SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-03-11, 09:43 PM   #1
rich88

Default buying advice please - cat d damage

hi everyone

after all the help last time i posted with the same subject i thought id ask for advice again.
I've just done a HPI check through auto trader on the bike i was thinking about looking at this weekend.

First thing i see is..
This vehicle is recorded as being a write-off by an insurance company on 19/09/2008.

And, its been shown as:
Category D A damaged vehicle which the insurer has decided not to repair, but which could be repaired and returned to the road. The new owner has told me the previous owner dropped the bike and repaired the fairing on one side himself.

The current milage for the bike is listed at 2,500, and on the HPI check the milage sourced from the DVLA is 2000miles, reported on the 31/10/08

Meaning its only done 500miles in the past year or so?

Should i just walk away now? or go check it out, see if its been well repaired etc, and knock him way down if it checks out?

Thanks!
Old 17-03-11, 10:04 PM   #2
rich88

Default Re: buying advice please - cat d damage

also just read up and found this....

"Will previous accident damage be recorded?

We will only show accident damage if the vehicle has been subject to a total loss claim through an insurance company. If the vehicle has been damaged but repaired by the insurance company or the owner, then there will be no record of it "

Could this imply the damage could have been caused by himself dropping it, claiming on the insurance but the excess being more than the repair, therefore the owner did it himself?
Old 17-03-11, 10:08 PM   #3
cbay
Mega Poster

What bike? Whats the price?
cbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-11, 10:12 PM   #4
rich88

its a black 08 sv650 from the pictures looks like is in good condition
2500 miles

asking price is £2995, from the sound of it i dont think he knew it was a write off as he didnt get a HPI check done when he bought it.

Obviously now im not going to pay anything near asking price.

But i was just thinking about if i came to selling it on and if it sounds legit
Old 17-03-11, 10:30 PM   #5
Bibio
Mega Poster

for that money you could pick up an sv that is not a cat d. i got myself an 07 plate with 1087 miles for £45 less that the one your looking at. plus you'll be the 3rd owner.

there are loads about keep looking. or offer them £2200-2400
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-11, 10:30 PM   #6
hardhat_harry

If its Cat D its been subject to a total loss, the owner always has the option of buying the bike back from the insurance company once he has been paid out and repairing it themselves.

What you have to remember the bike will always be worth less than an unrecorded and may be difficult to sell on when you have done with it.

I dont mind Cat C's and D's as a bargain coz I take the view that if the bike is more than 2 or 3 years old there is a good possibility the bikes been down the road at some point, but the general biking populas don't take to kindly to them.
Old 17-03-11, 10:35 PM   #7
lammypie

he must have known it was cat D. if anything seems a bit dodgy, walkaway you dont know what else theres going on and you cant put a price on peace of mind.

if you can get it inspected before you buy then go ahead. but if you do remember you need to tell your insurance company its been cat D'd before, or if heaven forbid you come off it, they may refuse to pay out on those grounds
Old 17-03-11, 10:45 PM   #8
lammypie

insurance companys have been know to cat D a bike for nothing more than a scuffed fairing, so some cat d's are in better nick than many 1 year old "less than loved" bikes. but as has been said, with this black mark on it, it will always be worth less and harder to sell. but if you're planning on keeping it for a long time and its all mechanically top notch, and without legal gremlins you can save yourself a few quid.

personally id rather avoid the hassle and look elsewhere, but this is your decision.
Old 17-03-11, 10:50 PM   #9
rich88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
for that money you could pick up an sv that is not a cat d. i got myself an 07 plate with 1087 miles for £45 less that the one your looking at. plus you'll be the 3rd owner.

there are loads about keep looking. or offer them £2200-2400
Yeahh i am thinking about just sacking it in and going somewhere else, but its seems so hard to find a nice full fair low milage new-ish black sv650.

Iv told the seller i wont be happy paying anything near the asking price, so if he does come down enough and it check out i think i will consider it.

Considering itd be my first real bike itd probably be a good thing spending less but this way i guess i still get pretty much what i wanted.

Or does that sound like a stupid idea?

Thanks again for the advice, it really is invaluable!
Old 17-03-11, 10:52 PM   #10
rich88

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammypie View Post
insurance companys have been know to cat D a bike for nothing more than a scuffed fairing, so some cat d's are in better nick than many 1 year old "less than loved" bikes. but as has been said, with this black mark on it, it will always be worth less and harder to sell. but if you're planning on keeping it for a long time and its all mechanically top notch, and without legal gremlins you can save yourself a few quid.

personally id rather avoid the hassle and look elsewhere, but this is your decision.
yeahhh i think this is what i have to work out.
I guess it comes down to price aswell

appreciate all the advice/opinions!