SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-08-06, 02:31 PM   #1
pete m

Default Reversed into

Ever been reversed into ? I was - yesterday - 3 v out of it young men get out - plame me for parking there, and when i go to get a pen to get their details - what do you reckon they did ???? 3 guesses is too many

so im down the police station, waiting for hours, just to be given a form, got to go back today and produce ! Ive got to produce !! ha ha why have i got to produce ? i dont mind, its just im the one been wronged....you go through all this hanging around, whats tyhe chances they are going to catch them, and if they do, that they are insured ? ??? ha ha haaaaaaaaaaaa!

Lesson - dont park behind cars !

problem - how do you make people stay / exchange details, when you know they are going to drive off, without getting stabbed??
Old 23-08-06, 02:35 PM   #2
jonboy

Shoot them in the kneecaps Pete, it's the only way.

(Sorry to hear of your misfortune)

Old 23-08-06, 02:36 PM   #3

Default Re: Reversed into

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete m
Ever been reversed into ? I was - yesterday - 3 v out of it young men get out - plame me for parking there, and when i go to get a pen to get their details - what do you reckon they did ???? 3 guesses is too many

so im down the police station, waiting for hours, just to be given a form, got to go back today and produce ! Ive got to produce !! ha ha why have i got to produce ? i dont mind, its just im the one been wronged....you go through all this hanging around, whats tyhe chances they are going to catch them, and if they do, that they are insured ? ??? ha ha haaaaaaaaaaaa!

Lesson - dont park behind cars !

problem - how do you make people stay / exchange details, when you know they are going to drive off, without getting stabbed??
stab them first...??

no seriously, sorry to hear that and the best thing and i will always do this is as soon as it happens call the police before you have even spoken to the occupants or the causer of the accident.
Old 23-08-06, 03:05 PM   #4
andy

Phoning the Police is a good idea, except you MUST be injured for them to attend.

So the best way to play it is:

1. Have an accident.
2. If you are not hurt, pretend you are with an injury that cannot be seen - eg my shoulder hurts or something.
3. Phone Police and say you are injured but do not need an ambulance (dont waste the ambulance time - they dont need to be there)
4. Wait for the Police to sort it all out.
5. If the other party refuses to wait, there is not much you can do but they are commiting an offence by not giving you details.

Has worked for me twice in the past - and both times I dont think I would have got a result if the Police did not turn up.
Old 23-08-06, 04:37 PM   #5
jenni

p.s. you producing is just standard practice hon
Old 24-08-06, 07:38 PM   #6
silent

shes right, standard practice, any time you deal with the police with your vehicle for nything official, e.g stop check, crash, speeding etc you will need to produce documents as it is an offence to not have them. however and offence they dont mind as long as you do produce within seven days at your chosen police station.

as long as the police werent unproffesional in attitude etc sounds like they were good enough, next challenge is to see if they do anything (unlikely unless you have witnesses).

andy
Old 24-08-06, 07:40 PM   #7
lynw

camera phone and take pictures so you can prove the car was there and the people involved. and it wont matter if they do then leave.
Old 24-08-06, 07:46 PM   #8
pete m

There were plenty of witnesses - the problem now is - will the old bill catch the buggers - probably not. If they do by some miracle - whats my chances of getting the money out of them?

Unless i have the bike properly examined to see if the bars / forks are bent , the only damage seems to be the lever (£7.50), and the mud guard (£ dk - £25 - £50?).

The engine case is marked, as is the end of the bar - im assuming i will be able to get these replaced if i can claim off his insurance.

If he has no insurance, then what? Is it a civil matter - suing him ...?Wouldnt be worth it, i dont think...
Old 26-08-06, 12:40 PM   #9
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

As Lyn said, camera phone.

Sorry to hear this Pete mate, its a bummer and one of the main reasons for my quick release number plate. I normaly park it on a pavement to avoid this issue.

However, if i absolutely have to park on the road between cars i take a pic of the cars both sides of me making sure my bike and their car with reg no is in the shot.

That way if i come back and find my bike damaged and one of the cars gone i know who it was and dont kick myslef for not having taken the details.
When there are peeps who you know wont hang about its a good idea to take the pic as they drive away (so they dont notice it and come back to kick 10 bells out of you and take your phone) and call the cops. dont ecpect them to do much tho but at least its been reported at the time and may help any claim you need to make.

Gutted for you and hope both you and the bike are ok????
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-06, 02:20 PM   #10
pete m

Chhers Zig

Its not too bad - its just the situation i found myself in - i guess ive got the fact i live in Coldharbour ward of Lambeth - top 3 in crimespots in London - to blame - but i found my bike on the ground and surrounded by 3 v rough looking dole queue dwellers - what to do ???

seee you in Frith st