SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-07-06, 05:45 AM   #1
Yellow650

Default Countersteering

I know it's almost common knowledge on this forum that in order to physically make any turn you must countersteer (whether you realize you're doing it or not), but that aside, I've found countersteering to be rather, well, easy. I tried it a few times, and since then I've wondered, "Is that all there is to it?" Some of you talk about practicing the maneuver, but I can't help but feel that after five or six tries, you pretty much have it. I am by know means calling myself a good rider, but it just seems simple and easy to me. Can anyone shed light onto this?
Old 02-07-06, 07:12 AM   #2
wheelnut

You had to start another thread didnt you? :P

It is simple and easy to do, you just have to understand why you do it.

Read that thread Cornering and Steering
Old 02-07-06, 07:43 AM   #3
ak_uk

Default Re: Countersteering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow650
I know it's almost common knowledge on this forum that in order to physically make any turn you must countersteer (whether you realize you're doing it or not), but that aside, I've found countersteering to be rather, well, easy. I tried it a few times, and since then I've wondered, "Is that all there is to it?" Some of you talk about practicing the maneuver, but I can't help but feel that after five or six tries, you pretty much have it. I am by know means calling myself a good rider, but it just seems simple and easy to me. Can anyone shed light onto this?
I for one wasn't really aware of the mechanics of steering a bike and thought it was down to the leaning - although I was probably counter-steering unconsiously.

As a new rider, with just 400 miles under my belt, I have already drifted close to kerbs and felt unable to drag the bike away from them without slowing right down but after reading that big thread on the subject - and trying out the one-handed demo - I can. The practicing I'm talkng about is actually just practicing cornering full stop and understanding what I'm actually doing.
Old 02-07-06, 08:48 AM   #4
Abyss

If you havent already read throuth this thread.
Old 02-07-06, 09:17 AM   #5
Anonymous

it is easy. most people do it without knowing. but its only part of good cornering
Old 03-07-06, 11:10 AM   #6
Balky001
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutty tart
it is easy. most people do it without knowing. but its only part of good cornering
Very true. You can counter steer all you like but if you have the wrong line or wrong throttle position its not going to help that much.

Yellow - You right it is easy but there's a big difference between active counter steering and how we natural do it without thinking. Twist of a Wrist/CSS reckons the average decent rider gets the bike from fully upright to full lean in about 2 seconds, Moto GP do it in less than half a second (on any sports bike). This might seem academic as they are racing on track and we are riding on roads but was it does buy you is 1.5 seconds where you can be more upright, so you can have a later turn in point, which can give you a better turn in and visiability in to a corner (safer on turn you don't know). As you'd have a better line you can set the suspension up (using the throttle) and get a better drive from the corner.

Getting the bike leant over (to the correct lean angle) take skill as its unnatural to throw the bike down that quick, and second to get the right angle that quick takes practise (easy to over lean it for the speed/corner angle). Its easier if you are taking your time but if you are turning in a second and a half slower you have to start your turn in earlier and therefore compromise your line.
Old 03-07-06, 11:57 AM   #7
chazzyb

Default Re: Countersteering

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_uk
As a new rider, with just 400 miles under my belt, I have already drifted close to kerbs and felt unable to drag the bike away from them without slowing right down
Sounds like target fixation might be part of the issue. The bike tends to go where you're looking. Look at that looming curb or hedge on the outside of the bend and that's where you will tend to go, not up the road where you want to be. Look at your exit to the bend and beyond.