SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-11-19, 01:36 PM   #1
gt alex

Default Light weight flywhee mods On abudget

Hi everyone,
My am keen to start some
gt alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-19, 01:40 PM   #2
gt alex

Default Re: Light weight flywhee mods On abudget

I am wondering if a gen2 sprag will fit on my 02 gen1
I was also thinking maybe smaller more powerfull magnets
any ideas welcome
Thanks
Old 06-11-19, 02:10 PM   #3
Grant66

Had no idea what a sprag was. It is, according to Google, a simple brake on a vehicle. Typically a stout stick or bar inserted between the spokes.

As they probably don't have magnets and sound a little dangerous on a motorcycle I guess you were asking about something else.

It did however lead me to an interesting article about sprag clutches. So thanks for that

I've been no help so I'll shut up now.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Grant66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-19, 04:30 PM   #4
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Isn't there a sprag ( one way clutch ) clutch between starter motor and the engine so that starter motor can drive the engine but the engine will not try to drive the starter motor ?

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 06-11-19 at 04:32 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-19, 12:17 AM   #5
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

So we are talking about two different things here.

Firstly the Sprag Clutch. This is a one way clutch that sits on the back of the flywheel and in simple terms is used by the starter motor via the starter idle cog to turn the crankshaft and start the bike. Think of it as once the bike is firing under its own steam and thus overcoming the starter when disengaged it is no longer turning against the engine.

I've had a quick look at the part numbers from the 1st to the 2nd gen and surprisingly they are different. I say surprisingly as the engine is more or less unchanged. I suspect as I don't have one in front of me that there is a slight difference between the Sprag Clutches as thinking about it the alternators are different due to the carb vs. FI changes. Now if I were Suzuki I wouldn't want to retool to make a different part if I didn't have to. But as to what those changes are I do not know, as to if you could use a later one on an early model I do not know. However my question would be is there any benefit, is the later model Sprag Clutch any lighter?

Secondly the Flywheel or Alternator. These are different between the 1st and 2nd gen, this is due to a difference in the timing pickup needed for the carb and FI induction.

You cannot use a later model Flywheel on a first generation engine.

You can however lighten the Flywheel. This is normally done by machining the outer metal casing down while retaining the ignition pickups in order to run the engine.

You can lighten the Fly Wheel further by removing the magnets and turning the bike into a total loss system. This is only used on race bikes. If you are using the bike on the road you need the magnets to generate the electricity to run lights and such. The SV electrical system particularly on the 1st gen is a weak point and as such would not recommend any form of magnet altering for a road bike.

There are a number of machine shops and bike shops that will offer a Flywheel lightening service for road and race.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-19, 11:08 AM   #6
gt alex

Thanks for that I know the gen 2 has less meat on it , therfore I hope lighter I am avoiding expense where I can so If I can just bolt in a lighter part I will.
That said I will probably at some point have to get some machining done.
I want to keep the charging system, what do others think of glueing in lighter magnets.
P.S. why can't I post picturers?
Old 07-11-19, 01:05 PM   #7
aesmith

I think I've heard of people removing some of the magnets, obviously keeping it symmetrical, and accepting that the output will be lower.
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-19, 09:52 PM   #8
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

So I think the next thing you need to do then is compare a 1st gen Sprag Clutch with a 2nd. Would be interested to see the sizes and weights myself now.

If you want to keep the charging system I wouldn't suggest playing with the magnets. But fitting "lighter" magnets is outside of my knowledge, I wouldn't know how it would impact the charging system and how they are rated. However there is a fair chuck of glue holding them on, and it will be something a little stronger then super glue as you really don't want them to fall out, that makes a bit of a mess. Additionally there is not much clearance between Alternator and the Stator so size will be a consideration. Finally I believe that they are balanced so if you do anything like this then you might want to look at getting that checked out.

What part of the world are you in, there maybe a good machine shop or race shop near that can help out?

As for the pictures, there is a guide on here somewhere, but the short version is host externally and link through.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-19, 02:14 PM   #9
robertw95

Had my flywheel lightened off an engineer in this forum for my gen 2 cost around £200ish and ran 3 magnets instead of 6 on my race bike which did keep the charging system running although at a lower output.
robertw95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-19, 12:38 PM   #10
gt alex

I have been helping out in a machine shop that manufactures race car brakes, this is only my second week so once things settle I done think it will be a problem for me to lighten my own. Probably after christmass