SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-11-04, 11:36 AM   #21
BaggaZee

Cool , ta.

I'll just have to go & look at a few.
Old 25-11-04, 12:51 PM   #22
Spookinghound

I've got a Dainese jobbie. I used to wear it all the time but have been worried that it might actually ride up into the base of my skull in the wrong kind of off (is there a right kind?). Been thinking about flogging it and getting a soft type.
Old 25-11-04, 01:09 PM   #23
PBx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaggaZee
How about ventilation on these things in summer?
The Knox stowaway can get rather 'snug' if you get caught up in traffic, but as soon as you are making progress with your jacket vents open you soon cool down again. Comfort is really good provided you get the size that fits you properly, for those that didn't know they aint like afro's where one size fits all.
Old 26-11-04, 12:15 AM   #24
Rune

Quote:
How about ventilation on these things in summer?
Dainese do a ventilated one called "wave", I remember reading somewere that they are very comfortable. I'm going to get one myself.
Old 26-11-04, 02:51 PM   #25
coombest

Whatever you go for, make sure it fits and that you WILL wear it!

Mark (rictus) gave me the best piece of advice before I got mine, which was that Back protectors are only any good if you actually wear them!

I bought mine as a rush-purchase on the day I went to Wales for my Track-day, so I didn't do as much trying-on as I would have and I was limited to one shop's stock.

I ended up with a Clover one which was the right kinda size for me, although would ride up towards my neck if I wasn't careful (not a nice thought of what could happen!!).
It DID get a bit sweaty if you were caught in heavy traffic for long periods but was fine when moving (I ONLY wore 1 piece racing leathers all through summer though!).

The best thing I can say about it (and, I suppose ANY back protector) is that I am still here!

I got on my bike last Friday without it, realised and went to put it on...

10 minutes later, I was laying in the road with Paramedics around me having been thrown over the top of a car.

I'm pretty certain that if it wasn't for the back protector, I wouldn't be able to walk as I can (to an extent!!) now!

My advice:

Buy one...

AND wear it - ALWAYS!
Old 26-11-04, 10:35 PM   #26
Muttley

Quote:
Originally Posted by coombest
I got on my bike last Friday without it, realised and went to put it on...

10 minutes later, I was laying in the road with Paramedics around me having been thrown over the top of a car.
But then if you hadn't spent 10 minutes getting your back protector you would have been 10 minutes further up the road and nowhere near that car.

I wear Knox Ricochet (or however you spell it)
Old 03-12-04, 10:38 PM   #27
portreekid

Quote:
That's that answered then.
What about decent armour to replace the 'comfort padding' in the back of a jacket?
Is this an option or is a seperate one the only decent solution? The thought of having yet another bit of kit to lug about when off the bike is depressing, rolled up or not!
Knox's Aeropack backpack has straps specifically for securing the Stowaway protector for when not on bike.
(Santa's bringing me one )
Old 04-12-04, 06:40 PM   #28
northwind
Mega Poster

I sewed one half of a rucksack clippy buckle thing onto my usual rucksack (big Quicksilver one that'll hold a lid plus gloves and my cordura trousers, handy...) and piut the opther half on the wee bag for the stowaway, so apart from the jacket all my gear stashes quite easily.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-04, 06:40 PM   #29
northwind
Mega Poster

I sewed one half of a rucksack clippy buckle thing onto my usual rucksack (big Quicksilver one that'll hold a lid plus gloves and my cordura trousers, handy...) and piut the opther half on the wee bag for the stowaway, so apart from the jacket all my gear stashes quite easily. But I look like a hermit, carrying all my possessions on my back
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-10, 08:07 AM   #30
Chobblington

Default Re: The Best Back Protector.!!.

Anyone got the Forcefield Pro Level 2 insert or stand alone?