SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-10-16, 08:56 PM   #1
1812_S

Default Upgrading from A2 to A license

hi chaps i need to upgrade my license which means doing Mod 1 and 2 again

Anyway i dont have a svor any other bike anymore and dont want to fork out with a riding school (£400)

Does anyone know if i can just book a module 1 and use my mates sv ?

whats the deal with insurance as mod 1 is off road.

Do i have to show them i have insurance on the bike ?
1812_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-16, 09:50 PM   #2
nathcarr

Default Upgrading from A2 to A license

Hey mate first best of luck for upgrading . I've recently just done mine back in August after having my A2 for 3 years.

So to answer your questions, yes you can book your own mod 1 and mod 2 and turn upto it on any bike over 35kw obviously with in reason so not like an r1 or out daft haha there is a set amount of bikes your allowed to use, but your pals sv will be fine.

As for the insurance side to be really legal you will have to have someone with the correct license ride it there for you, just because of your licence restriction and if they see you on it they may either think the bike is restricted and that's how your legally riding it and then not let you use it for test as it is menna be unrestricted or they will assume your riding illegally which to be fare they cant say anything because there not law but it would save the hassle of it came up.

Also the bike you use must display L plates for test use as it is a test and your technically a learner, that's for both parts I only know this because I used my own sv for mod 2 just not for mod 1 because it has a pants turning circle compared to an xj600 so made manouvers harder, I would consider this unless it's a naked sv there easier to control on the mod 1 than the faired.

I didn't hAve to provide insurance documents but I had them with me just in case

Hope all this helps mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by nathcarr; 12-10-16 at 09:53 PM.
Old 13-10-16, 10:53 AM   #3
1812_S

Default Re: Upgrading from A2 to A license

Thanks alot for that pal.

Yeah i would only do it for mod 1.

Would be easy just to get my friend to ride up there and then quickly stick L plates on and do it.

Was only worried about if they ask for insurance certificates
1812_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-16, 11:57 AM   #4
nathcarr

Default Re: Upgrading from A2 to A license

Anytime mate,

That'll be the best way I would say mate, like I say for insurance as long as it is insured you should be fine, I never got asked to present any documents or out and I was on the road for mine, like you say the mod 1 is off road so should be fine,
Also I would take a hi visability best with you just incase because it's a must up my end for tests and the test centre didn't provide them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk