SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 22-08-11, 09:26 PM   #41
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Default Re: Solar panels

I'd rather have a system that recharged batteries. Maybe a little wind turbine too. Totally self sufficient. Get as much 12V equipment as possible, inverters for the rest.

Or get land with a stream on it and make a little hydro plant!
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-11, 09:42 PM   #42
tigersaw
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S View Post
I'd rather have a system that recharged batteries. Maybe a little wind turbine too. Totally self sufficient. Get as much 12V equipment as possible, inverters for the rest.

True, though with the feed in tarrif system you sell it expensive and buy it back cheap, so thats a bit like a battery!
On the other hand, DIY 12v stuff could be thrown together cheap as chips. Car alternators, water or wind turbines as you say and a few batteries could run your shed or garage requirements. I'l start you off with some batteries if you want to come and fetch, always replacing them at work
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-11, 09:48 PM   #43
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Need my own place first lol
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-11, 07:49 AM   #44
flymo
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigersaw View Post
All a bit ambiguous really isn't it.
A worry is the unproven longevity of the equipment. The inverter will almost certainly fail, the PV panels are not expected but who can tell. Its all and well having a 20 year guareentee, but from a company thats been trading for just a year or so its a hard one to believe in.
I dont agree with this. The inverter will not almost certainly fail, that implies a totally theoretical high probability of failure. Inverters are not new technology and have been in long term use in many applications for years, there is no reason to suspect a high failure rate.

PV panel lifespan is based upon track record, the very early technology panels are in many cases still going strong. The guarantee doesnt just cover operation, they have guaranteed output of at least 80% of their current performance after 25 years, by which time I may well be looking for more efficient replacements, just like my double glazing for example.

Fingers crossed that the sun doesnt burn out, there's no guatantee that it will continue to exist I suppose.

Now.....guaranteed financial return on my savings.....I reckon that is much more likely to be flakey.

One thought that occured to me, we havent even touched on the fact that this is an extremely environmentally friendly way to generate electricity. Yeah, I know we could go into carbon footprint of manufacture etc but seriously, in a big house with two TV addict kids and a busy iron/washer/dryer we are almost generating everything we need. That has to be worthwhile.

I almost feel like I have to defend this, but I dont. Please feel free to do your own research and ask away if there's anything you want to know. I've put my money where my mouth is based on what I've learnt and so far its looking an extremely good step to take.
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-11, 08:09 AM   #45
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

A few years ago I came up with the idea of producing roof tiles with solar panel coating/surface. My thinking was that if every new build or refurbed roof was to use these, then it would reduce our dependency on fossil/nuclear fuel for domestic electricity production.

I never took it any further, but there are companies that produce these products now. It's a pity that the government can't mandate their use in all new builds (I am aware of the issues/unfeasability of this approach btw).
Nobbylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-11, 08:12 AM   #46
flymo
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobbylad View Post
A few years ago I came up with the idea of producing roof tiles with solar panel coating/surface. My thinking was that if every new build or refurbed roof was to use these, then it would reduce our dependency on fossil/nuclear fuel for domestic electricity production.

I never took it any further, but there are companies that produce these products now. It's a pity that the government can't mandate their use in all new builds (I am aware of the issues/unfeasability of this approach btw).
I expect they will at some point, or more likely influence this by applying energy efficiency taxes to those that dont. I've also seen developments that use glass panels to generate electricity. While not aimed at domestic use they are potentially interesting for larger glass buildings.
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-11, 08:18 AM   #47
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

I've always wanted to complete a new build and use geothermal energy for heating and wind/solar power for electricity generation. I saw a documentary once on the geothermal stuff, was very interesting.

Anyway - appreciate this is getting into a bit of a derail. FWIW Mike - I like the idea of what you're doing, however £14k is a large outlay and beyond the reach of many I would say. I reckon you'll deffo turn a profit by 10yrs, especially with the way energy prices will inevitably keep rising. It'll be more than 10yrs before we go any way to removing our dependency on fossil fuel for large scale electricity production IMO.
Nobbylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-11, 10:23 AM   #48
Quedos

I always fancied Solar but I'm not allowed to put anything on the roof. its pants!
Old 23-08-11, 10:50 AM   #49
Daimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S View Post

Realistically, how much flow is needed? Ditto with the wind turbine. Combine the two with small motors and surley theres enough to say run a TV?

Wondering if my pond stream can flow enought to self generate its own power to run? I know 15l per second is engouh to run a house, but its not a big stream

I want solar, but IMO for the moment, the finances out are too high to justify.
Old 23-08-11, 12:54 PM   #50
Jimmy2Feet

I think Solar is the way to go, At the moment although not new technology, it is still quite new to the consumer. I think that looking at the way that elec prices are going up, and that will not stop any time soon, the long term saving i think is a guarantee, as long as you plan to stay in the home that is! i am not sure what return you will see on sale of the property!

I am defo going to go that route, We only plan to stay in our current property for the next 2/3 years, but my other half works for a company that supply and fit solar units so we hope?!? that we will be able to get it for a good price, and the next proeprty will prob be a 10 year+ move so i am all for it.

Also i hope over the next few years the technology will get better as more people spend money on it. also i think that the changes in government schemes to help will only get better IMO. And i think it is only a matter of time until building regs move towards needing solar cells in roof tiles for new builds. it just makes sence!