SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 31-10-19, 09:18 AM   #1
daktulos

Default Curvy power problems

(Before I start, I guess I know what I need to do - check the stator and reg/rec, monitor the voltage, etc. Still ...)

I've noticed that my curvy is taking increasingly longer to start. The starter motor is turning the engine over slower, and seems to get stuck on compression more frequently.

My guess is that the difference has been the cold weather. I've been riding with my (new) hotgrips on and at higher temperatures. I tried riding in today with the headlight off (most of the ride) and the hotgrips off (for the second half) and tried starting the engine again at work. It sounded quicker to me.

So, my best guess is that the battery is slowly draining, rather than being topped up in the current conditions. I don't have any power in the garage and can't use any sort of solar power (it's a council garage with another garage on top and a five minute walk from my house).

Now, I realise that I should check everything, but before I do that I was wondering if the load is simply too high.

First question - does anyone know the power output of the stock curvy stator and the efficiency of the stock reg/rec? I've seen 275W mentioned, but I don't know which model that was for.

Second question - has anyone found a non-mains battery maintainer? I could just charge a car battery plug them together, but I really don't want to be lugging a large battery to the garage once a week.

Thanks!
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-19, 09:35 AM   #2
Grant66

Default Re: Curvy power problems

This might help:

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Grant66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-19, 10:09 AM   #3
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by daktulos View Post
(Before I start, I guess I know what I need to do - check the stator and reg/rec, monitor the voltage, etc. Still ...)

I've noticed that my curvy is taking increasingly longer to start. The starter motor is turning the engine over slower, and seems to get stuck on compression more frequently.

My guess is that the difference has been the cold weather. I've been riding with my (new) hotgrips on and at higher temperatures. I tried riding in today with the headlight off (most of the ride) and the hotgrips off (for the second half) and tried starting the engine again at work. It sounded quicker to me.

So, my best guess is that the battery is slowly draining, rather than being topped up in the current conditions. I don't have any power in the garage and can't use any sort of solar power (it's a council garage with another garage on top and a five minute walk from my house).

Now, I realise that I should check everything, but before I do that I was wondering if the load is simply too high.

First question - does anyone know the power output of the stock curvy stator and the efficiency of the stock reg/rec? I've seen 275W mentioned, but I don't know which model that was for.

Second question - has anyone found a non-mains battery maintainer? I could just charge a car battery plug them together, but I really don't want to be lugging a large battery to the garage once a week.

Thanks!
My M8 has a council Garage for his bikes. I got him sorted by getting a Heavy duty Car battery and him fitting an SAE connector like I have to my Bike battery that I've tie-wrapped discretely under the rear faring of my bike and made Crocodile clip set with the other side of an SAE connector.He then just hooks that up and takes the Car battery away every now and then and charges it up.

It's been working like that for a couple of years for him

As an Emergency backup I have one of these,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=car+bat...price-asc-rank
Old 31-10-19, 10:59 AM   #4
Seeker
Mega Poster

The curvy (SV650Y 2000 model) alternator is rated at 300W at 5000 rpm. Oxford heated grips consume about 60W. Is your commute low speed/short distance? Could you put the bike on a battery tender at work? How old is the battery? Is it an AGM or Li?

You need to check the charging system.
Old 31-10-19, 11:28 AM   #5
Grant66

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=car+bat...price-asc-rank

I got one of these when I had battery problems, the very act of purchasing it (and possibly charging the battery properly) fixed the issues I had.

I've never used it in the 2 years since purchase...
Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Last edited by Grant66; 31-10-19 at 11:31 AM.
Grant66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-19, 11:30 AM   #6
daktulos

Thanks for the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
The curvy (SV650Y 2000 model) alternator is rated at 300W at 5000 rpm. Oxford heated grips consume about 60W. Is your commute low speed/short distance? Could you put the bike on a battery tender at work? How old is the battery? Is it an AGM or Li?
My commute is roughly 40-55 minutes, half of that on the motorway, so would hope that's enough to keep the battery topped up. The battery is a year or so old, AGM (Motobatt). There's power for EVs at work, but nothing near the motorcycle bays.

Quote:
You need to check the charging system.
Yes, I know. I also need to check the terminals on the Motobatt haven't vibrated loose. I'll hopefully be able to check some of it this weekend.

300W sounds like there's plenty of headroom, but I have no idea how much power the ignition takes, reg/rec efficiency, or losses in the wiring, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff
My M8 has a council Garage for his bikes. I got him sorted by getting a Heavy duty Car battery and him fitting an SAE connector like I have to my Bike battery that I've tie-wrapped discretely under the rear faring of my bike and made Crocodile clip set with the other side of an SAE connector.He then just hooks that up and takes the Car battery away every now and then and charges it up.
I know this makes sense, but I'm trying to avoid it if possible, mostly because I'd end up with two flat batteries!

Quote:
That's my backstop plan - wire in a connector and keep a LiIon starter on standby. If this is only a problem in the winter, it would be acceptable. I will check the electrics first, though.
Old 31-10-19, 01:38 PM   #7
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Your commute should be fine for keeping the battery charged if everything else is OK. Id first make sure it is properly serviced,especially plugs,HT leads,carbs, choke plungers and cables then check all relevant connections. Battery terminals and earth straps(including the one to the rear of the engine)benefit from cleaning up and the plastic junction boxes like a spray of contact cleaner as does the strap to the starter motor. Find a way to charge the battery once in a while, I used to do mine about once a month or so whether it appeared to need it or not as this keeps the battery like new. Get a cheapo multimeter and run a basic check on the charging system.
Old 31-10-19, 09:57 PM   #8
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Sounds like your battery is a bit elderly rather than any charging problems. In the cold weather you'll notice it more, as it has less oomf and the engine is harder to turn over due to thicker oil.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-19, 10:14 PM   #9
daktulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrod View Post
Sounds like your battery is a bit elderly rather than any charging problems. In the cold weather you'll notice it more, as it has less oomf and the engine is harder to turn over due to thicker oil.
It's definitely been colder, but has actually been easier to start in the morning than afternoon. After my two trips today with cold hands and questionable lighting, it started beautifully, so I think it will hold its charge - I'll see how it is tomorrow morning.

The question is, do I have a fault, or am I just expecting too much from the electrics?
Old 01-11-19, 08:24 AM   #10
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by daktulos View Post
The question is, do I have a fault, or am I just expecting too much from the electrics?
without any measurements to go on we can speculate and give opinions but it doesn't help you if you end up stranded due to a failing charging system.

As BikerBiggles said your commute is long enough to keep a battery charged whilst running lights, ignition and heated grips if the battery and charging system are healthy.

Measure the battery voltage before starting, measure it again as you press the starter to see what it drops to, record the voltage at idle with and without the heated grips, measure it again at 2-3k rpm. You'll then have a better idea if everything is functioning correctly.