SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-11-20, 07:38 AM   #1
shiftin_gear98

Default Spontaneous Hazard Lights - GSXR1000 K3

Morning Org, Help.

So whilst riding to work this morning my indicator light came on the dash. I looked down at the switch and realized it wasn't on. So I wiggled it on and off a few times. Still flashing.
I found somewhere safe to pull over and got off the bike. It's now that I notice all 4 indicators are flashing. I will say at this point I have never touched the hazard light button on this bike.
So I tried wiggling that on and off too. Still on. Turn bike off - still on.

I do have a Meta alarm fitted to the bike. So arm it and disarm it. Still on.
Turn bike on still on.
Wiggle both switches on and off again, still on. Open my boot and as my brother-in-law isn't the greatest wiring expert, disconnect the rear indicators.
Fronts still on, they embarrassingly stayed on for the remaining 20 miles to work. I repeatedly wiggled both switches during this time. Still on.

So much wiggling that I now can't remember if the hazards should be on when under the hazard symbol or the dot??

Get to work turn it off, front still flashing. I am stood by the side of the bike. Try arming and disarming the bike. Still on.
Open boot, turn bike on and I can here clicking as they flash, I'm unsure at this time if it's the relay or the alarm, still flashing.

I turn the bike off and walk around it, now this is the weird bit. Not only are the front indicators flashing, but my brake light is too, as is the small bulb in the front light. Thankfully they all stop after 10 seconds or so.

Should the hazards work with the bike turned off? The switch doesn't turn them on.

So thoughts peeps - It could be any of the following, but what would you guys check first.

A relay? The indicator relay is only about 3 months old as I needed to replace it. The old one stopped working whilst I was trying to improve my brother-in-laws handy work.
I have the one from my SV, it's not an LED one, but I'll try swapping this out too.

A short somewhere?

The switch gear? - I have the one off my SV so plan to try testing this.

The alarm? - I really don't want to have to remove this - removing the one from my SV was a massive ball ache. But this one is even older - I'm inwardly crying as I think the alarm is the real issue.

I think I am going to have to disconnect the front indicator lights at lunch to be able to ride home without any flashing, and swear at it all weekend.
Actually I'm just going to tape them over with electrical tape to get me home - as there isn't much hand spare to get to the connectors, and I'd only have to connect them back up to test everything.

PS, I hate electrics on bikes.

Last edited by shiftin_gear98; 06-11-20 at 08:40 AM.
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-20, 01:12 PM   #2
BoltonSte
Mega Poster

Default Re: Spontaneous Hazard Lights - GSXR1000 K3

Pretty sure when my battery was low (forgot to connect to the charger) and the siren didn't sound I could here the solenoids in the Meta unit clicking whilst it flashed the indicators.

Street triple but I imagine it would be the same.
BoltonSte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-20, 02:07 PM   #3
Seeker
Mega Poster

On the AL7 the hazard flashers won't work without the ignition being on (or in P position). Your flashers must be getting power from somewhere that is overriding the ignition switch - if they usually flash when the alarm is triggered (in a normal situation) it suggests that the alarm is at fault.
Old 06-11-20, 02:11 PM   #4
redtrummy

Weird - I would check all the main earth connections. If you have a dickey one then voltages can be all over the shop
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-20, 04:19 PM   #5
shiftin_gear98

Ok so home time came, I'm brandishing a roll of electrical tape ready to cover the front ones up. But figure I'll check first.

Press alarm button, no noticeable disarm bleep, no flashing light. Bugger I'm thinking I have a long walk home ahead if it doesn't start. However it does. No flashing lights. So I test the indicators, both front ones work as they should, ok, so I open the boot. Reconnect the rear ones. They work too, all four respond to the switch. The hazard button works as it should too.
I put the electrical tape in my pocket just in case.
They worked fine all the way home.

However when I got off the bike and turned it off I waited for the alarm to arm. It never did. No bleep no flashing lights. I'm gonna put my neck on the line and say it's the alarm.
Joy, I'll see what it does in the morning as dad duty calls now.
Old 06-11-20, 06:53 PM   #6
Toooldtodie

Alarms are a PITA.
Had a Ford Scorpio that the alarm would go off when it rained heavily (pre-Met Office Yellow rain warnings?!)

Most people ignore them when they sound and they screw up your electrics so that the bike can still be stolen, but they prevent you from making it home because they have 1. drained your battery 2. immobilised the ignition 3. prevented any ancillary electrical item on the bike working.

Hate the things... just have to rely on people's better nature and put an NRA sticker on it with the tag line, "Mine's a 30 cal" or words to that effect.
Old 06-11-20, 07:10 PM   #7
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Brother just had the alarm / immobiliser removed from his VFR750 - says it caused too many problems, including preventing the bike from starting when he wanted it to.....

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 06-11-20 at 07:11 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-20, 07:47 PM   #8
Toooldtodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Brother just had the alarm / immobiliser removed from his VFR750 - says it caused too many problems, including preventing the bike from starting when he wanted it to.....

Don't blame him! Never had an alarm actually prevent a theft of anything of mine. Two burly blokes chasing after the thieving scrotes did get my bike back however...
Old 07-11-20, 12:26 PM   #9
shiftin_gear98

Well my bike now starts without even attempting to disarm the arm. I guess the alarm is dead.
I imagine it'll screw me over soon.
Old 07-11-20, 12:47 PM   #10
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

I agree about alarms. They aren't a lot of use if you are away from the bike. I can give a cheap alternative though. If you have an old Android phone and it will accept this free app,

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...focus&hl=en_GB

I have one with a spare ASDA PAYG Sim card in it and set up to be silent but send me text if the bike is disturbed. I use it when out shopping/parked and just stick it under the rear seat. If GPS is enabled on the phone it will send location as well as a cheap,"Tracker" plus if for some reason you have broken down and your main phone is not working for whatever reason you have a backup phone