SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-02-13, 01:43 PM   #1
sv650kent

Default No brake lights - Pointy.

Was out cleaning the sv650 2007 ready for the weekly commute into london.
I did the lights check and noticed that even though the rear lights worked when the brakes are pushed they do not change to show the brakes are on.
I checked out the wiring and all seems fine. My knowledge of the electronics are not to great can anyone help as i do not have a manual for the bike.

Cheers
John
Old 24-02-13, 01:46 PM   #2
DJ123
Mega Poster

Default Re: brake light issue

Which lever, front or back? or did this occur on both?

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-13, 02:25 PM   #3
sv650kent

Default Re: brake light issue

Sorry, happening on both front lever and rear foot.
Old 24-02-13, 03:43 PM   #4
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Re: No brake lights - Pointy.

Does everything else electrical work properly? If no check fuses. If yes, pull the wires off the front switch and short them, does the brake light come on? If yes, then both switches are duffed*, if no, then make sure there's a live at both switch connections. If yes, check the rear light connector under the pillion seat - typically it's cable tied to the left frame rail, it's a white three pin connector. Do all three wires seem OK? Check along the wire from the connector to the light unit, any damage? At the loom side of the connector check that one wire is neutral, one is live all the time the ignition is on, (back light), and one comes live when either brake is pulled, if that's the case then the rear light or wire thereof is faulty.

*Believe me, it's rather more common than you might think. Obviously it's most unlikely that they'd fail at the same time, but one failing often goes unnoticed - if one works the light comes on and no one runs in to the back of you, often it's only when the second fails that it becomes apparent.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-13, 02:48 PM   #5
sv650kent

Default Re: No brake lights - Pointy.

after playing around for ages i noticed that the rear light was brighter then i remember so i had a play and realised that the brake light was perm stuck on. it seems to be crap from the road had got stuck in the foot pedal and caused it to stick
panic over until next issue

thank you for all the advise, without the forum i would be stuck and pay over the odds for garage fees, so cheers lads/ladies