SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

The Border Patrol Covering North Wales, Shropshire, Staffs, Merseyside and Cheshire for SV650.org members, past, present and future

Old 11-10-07, 10:12 AM   #1
Baph

Default Think I got caught over the limit...

Yesterday, I had to make a trip up to Manchester & back, so decided to take the bike.

One the way back, just before Rhuallt Hill on the A55, I was kind of half in a dozing mood, just plodding along "in the region of" 70mph.

All of a sudden, something caught my eye, off to the left, and quite high. Oh crap, that has a yellow patch on the rear. Police helicopter. A quick look at the speedo revealed how large that "region" was, so I backed off the throttle.

The chopper came around in front of me (now I'm starting to come down the hill), hovered for a second in the middle of the road, then beggared off.

So now I suppose I await a possible NIP in the post. Beggar.

On the other hand though, I've recently learned that my past employer just payed me by mistake. Wohoo. But they've decided to claim it back. Section 13 Employment Rights Act 1996 says that their entitled to do this, but they can't demand it. I can setup whatever repayments I want, and they can't prosecute under the Theft Act, so it's a civil matter. But since I'd be paying back the money, I'm informed the courts wouldn't bother with the matter.

To quote the advert: For every clever thing, somewhere, something dumb happens.
Old 11-10-07, 11:13 AM   #2
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Default Re: Think I got caught over the limit...

Easy done.

good news (kinda) on the mistaken payment.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-07, 11:49 AM   #3
Bluepete
Mega Poster

What's the limit there Baph? Did you notice if you passed over some VASCAR marks on the road? Thay are white squares made of centre line material, about 40 by 40cms at least 0.125 miles apart.
They are needed to make the speed= distance/time equation work. I would have thought that the 'copter would work with a traffic car parked further up the road to stop you, explain the method and dose you there and then. Derbyshire do just that.

All you can do for now is live in fear of the postman! There again, postal strikes may mean any NIP is late anyway! Just a thought!
Bluepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-07, 11:57 AM   #4
Speedy Claire

Hope it comes to nothing, will keep fingers crossed for you... best of luck And nice news on the overpayment
Old 11-10-07, 12:31 PM   #5
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePete View Post
All you can do for now is live in fear of the postman! There again, postal strikes may mean any NIP is late anyway! Just a thought!
HMMM when I did the Contract Law section of the Chartered Institute of Bankers in Scotland course (so years ago) it was stated that in Scottish Law date of postmark = date of delivery in the eyes of the law.

So not sure if recent industrial action would help.

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-07, 01:51 PM   #6
slark01

Ouch hope you have not been caught mate .
As for the over payment, it's happened to me and the company didn't have a leg to stand on, however that was a couple of years ago so things may have changed.
Old 11-10-07, 02:10 PM   #7
SV Muppet

Cool Re: Think I got caught over the limit...

Police forces don't use helicopters to enforce speed limits! The cost of running them is horendous, and they have to limit their flying hours so that they can be available as much as possible for serious incidents.
However, if they were passing by anyway, maybe en-route back to base, and they saw a vehicle travelling a great deal over the speed limit then they would take a second look - possibility of a stolen vehicle, making off from crime etc etc.

Old 11-10-07, 02:10 PM   #8
G
Mega Poster

I always wprry about this on early blasts to matlock, see the chopper about.
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-07, 02:47 PM   #9
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Muppet View Post
Police forces don't use helicopters to enforce speed limits! The cost of running them is horendous, and they have to limit their flying hours so that they can be available as much as possible for serious incidents.
However, if they were passing by anyway, maybe en-route back to base, and they saw a vehicle travelling a great deal over the speed limit then they would take a second look - possibility of a stolen vehicle, making off from crime etc etc.

Oh yes they do. The N. Wales Polic helicoptor has VASCAR on board and it is used. They use the chopper to 'target speeding bikers' as Brunstrum hates us. Read the heli-blog on N. Wales police website and you will see comments such as 'went looking for speeding bikes'

Oh and Pete, A55 covered in VASCAR markings. As is A5, A4212, A470 that I can think of off top of head, cos it's nice open country where a chopper can stalk at a safe distance.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-07, 03:25 PM   #10
G
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
Oh yes they do.
+ 1 ........Derbyshire use a chopper frequently, and chesire police use a small plane on the cat & fiddle and sorrounding roads
G is offline   Reply With Quote