SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 13-07-20, 01:18 PM   #1
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Gusto Meals

Gusto meal boxes. anyone tried them?

i'm a bit fed up cooking the same old every night and it was one of the mates says that him and his missus uses them as they had the same problem.

its not bad priced and £35 for 2 people for 4 nights delivered to your door. ok so i can go to the supermarket and get a lot more shopping for £35 but i then have to decide what i want.

from what i know they send you a box with all the ingredients and cooking instructions.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-20, 01:20 PM   #2
shiftin_gear98

Default Re: Gousto

I haven't used them yet, but a few friends have and I think my wife likes the idea of it.
Old 13-07-20, 01:40 PM   #3
Bibio
Mega Poster

i have just signed up and ordered a box. the 30% took my first month down to £25 for 2x4. its arriving Friday so i'll update when its here.

BTW if you just want to go straight ahead and order stuff without mates codes etc.etc then start with the promotion link first as the site is a nightmare.

if you have mates who use them then get their invite code as they get £10 off a box and you get 35% off your first box and then a month afterwords.

if anyone wants to use my code then put LANCE41885139 in the promo code box at checkout.

wish the mate had told me about the code before hand.. ohh well his loss.. lol

Last edited by Bibio; 13-07-20 at 01:48 PM.
Old 13-07-20, 06:59 PM   #4
Dave20046
Mega Poster

I tried 'hello fresh', think that's the same? The recipes were really nice and the meat was noticably better quality than supermarket stuff. Problem is the portions were small and I'm a greedy **** so just wasn't sustainable after the introductory discounts ended.

I kept the recipe cards then just bought the recipes I really liked from a muggle supermarket

Last edited by Dave20046; 13-07-20 at 07:01 PM.
Dave20046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-20, 12:19 PM   #5
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
I tried 'hello fresh', think that's the same? The recipes were really nice and the meat was noticably better quality than supermarket stuff. Problem is the portions were small and I'm a greedy **** so just wasn't sustainable after the introductory discounts ended.

I kept the recipe cards then just bought the recipes I really liked from a muggle supermarket
well you see i'm the same and a 2 person 'normal' meal is a single meal for me unless the portions are 'restaurant' sized. this is why i dont buy ready meals as the portions are too small and i end up eating two which is too much.

i'm not really fussed about the cost as such its the ease, fun and variety that i'm looking for. at £8.5 a meal for 'two' at full price its still cheaper than takeaway and such which again i dont eat that often. even ready meals which i dont buy are bordering on £5 for a small one person meal.

i suppose once i have a collection of recipes then yes i guess i will buy my own stuff to make them.

i've often wondered why supermarkets dont have 'make a meal' cards at the front doors. they could even put them in slot machines and you pay £1 for them.

my mum back in the 80's got hooked on collecting those card in a box things that taught you how to cook meals, cakes and stuff but she never used any of them. i might still have it somewhere..
Old 14-07-20, 03:59 PM   #6
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
well you see i'm the same and a 2 person 'normal' meal is a single meal for me unless the portions are 'restaurant' sized. this is why i dont buy ready meals as the portions are too small and i end up eating two which is too much.

i'm not really fussed about the cost as such its the ease, fun and variety that i'm looking for. at £8.5 a meal for 'two' at full price its still cheaper than takeaway and such which again i dont eat that often. even ready meals which i dont buy are bordering on £5 for a small one person meal.

i suppose once i have a collection of recipes then yes i guess i will buy my own stuff to make them.

i've often wondered why supermarkets dont have 'make a meal' cards at the front doors. they could even put them in slot machines and you pay £1 for them.

my mum back in the 80's got hooked on collecting those card in a box things that taught you how to cook meals, cakes and stuff but she never used any of them. i might still have it somewhere..
Yep, I was eating the HelloFresh meals 'for two' for one. If you enjoy it keep 'em coming.

If you want to save a few pence add a few new recipe's to your repertoire and just go get decent quality meat from a butcher and the rest from a supermarket and do it yourself.

Yep, I don't get why they're missing that trick. I do like on some recipe websites now they let you click a button to auto add all the ingredients to an online supermarket of your choosing.
Old 14-07-20, 09:02 PM   #7
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gusto Meals

I just don't get it. Are you saying paying someone else to decide what you're going to eat for dinner and letting them supply all the ingredients.....which you then have to cook, is in some way better than you deciding what you want and buying them yourself? I suppose at the moment if you need to avoid the risks associated with shopping there might be an attraction, but unless you can trust the person preparing your ingredients the COVID risk is still there!

If you want variety and surprise then buy a cook book and randomly open the pages seven times every Friday evening. Then go out Saturday morning and buy whatever you're going to need for the next seven days ......
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-20, 09:28 PM   #8
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post

If you want variety and surprise then buy a cook book and randomly open the pages seven times every Friday evening. Then go out Saturday morning and buy whatever you're going to need for the next seven days ......
done that, been there. but it means i have to go round the supermarket buying more ingredients than i need so end up eating the same meal for days on end, get fed up and them move onto something else.

ICBA deciding what i want to eat every day so if i choose a set plan for four days, get it delivered to my door and have variety and pay a little more then ok so be it... otherwise i'll just slip into my usual.

BTW i go shopping pretty much every day so i cook/eat fresh. its the deciding what i want thats the problem. all i do with this online meal place is click on the meals i like the look/sound of and they deliver everything to my door and i get the pleasure of cooking it myself. so what if it costs a bit more, life it way too short.

i can cook and have been since the age of about 8 and i'm pretty good at it but i'm set in my ways and need to change.

i have a drawer full of cook books but i CBA going the the supermarket and discovering that they dont have the ingredients etc.etc.

i do understand what you are saying and appreciate its not for everyone.
Old 15-07-20, 12:45 PM   #9
Bibio
Mega Poster

well that has put me off slightly. they automatically put you on a subscription so they send you a box each week and you have to cancel it.

this is bad practice and they said nothing about it. if you dont pick your meals then they will send you out what they think you will like. i sort of like the idea of them sending me a surprise but forcing a subscription on me is a nono.
Old 18-07-20, 11:00 AM   #10
Bibio
Mega Poster

box arrived yesterday and everything was well packed. the recipes are numbered so no confusion with the little extra packs.

the actual instructions are a bit messed up if you are used to preparing and cooking stuff.

i made the tortillas which were tasty. the portion size is what i expected and slightly over a ready meal for one so i had both portions which was too much for me but i would say just right for a larger person. i would say the portion size is just right for skinny runts or people wanting to go on a diet.

important part though is it was fun.