SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-09-06, 10:02 PM   #1
andyaikido

Default Interesting video from Dibble

Currently waiting to attend court for 'Excessive Speed'. I am sure I wasn't as fast as the copper is claiming (100mph in an NSL) so I requested the video evidence before entering a plea.

The police weren't in any way helpful in getting it for me and each one I spoke to had a different opinion on wether I was allowed to see it before the court date at all.

Anyways, lo and behold it arrives today and the tape is completely blank!

Does this mean the original exhibit is also blank? Hope so but somehow don't think it'll be that easy. Or perhaps the police are playing silly buggers.

Ah well, back on the phone tomorrow methinks.
Old 20-09-06, 10:23 PM   #2
Heed

I'm certainly no expert but that does sound very dodgy on the police side of things. Good luck anyway.
Old 21-09-06, 09:25 AM   #3
Warthog

maybe you were going so fast, the light couldn't escape off the back of your body and so the video camera just sees black?
Old 21-09-06, 10:40 AM   #4
arenalife

It's a cornerstone of our justice system that all evidence must be shared with the defendant BEFORE trial. Sounds like they're trying to fob you off by 'giving' you something, and then on the day, it will be the real deal.

If you're serious about this, you need to send recorded delivery letters to the police/court clerk etc about your lack of evidence supply. Or get a lawyer.
Old 21-09-06, 04:25 PM   #5
Oneiros

more likely the numpty given the job of copying the master tape didn't know how to work the vcr and didn't bother to check it before sending it out.
Old 23-09-06, 06:03 PM   #6
Jebiah

im not 100% but i remember reading about how they are suppose to send you the evidence before you go to court and when your in court if you ask why they didn't then all charges will be dropped, not sure if this is true but check http://www.pepipoo.com/ they have all the answers!
Old 23-09-06, 07:08 PM   #7
Demonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebiah
im not 100% but i remember reading about how they are suppose to send you the evidence before you go to court and when your in court if you ask why they didn't then all charges will be dropped, not sure if this is true but check http://www.pepipoo.com/ they have all the answers!
I also think they need to give you the evidence 14 days before the trial. If the tape is blank something tells me they havent any evidence. Get some legal advice on it.
Old 24-09-06, 12:49 AM   #8
muffles

i would have thought if they sent you a tape that was blank they could argue they tried to send you the evidence and you didn't tell them about it, so the evidence might be admissible - i wouldn't like to try to argue it was inadmissible if i'd not even told them it was blank! Pepipoo can clear that one up.
Old 24-09-06, 08:13 AM   #9
Jabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by arenalife
It's a cornerstone of our justice system that all evidence must be shared with the defendant BEFORE trial.
Absolutely, and the rules relating to this are very clear. It's called "disclosure".

No disrespect to anyone on here, but if you are planning to go to Court then you need to take proper legal advice and not just seek the views of a few legally-unqualified mates on here.

For example, it might be in your best interests to keep schtum about the blank video and let them present it in Court. But then again it might not. You need some proper advice.

There is one rather nice chap on here who is legally qualified and with a decent track record.......... you could try a PM
Old 24-09-06, 08:42 AM   #10
muffles

some solicitors offer 1 hours advice free, you could try that?