SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-06-20, 12:50 PM   #11
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Default Re: White lines?

Quote:
Oh my god! That's horrendous. It's why bikers should dominate their lane, and why learners should have more mandatory training. It's also exactly the same reason why cycl... never mind.
haha! Take it to the other thread, I of course have a robust and rational argument in my pocket.
Quote:

The car driver is clearly driving dangerously, but if it had been a safe pass (e.g. a motorcyclist intentionally giving up position to allow another motorcyclist to pass in the same lane) would it have been legal?
That's my query really. I'm pretty sure it is , one being because I'm certain I've seen a bikecop do it on solid whites...but I've also seen them do 100mph in a 40 I can't seem to recall or find the bit of highway code though.
Old 03-06-20, 12:52 PM   #12
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_SVS View Post
Giving up position to allow another motorcyclist to pass in the same lane isn't illegal in any sense I can recall. Or indeed, is passing another motorcyclist in the same lane.

Could perhaps argue that HC 163 would apply re giving as much space as you would when overtaking a car, this is advisory though

That's what I was thinking and therefore presumably applies to motorbikes passing cars too.
Old 03-06-20, 01:29 PM   #13
Chris_SVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
That's what I was thinking and therefore presumably applies to motorbikes passing cars too.
You're into filtering territory there really, which is in essence still an overtake at much lower speeds vs slow moving or stationary vehicles.
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-20, 09:15 PM   #14
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by daktulos View Post
After the discussion in the cyclist thread, I happened to watch a video on Youtube which reminded me of something I've been wondering for a while. Here's a still from it:

Thanks.

who ever is riding that bike needs to take advanced lessons on how to ride.... that is furking shocking. if that car was a bus or lorry they would be dead. right bend~left side, left bend~right side.. always. its easy to go fast and cut corners it takes great skill to ride fast safely and properly.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-20, 02:08 PM   #15
Chris_SVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
who ever is riding that bike needs to take advanced lessons on how to ride.... that is furking shocking. if that car was a bus or lorry they would be dead. right bend~left side, left bend~right side.. always. its easy to go fast and cut corners it takes great skill to ride fast safely and properly.
Awful but common riding that prioritises speed over safety and the shorter + faster racing line over vision.

He's riding a nice bike but also riding his luck
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-20, 02:13 PM   #16
Grant66

Did we get the link to the original video?

Sent from an S20 using Tapatalk with that kin cr4p blocked
Grant66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-20, 05:19 PM   #17
daktulos

I didn't post the video as I didn't want it to just be about the riding ... but here it is, anyway.

YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-20, 07:07 PM   #18
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:

I think if it's a stationary vehicle, you can cross the line - but I would think twice as the rule is no doubt intended for parked cars, not bypassing a queue.
i've always followed the rule of stationary vehicle for which you can include vehicles in a traffic jam. Never had any issues filtering past Police Cars on solid white lines who are stuck in a traffic jam.
So long as you are doing it when it is safe, there is no issue - as with any overtake it is your responsibility as the rider/driver to ensure the overtake is safe.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-20, 07:33 PM   #19
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
I didn't post the video as I didn't want it to just be about the riding ... but here it is, anyway.

YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.
weirdly the person is riding sort of properly apart from KEEPING a line round bends. trying to carry speed rather than keeping safe.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-20, 09:47 PM   #20
redtrummy

My understanding is that you can cross double white lines to overtake traffic moving less than 10mph. It was a long time ago I read it somewhere so might have been revised
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote