SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-08-05, 05:14 PM   #31
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamerybutter
What I see as a major flaw in the current monitoring of speed is that it is all electronic and therefore isn't able to make judgement calls, it sees you as either guilty or not guilty and it isn't always black and white like that.
Definately. The judgement should come into it when setting limits but that's just not happening now... Judgement can also be applied by the sentencing judge after a court case.

Thing is though, I don't think there was a golden age when coppers made the right decisions, dangerous speeders got punished and safe speeders drove off into the sunset. IMO when you're dealing with an officer it's as much about the sort of day they're having, whether they like your looks, whether they like or dislike bikes (or modded Clios or whatever), whether they're self-important power freaks, occasionally the colour of your skin or your accent, your age, how large your breasts are, whether or not the got a shag last night, etc etc. I know I've got off with offences that another copper would have done me for several times, and I've been done when another copper would have let me off. That's no fairer or more reasonable than being flashed for doing 45 on a deserted 40mph urban dual at midnight.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-05, 05:22 PM   #32
embee
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken McCulloch
Quote:
Originally Posted by embee
Hey, after all if I'm not exceeding 30mph it must be safe, yes???
.......Well safer than doing 70 in the same place which is the point surely? .........
(I was being sarcastic, referring to the "safety" epithet being appied to what we all know are "speed" cameras. Just because you're under 30mph doesn't mean you're safe).

My point being that doing 29mph staring at the speedo is NOT safer than doing 31mph but being alert and watching what's going on around you.

Hey Ken, I know you study this subject, on a serious point, what percentage of KSI car occupants are NOT wearing seat belts? I've been looking for some stats on this but it seems conspicuous by its absence in all the reports I've seen.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote