SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-09-06, 04:38 PM   #1
Mesomorphman

Default Keep Sv650 Master Cylinder with New GSXR Front End???

I am swapping my 2004 SV650S ruined front end (long story involving a brother, a "borrowed" motorcycle, a crazy stunt, and a returned motorcycle) with a 2006 GSXR 1000 front end.
I am trying to figure out if I can make due with the stock SV650S master cylinder until I can get a new one, or will the Gixxer master cylinder be different. This is my first foray into these untested waters, so I want to make sure everything goes as smoothly as possible (which isn't very smooth when my brain and mechanics tools are involved).
Any information on master cylinder fitment would be greatly appreciated. Will post before and after pictures once I get working on it. (It's at the in-laws house).
Thanks in advance.
Old 02-09-06, 05:55 PM   #2
northwind
Mega Poster

You can use the standard one, but it'll be very much "make do". It'll work, and not drastically badly, but it'd be a complete waste of the potential of the GSXR brakes.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-06, 06:34 PM   #3
21QUEST
Mega Poster

Northy is right that it'll work fine but I'll go as far as to say it'll be perfectly okay.

I don't know the bore of the 1000 K6 but the K3/K4 does use a 14mm bore master cylinder. I know the K6 is a radial master cylinder but whether the caliper piston size + discs combination would make it a "make do" situation if the SV master cylinder is used, I very much doubt.

I've tested an SV1000 with GSXR750 K4 frontend running the OE SV1000 master cylinder and the brakes were sweet. Nothing to worry I'd say

Cheers
Ben
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-06, 07:21 PM   #4
Mesomorphman

Thanks so much guys. You were very helpful (and quick)! I plan on swapping eventually, but when you've gotta spend tons of cash on the little bits (bolts and stuff) that doesn't come with the forks, wheel, brakes, etc... that you purchase piece-by-piece on ebay it starts to add up.
Gotta cut corners somewhere to get back on the road. Thanks again, and keep at least one wheel on the road at all times.
Old 02-09-06, 08:42 PM   #5
ianofbhills

and you will get more clearance between the lever and the clock surround using the sv master cylinder.

I have a radial MC from a gixxer 600 on mine and i encountered problems with it hitting the plastic surround.
Old 02-09-06, 09:03 PM   #6
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesomorphman
Thanks so much guys. You were very helpful (and quick)! I plan on swapping eventually, but when you've gotta spend tons of cash on the little bits (bolts and stuff) that doesn't come with the forks, wheel, brakes, etc... that you purchase piece-by-piece on ebay it starts to add up.
Absolutely... I ran with the SV one for a while too on my front end, never caused me any grief either- the SV m/c was actually standard on SRAD GSXRs, believe it or not. A guy on SV Rider "upgraded" from an SV one to a SRAD one and told us all how brilliant it was
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-06, 10:45 PM   #7
Mesomorphman

Extra clearance is always good. Thanks for the heads-up on that.