SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Ecosse For all the lads and lassies north of the border

Old 16-07-08, 10:23 PM   #1
-Ralph-

Default Mexico Photos and Videos

Despite having been back since the end of May, I've finally got round to uploading some photos and videos of my biking experiences in Mexico to photobucket.

I have uploaded those from the most interesting rideout which was a rideout through the Sierra Gorda national park. Starting on the central mexican plateau in Queretaro city where my friend lives at 6200ft above sea level, the Sierra Gorda drops down through the mountain ranges that surround the plateau to the town of Jalpan which is at 1440ft.

This link will take you to a slideshow of the photos.

http://s227.photobucket.com/albums/d...view=slideshow

To see them larger click "back to main view" at the bottom left of the page, select the photo, and click "full size" at the top left of the photo.

To view the slideshow you need shockwave, which most folk have but if not you can get it here http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/downl...shockwaveFlash

I've also put up some videos of the off road riding we did and also the best on road stuff. The tarmac roads are just a bikers dream!

http://s227.photobucket.com/albums/d...king%20Videos/

You'll have to excuse the wobbliness and the quality, they are only taken with a bog standard digital camera (VGA video I think) and I'm holding the camera in mid air in front of my face in my left hand.

Last edited by -Ralph-; 16-07-08 at 11:10 PM.
Old 16-07-08, 10:58 PM   #2
-Ralph-

Default Re: Mexico Photos and Videos

Riding in Mexico was good fun if sometimes a bit hairy! There is no system of priority, the guy with the biggest balls, biggest truck, or most money, just steams through junctions and everyone else stops!

My friend who lives there says the system works, 'cos in the UK you have accidents where people dont use any caution because they have priority, then another vehicle pulls out or does something he's not supposed to do and bang. In Mexico that doesn't happen, everyone except the most arrogant slows down at every junction, until they have seen what the other drivers are going to do, because nobody has priority.

Having said that the police are not your friends, they're only there to extract bribes from you. The police will ignore any road traffic office, even really blatent stuff like riding without a helmet in states that require one, or riding through red traffic lights, or down the wrong side of the road. Unless they think they can make money out of it! So the roads are lawless, you can't predict anything and a driver won't care about knocking you off the bike, there is no consequence for him, your just another bit of road kill (the road kill included cattle hit by trucks!). The truck drivers take drugs such as speed to allow them to drive greater distances!

On a bike in the city you just need to have eyes in the back of your head and GO GO GO! Get away in front of any traffic and find empty road. You almost need to be as reckless as all the other drivers. Be careful, steady (and hence slow) and you'll have cars whizzing past you and cutting you up left and right. You have to move as fast, or quicker than the traffic around you, it's easier to see what you are catching, than see what's catching you. Don't let anything approach from behind if you want to stay safe. At junctions and traffic lights you have to filter quickly (too fast!) through the tightest gaps and in the shortest time, and get away in front. You really don't want to be left in the close combat when things start moving again, you'll get sandwiched! In the countryside you just need to be observant and cautious, live animals, dead animals, road surface, trucks and drunk drivers.

I had an Honda NX400 Falcon for two weeks, the South American little brother of the NX650 Dominator. I didn't like it to start with. I felt vulnerable in the chaos with only 30bhp at my disposal and the suspension and handling was too soft and bouncy, really gentle with the front brakes to avoid the excessive fork dive, etc etc. After two weeks and a 1000 miles though I had fallen in love with it. If they sold them here I'd have one as a second bike for everyday commuter stuff that could greenlane at weekends. We did the off road stuff, not too heavy. Sat on the motorways at 80mph for hours, comfy seat. Zipped through town and got rid of the chicken strips on the twisty roads. That bike really is a jack of all trades and does everything you ask of it really well for such a small cheap bike. Just need to wring it's neck as it has no power, but you get used to that as your expectations change.

Fell off doing the off road stuff, front wheel fell off a rock and landed in a rut, throwing me over the bars, but you have to expect that kind of thing off road. I'm just glad with the way I landed on a rocky surface that I had my back protector! Bruises and a bit of a sprained wrist, nothing more.

There are two types of bikers over there, enduro riders who go like a bat out of hell and race rep riders with 2 inch chicken strips that can't ride for toffee.

As you'll see from the videos though, when the roads are good, they are perfect.

I can't understand why the sportsbike riders don't ride their bikes, I told my friend that if those roads existed in the UK they'd be swarming in sportsbike riders all weekend, with scores on tarmac on every corner from the footpegs and knee slider plastic dragged round every corner. They were dream biking roads!

Last edited by -Ralph-; 16-07-08 at 11:11 PM.
Old 17-07-08, 07:47 AM   #3
Tiger 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
The police are only there to extract bribes from you....
Shurely 'on the spot fines'...

Quote:
The truck drivers take drugs such as speed to allow them to drive greater distances!
Well that part is the same as dear old Blighty but apart from that it sounds like another planet (London?) and a bloody good laugh! Amazing roads & big cojones all round

And what's happening here then?

Old 17-07-08, 07:48 AM   #4
Speedy Claire

Fabulous pics and vids........ looks one hell of an adventure
Old 17-07-08, 08:05 AM   #5
Blue Flame
Mega Poster

Lovely photos.

That looked like a great adventure.

Tiger 55 has just beaten me to it with the 'bikes on the ground' question !!

Previous >> K3 SV650S - Candy Copper;Lower Fairing Set;Fender Extender; Powerbronze Screen; HEL Braided Lines;
Blue Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-08, 10:44 AM   #6
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Flame View Post
Lovely photos.

That looked like a great adventure.

Tiger 55 has just beaten me to it with the 'bikes on the ground' question !!
Not quite sure, we were all posing for a photo with the camera on the tripod and the next second Raoul is on the ground lying on top of the Cagiva Canyon, and underneath the Falcon. The camera snapped just as he was getting back up
Old 17-07-08, 12:54 PM   #7
gerbrox

Quote:
Not quite sure, we were all posing for a photo with the camera on the tripod and the next second Raoul is on the ground lying on top of the Cagiva Canyon, and underneath the Falcon. The camera snapped just as he was getting back up

You took a tripod and the journey!!!, obviously telescopic if not how'd you carry it?

Have you ever done anything like that holiday before, just wandering where's good to go, as I'm thinking about the Alps or somewhere like that for the sceanery!!
Old 17-07-08, 06:13 PM   #8
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerbrox View Post
You took a tripod and the journey!!!, obviously telescopic if not how'd you carry it?

Have you ever done anything like that holiday before, just wandering where's good to go, as I'm thinking about the Alps or somewhere like that for the sceanery!!
I say tripod, but it's just a wee 3 inch thing with three bendy legs that fits in any pocket, then its perched on top of a wall.

I've rented bikes on holiday before, but that's my first real adventure biking trip. But if you look at the Euro tours section or post a question you'll get loads of info.
Old 19-07-08, 12:25 PM   #9
Endellion

Looks awesome!, didn't like the look of that drop though on the mountain road, would give me the spooks, not good with heights