SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-11-20, 08:16 PM   #1
The Sleeper

Default Chain Tension/Slack

Hi Guys,

I have a question.

i took my bike in SV650 K9 for it's annual MoT. Had to have the chain tightened or it would fail, now i know there was probably a little too much slack but not huge amounts.

Since i've had this knocking which i could not find but think i've finally pinned it to a now over tightened chain.

I'm struggling to find the tolerance, i'm now conscious of taking it back to the place as if they have done that, what else are the trying to pull on me!

Any help appreciated.
The Sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-20, 08:23 PM   #2
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default Re: Chain Tension/Slack

Find the spot on the chain with the least slack / where it's tightest (there's always a spot that's tightest).

At that point there should be about an inch of slack (not total movement, but slack).
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-20, 08:55 PM   #3
The Sleeper

Hi @craig380.

Thanks for that, will go and double check now, but I was getting maybe 5mm (mm not cm) movement which not being entirely mechanically minded but even that just seemed way to tight to me.

I think as a side affect is causing the knocking which i'm struggling to track down.
The Sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-20, 09:01 PM   #4
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Not saying it was, but if it was loose, it may have developed a bad tight spot. On the other hand, they may have just overtightened it
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-20, 09:55 PM   #5
redtrummy

Loosen it off a bit and see if the knocking stops.
redtrummy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-20, 11:29 PM   #6
Craig380
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sleeper View Post
Hi @craig380.

Thanks for that, will go and double check now, but I was getting maybe 5mm (mm not cm) movement which not being entirely mechanically minded but even that just seemed way to tight to me.

I think as a side affect is causing the knocking which i'm struggling to track down.
A lot of people overtighten chains. They shouldn't sag like old knicker elastic but they shouldn't be tight either.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-20, 07:06 AM   #7
shiftin_gear98

If you are lazy and like it simple - like me.
Buy one of these. Set once, can't go wrong (unless you leave it on, and tried to ride off)

https://www.tru-tension.co.uk/produc...dge%20required.

Last edited by shiftin_gear98; 12-11-20 at 09:41 AM.
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-20, 09:22 AM   #8
Dave20046
Mega Poster

I do it sat on the bike to set the tension loaded
Old 12-11-20, 11:30 AM   #9
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sleeper View Post
Hi Guys,

I have a question.

i took my bike in SV650 K9 for it's annual MoT. Had to have the chain tightened or it would fail, now i know there was probably a little too much slack but not huge amounts.

Since i've had this knocking which i could not find but think i've finally pinned it to a now over tightened chain.

I'm struggling to find the tolerance, i'm now conscious of taking it back to the place as if they have done that, what else are the trying to pull on me!

Any help appreciated.

i'm not trying to be funny but it sounds like you have had the bike for over a year and you still cant tighten a chain

same could be said for a lot of people. you dont need fancy gadgets, its not rocket science. its always better being a little on the slack side than tight.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-20, 03:38 PM   #10
gadget

I sat on the bike to 'preload' the chain and then adjusted it so there was 25mm of slack (up-down movement) right in the middle of the bottom run of the chain. Seems to work for me, never had any noises or any other chain related issues doing it this way. Biggest headache imo is making sure the wheel is perfectly aligned after you've finished tightening everything up. As said by another member ... it's not rocket science and when you've done it once ... doing it again seems less of a nightmare.
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote