SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-06-20, 08:15 PM   #11
gadget

Default Re: Reg rec compatability

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveangel View Post
Thanks for the responses guys.

The stock R/R is W 8cm H 65cm D 3cm when I removed the tailpiece today.
Elextrex World one is W 8cm H 8cm D 3cm so is that extra few mm on the corners that causes the problem so you may need to take a Dremel to it gadget.
Not owning a Dremel/Grinder or big file I've found a Tourmax replacement which is rectangular and closer in shape to the OE so can check the output once it & a new battery are refitted.

Hopefully bright lights and normal voltages all round when they turn up!

Probably the Yuasa YT12A-BS as fitted originally, I've always stuck with them
I was leaning towards the Yuasa tbh but had contemplated the Motobat purely because it has multiple connection points which would be handy for add-ons such as charging fly lead, alarm wires, charging point etc.
Also ... the guy I bought the rectifier from assures me the model I bought was specifically for the 99 sv650s and fitted perfectly with zero messing about or clearance issues as he has exactly the same rectifier and exactly the same 99 sv650s, so ... fingers crossed eh! I'll post up my findings when all done.
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-20, 06:47 AM   #12
gadget

Well, I've fitted the 'Electrex' reg/rec and tbh ... it was a doddle, I can't see if there are any clearance issues as when replacing the tail piece it largely obscures any view of the rectifier. What I was pleased about was the extra long wiring it was fitted with, this enables the deletion of the silly factory 8cm extension! Why Suzuki fitted this 'potential point of failure ' I don't know but now it's gone. It actually plugs into itself so no need to take it out completely, just tuck it away.
The only thing I had to sort was a pair of longer bolts for the rectifier as it's a bit thicker than the original.
The battery is charging as I write this so hopefully all will be ok from now on, although the Yuasa ytx12bs as about 25mm too tall for the battery box so the cover doesn't quite fit, so at some point I'll buy the original yt12a which is the factory fit jobbie.
Old 12-07-20, 11:35 AM   #13
daveangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget View Post
Well, I've fitted the 'Electrex' reg/rec and tbh ... it was a doddle, I can't see if there are any clearance issues as when replacing the tail piece it largely obscures any view of the rectifier. What I was pleased about was the extra long wiring it was fitted with, this enables the deletion of the silly factory 8cm extension! Why Suzuki fitted this 'potential point of failure ' I don't know but now it's gone. It actually plugs into itself so no need to take it out completely, just tuck it away.
The only thing I had to sort was a pair of longer bolts for the rectifier as it's a bit thicker than the original.
The battery is charging as I write this so hopefully all will be ok from now on, although the Yuasa ytx12bs as about 25mm too tall for the battery box so the cover doesn't quite fit, so at some point I'll buy the original yt12a which is the factory fit jobbie.
Good to know all is OK gadget, mine is all back together & charging as should be. Maybe Elextrex sent me the wrong one or after they had a few returned made the unit smaller to fit. Luckily found a Tourmax one from a breaker off a same year curvy as mine which hadn't long been fitted. Will be checking the voltage output now & then to make sure all is OK.

'99 'curvy' SV650S, R&G Bobbins, Renegade Endcan, no anodised bling. .
daveangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-20, 04:52 PM   #14
gadget

Dave angel... pretty much doing the same thing tbh ... just keeping an eye on the voltage from time to time n see how it goes, only real concern was my battery, I wasn't 100% sure it was ok due to the original re rec possibly cooking the battery but it charged up ok and seems to be holding a charge after several runs/starts etc. Still have to get an original size battery as the one fitted is about 2cm too tall so the top cover doesn't quite fit properly.
Good luck with your findings too bud.