SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

View Poll Results: Should Scotland be an independent country?
Yes 24 34.78%
No 36 52.17%
Keithd 9 13.04%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13-09-14, 10:33 PM   #221
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: The Org Scottish Referendum

we would make a fine couple, would feel sorry for the kids though.. lol
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-14, 10:34 PM   #222
The Basket

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamSV View Post
I hate to say it...but I've actually had worse
I would class that as a win.
Old 14-09-14, 07:46 AM   #223
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
kids will be kids just because you had a bad experience as a child, has it made you bitter to the Scottish population?
your not the only one m8 i spent 4 years in Rhodesia and South Africa before moving back to Scotland when i was 6 so can you imagine what it was like for me living in the centre of Edinburgh with a very very good tan, talking and looking like a 'nigger' but with blond hair, lets just say i learnt to fight very very quickly. am i bitter about it? no.
Ahhhhh same for wee Pegged leg. Born in London, raised in Cyprus. Educated in Scotland the hard way. Couldn't speak a word of English at 6. Funny Greek, tanned boy. Mistaken for being a Pakistani and having the crap beaten out of him regularly. Fought a lot with fists of fury. Madeth him the man that he is today. Eee Scotland in the 70s was a hard place to be!

Now mistaken for a West Coaster.
He loves Scotland

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12

Last edited by dizzyblonde; 14-09-14 at 07:50 AM.
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-14, 09:33 AM   #224
Fordward

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyblonde View Post
Ahhhhh same for wee Pegged leg. Born in London, raised in Cyprus. Educated in Scotland the hard way. Couldn't speak a word of English at 6. Funny Greek, tanned boy. Mistaken for being a Pakistani and having the crap beaten out of him regularly. Fought a lot with fists of fury. Madeth him the man that he is today. Eee Scotland in the 70s was a hard place to be!

Now mistaken for a West Coaster.
He loves Scotland
Did he have any such problems in London or Cyprus?

I love Scotland too, but it is an unfortunate fact that racism and bigotry are still rife, particularly in less affluent areas. It's a problem that Scotland needs to admit to, face up to, and deal with.
Old 14-09-14, 09:35 AM   #225
Fordward

If you get independence, for gods sakes get rid of Salmond and Sturgeon the first chance you get.

They know the majority of the population don't understand economics, or the rules of EU membership, or the way the private companies that tap Oil, Gas and Wind make money, or the way countries like Norway operate.

They know this and they know that they can say whatever they want, and publish whatever propaganda they want, and so long as it sounds reasonable to the layman in the street, it will be believed, even if it isn't true.

They know this, and they are deliberately misleading the people of Scotland.

Deliberately misleading my countrymen, and because I live in England I don't get a vote on it, even though I'd be entitled to apply for Scottish citizenship if it happens. That was another deliberate move by the SNP to keep the vote within the demographic where they were most likely to win, and to keep the administration costs down by using the existing electoral role.

I'm not against an independent Scotland per se, but the way those two are going about it boils my p!55!

Last edited by Fordward; 14-09-14 at 09:38 AM.
Old 14-09-14, 09:51 AM   #226
pegasus
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordward View Post

I love Scotland too, but it is an unfortunate fact that racism and bigotry are still rife, particularly in less affluent areas. It's a problem that Scotland needs to admit to, face up to, and deal with.
The 70's in Scotland were a time of cultural change, I was different in looks and ethnicity in a place that didn't know how to accept different cultures, nowadays it's a different ballgame, Scotland is so cultured and diverse, I would recommend it to anyone.

London has always been multi cultural, so I never had an issue with racism there, just the occasional "sweaty sock" thing because of my accent.
Cyprus I am,alway treated like a long lost son, love and respect in abundance.

I hope this answers your questions.

pegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-14, 10:35 AM   #227
Fordward

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
The 70's in Scotland were a time of cultural change, I was different in looks and ethnicity in a place that didn't know how to accept different cultures, nowadays it's a different ballgame, Scotland is so cultured and diverse, I would recommend it to anyone.

London has always been multi cultural, so I never had an issue with racism there, just the occasional "sweaty sock" thing because of my accent.
Cyprus I am,alway treated like a long lost son, love and respect in abundance.

I hope this answers your questions.
It does answer the question, and while I agree that some areas of Scotland are cultured and diverse, there are many others, which most certainly are not. It's easy to see the good side when your there on your holidays, and of course touristy areas are always going to be diverse. I can't speak as a resident for the last 5 years, but prior to that I lived in Scotland. My wife wasn't welcome in our village pub because she was Catholic. The local shop was run by "that curry stinking, cheating, paki". Lots of people on this thread have said they've experienced anti-English sentiment on visits to Scotland. Some of the anti-English crap that's been shared on Facebook during this past few weeks is shocking. There is still violence every time Herts play Hibs, or rangers play Celtic (though I admit football can cause violence anywhere, it's in Scotland where the issue behind it is differing religion).

Yet, it gets mentioned on forums and people have a tendency to deny the problem exists, and say it's no worse than anywhere else. Well go live in a less affluent area with no tourists, and it is worse.

Until people recognise there's a problem, they can't deal with it.
Old 14-09-14, 10:37 AM   #228
The Basket

Quote:

I'm not against an independent Scotland per se, but the way those two are going about it boils my p!55!
Some of stuff I have read simply is cloud cuckoo land.
But it is what it is. And hope for the best. So there we go.

I can go on but it won't change anything
Old 14-09-14, 10:49 AM   #229
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Quote:

He personally maybe be treat like King Petros of Cyprus, however as a collective those who are first, second third generation Cypriots born in other countries because of being in the Diaspora are called 'Charlies' by those who have never left the island because of all the troubles. I know this as I read Cypriot forums and group pages, and this is quite clear for all to see. Although there maybe leniency towards them, for example when searching for work, over other foreigners, but that's just it, foreign born Cypriots aren't foreigners!
I suppose it's like a Scotsman having resided elsewhere other than his homeland.
Happens everywhere. Not restricted to Scotland.
Anyway, slightly derailing away from the subject....

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12

Last edited by dizzyblonde; 14-09-14 at 10:51 AM.
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-14, 11:06 AM   #230
TamSV
Mega Poster

Default The Org Scottish Referendum

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Basket View Post
Some of stuff I have read simply is cloud cuckoo land.

But it is what it is. And hope for the best. So there we go.

I can go on but it won't change anything

The level of "debate" has been pretty depressing all round. The politicians have been bad enough but they're disingenuous for a living. The general public are shocking.

So much negativity on both sides. Loads of chippy jocks moaning about the evil English government on one side and a desperately negative view of Scotland on the other. I'm tempted to abstain in despair.

Thank god I'm not on Facebook. A pal had a comment on his page from someone who said she was voting no because she didn't want to live in Alex Salmonds Catholic state. WTF?
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote