SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-01-11, 10:02 PM   #1
madnlooney

Default Damaged front rim on pothole

Tonight while riding back i hit a pot hole and its bent my front rim. Its it possible to get it repaired? its a slight bent. Got pictures of the pothole too and i think im quite lucky

heres the wheel

the pothole

A car was turning right so i moved over to the left but didnt see the pothole being dark and raining next i knew was bang as i went down it. was doing no more than 30.
Old 16-01-11, 10:09 PM   #2
kwak zzr

Default Re: Damaged front rim on pothole

ya get it repaired, sv front wheels are hard to come by
Old 16-01-11, 10:21 PM   #3
svsam

they really are, i been looking for one for a while. im thinking big G clamp and wood should pull it straght.
Old 16-01-11, 10:23 PM   #4
kwak zzr

any kind of front end accident results in a FUBAR front wheel
Old 16-01-11, 10:25 PM   #5
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

you need to put a flat bar across the pothole and then measure the depth if you are going to use it as evidence to the council

Motoliner is a company that fixes wheels http://www.motoliner.com/
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-11, 10:27 PM   #6
The Idle Biker

Not sure what your plans are, but based on my experience, I'd contact the local Council, they'll send you some forms, fill them in, send in the photos and chances are they will pay. Keep it civil though, play along with them, polite but firm and you should get a new wheel or at least the repair bill sorted. Had it twice with Waverley Council in Surrey, and they paid up for low profile BMW car tyres that burst on potholes. Councils have, or at least they had, budgets put aside for this.
Old 16-01-11, 10:29 PM   #7
jambo
Mega Poster

Sorry to hear this Dan,
Motoliner (as linked above) have straightened 2 similar wheels for me in the past though so there is some hope. The only gotcha is they usually want the wheel without tyre taken down to them. Same day service I've had before though which helps!

Jambo
Old 16-01-11, 10:30 PM   #8
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM View Post
you need to put a flat bar across the pothole and then measure the depth if you are going to use it as evidence to the council

Motoliner is a company that fixes wheels http://www.motoliner.com/
as TSM and speak to locals to find out how long its been like that.

Anything over 6 weeks (But depends upon the councils road policy) the council are liable if they know about it and have not actioned repairs (permanent or temporary).

I would use the date stamp on the camera aswel means they can't disput authenticity. I'd get hold of the highways policy as it should cover it.

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-11, 11:11 PM   #9
madnlooney

yeah was looking at claiming the costs back from croydon council when i get the rim sorted. more annoyed with myself for not seeing it. its not like its small and i travel that way nearly every day to work, think my eyes were more drawn to the car infront of me moving across.

Tomorrow i will get some other pictures with timestamp and a flat bar.
Also sent an email to motoliner.
Thanks all for the help
Old 28-04-11, 09:53 PM   #10
madnlooney

just an update on this, Had a letter back from council and they are paying the money for the repair which is a result.