SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-08-19, 07:28 PM   #31
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Default Re: Wrong Choice. New '18 SV650.

I went for an SV as I couldn't afford a Ducati and wanted a V-Twin. I didn't realsie at the time how much bike I'd got for the money and how I would love it's character. They're not for everyone (luckily) but great bikes for what they are and the money. I had great fun working and learning on mine too.

I'm realising now with my MT09 Tracer that some bikes are sold on promises and others stand the test of time. When the marketing and media buzz is gone certain bikes remain popular through merit. The SV appears to be one of those. Sometimes in a niche way, but that's no bad thing.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-19, 09:31 PM   #32
Talking Heads

Comparison tests between the SV and MT-07 generally go like this...

Engine:
SV old, been on the go for ages, MT young, new and funky
Young = cool, old = pipe and slippers
Win to MT

Styling:
SV old looking circular headlamp, MT new modern style icon
New = cool, old = pipe and slippers

etc etc.

Its all bull****, both are basic built down to a bargain basement price and there's really nothing to pick between them.

The SV AL7 has but two things going for it, its cheap and its a real v-twin.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-19, 07:06 AM   #33
Bike27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
It suits me better than any previous bike I've owned. I'm now at 25200 miles (oh, and the gear position indicator has started behaving itself).
That's good to hear. Wasn't totally sure whether you'd actually replaced it with an H1

I like your MT vs. SV road test parody T.H. but...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Heads View Post
The SV AL7 has but two things going for it, its cheap and its a real v-twin.
If that were really true, then I'd surely be regretting not having bought a Hyosung GT650 instead .

As I fancied a middleweight V twin, but also neither fancied the weight and bulk of a V-strom, nor the maintenance headache of a Ducati, then it's clear to me at least that up against other V twins an SV has alot more than mere price going for it - although they are definitely great value !
Bike27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-19, 09:42 AM   #34
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
I went for an SV as I couldn't afford a Ducati and wanted a V-Twin. I didn't realsie at the time how much bike I'd got for the money and how I would love it's character. They're not for everyone (luckily) but great bikes for what they are and the money. I had great fun working and learning on mine too.

I'm realising now with my MT09 Tracer that some bikes are sold on promises and others stand the test of time. When the marketing and media buzz is gone certain bikes remain popular through merit. The SV appears to be one of those. Sometimes in a niche way, but that's no bad thing.
I'm in my 3rd year with my 99 Curvy and still get,"Smiles for Miles"

If they stop I'll consider a different bike
Old 28-08-19, 05:10 PM   #35
Ljay

Well today I intended to collect my shiny new SV650. Last week dealer agreed today and all I was waiting on was reg number which had been promised. Before setting off wanted to get insurer up to date so emailed then called to get this.
Reply left me , what you talkin bout fool? We registered it as 69 plate.
Eh no we never we agreed today, well we meant 1st September, remind salesman of what we'd agreed. Look I gotta get to a meeting will call back.
Boss man then calls later today, go over issues "yeah salesman cocked up" and "over promised". Offers a sweetener to keep deal alive tell him doesn't work as off to Canada on 1st for 5 weeks. So boss man replies well you wouldn't be using bike so can deliver on your return if you want to go ahead.If I do go ahead need to do 120 mile round trip just to sign paperwork.
Have thought about this and decided to withdraw from deal as felt this was a little to little too late.

Last edited by Ljay; 28-08-19 at 05:11 PM.
Ljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-19, 05:14 PM   #36
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljay View Post
Well today I intended to collect my shiny new SV650. Last week dealer agreed today and all I was waiting on was reg number which had been promised. Before setting off wanted to get insurer up to date so emailed then called to get this.
Reply left me , what you talkin bout fool? We registered it as 69 plate.
Eh no we never we agreed today, well we meant 1st September, remind salesman of what we'd agreed. Look I gotta get to a meeting will call back.
Boss man then calls later today, go over issues "yeah salesman cocked up" and "over promised". Offers a sweetener to keep deal alive tell him doesn't work as off to Canada on 1st for 5 weeks. So boss man replies well you wouldn't be using bike so can deliver on your return if you want to go ahead.If I do go ahead need to do 120 mile round trip just to sign paperwork.
Have thought about this and decided to withdraw from deal as felt this was a little to little too late.
Don't blame you.The Dealer I got my Curvy off( M&S Newcastle) normally would have charged over £100 to deliver to my City.As I explained it was my Birthday present to myself(and it was) he said he would deliver it free,which they did.Now that's service

Praise where it's due,

http://mandsmotorcycles.co.uk

http://mandsmotorcycles.co.uk/produc...-bikes/suzuki/

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 28-08-19 at 05:21 PM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-19, 06:20 PM   #37
Grant66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljay View Post
If I do go ahead need to do 120 mile round trip just to sign paperwork.
Used to be able to do that by fax in the last century.

When I bought my last bike it was done by electronic signature. So I could have done it from home.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Grant66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-19, 06:57 AM   #38
Ljay

Grant 66 I was with you and can remember when grainy fax copies were deemed legally binding documents too, I even have access to high resolution copier which produces a copied signature most people were unable to discern it was a copy.
I took time out last night re-read emails from dealer who despite asking me to return V5 had offered to re-register bike for collection yesterday. This alarmed me as looked like I may be riding a cloned bike as V5 relates to VIN number too as well as reg number so wasn't sure how they would achieve this. Though may well be proved wrong but thought once registered there was no way of simple just re-registering and sticking on new plate at dealer,
Ljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-19, 08:44 AM   #39
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Another victim of the twice yearly registration change in UK ( used to be once a year ) where dealers assume ( rightly 99% of the time ) that buyers want the latest possible date on their new vehicle to impress the neighbours. Manufacturers and dealers must hate this as it compresses sales into two short periods rather than a more steady flow through the year...

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-19, 10:37 AM   #40
Talking Heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike27 View Post
As I fancied a middleweight V twin, but also neither fancied the weight and bulk of a V-strom, nor the maintenance headache of a Ducati, then it's clear to me at least that up against other V twins an SV has alot more than mere price going for it - although they are definitely great value !
Yes I'll give you that, the SV is reliable and reasonable on maintenance.

I've reached the end with mine, bought it as commuting transport but it hasn't worked out for me.
It gets traded on Saturday.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote