 11:40 PM   #27
Nitzer

At least you didn't come to any grief in this instance.

This topic has obviously been discussed at length in a previous thread. I think we all have to accept that filtering does put you at a higher risk regardless of what speed you are doing and whether if it's legal or illegal. The simple truth is a car driver may do something stupid (like open a car door without looking) or simply move lanes without noticing there is a motorcycle behind. Lets be honest, motorcycles can be hard to spot at times if they are riding in the drivers blind spot.

What worries me the most though is the attitude that motorcycles MUST filter otherwise whats the point in having a motorcycle. I've read some recent threads in NZ about this, asking why motorcycles sit in traffic rather than filter, implying they aren't proper bikers and can't ride propoperly.

This attitude angers me a little as there are a lot of newbie bikers out there thinking they MUST filter regardless of whether they are happy or confident enough to do it.
Old 29-11-05, 03:16 PM   #28
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitzer

This attitude angers me a little as there are a lot of newbie bikers out there thinking they MUST filter regardless of whether they are happy or confident enough to do it.
If you're not confident, or conditions are appaling (ice, rubbish visibility due to fog, etc), then sure, it's not safe to filter.

However, on the UK's congested motorways and fairly strictly enforced speed limits, if you don't filter, you won't save much time over doing the same journey by car. I regularly commute about 80 miles each way, 60 of which are on the motorway. In the car, it takes about 30 minutes longer, because you have to sit in traffic jams. If I had to sit in jams on the bike, I'd definately only be a fair weather rider and would probably only ride for pleasure.

Aside from acceleration (and how often do we get to use that to its full potential, aside from the odd traffic light grand prix), filtering is one of the biggest advantages of a bike over a car in purely practical terms. If you don't/can't filter, a big reason why a lot of people use bikes for commuting (myself included) goes out the window.
Old 29-11-05, 03:47 PM   #29
Halonic

I have a perfect solution to this, the oldest of the eternal arguments.

We all require large shotguns.

Justice will be swift, proportional and appropriate

And no longer will there be any doubt of blame, the dead tell no tales after all
Old 30-11-05, 01:20 AM   #30
Nitzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC

Aside from acceleration (and how often do we get to use that to its full potential, aside from the odd traffic light grand prix), filtering is one of the biggest advantages of a bike over a car in purely practical terms. If you don't/can't filter, a big reason why a lot of people use bikes for commuting (myself included) goes out the window.
I agree with what you are saying but I've seen far too many (non-confident) riders filtering when perhaps they shouldn't be due to their skill level.