SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-03-06, 01:55 AM   #1
kaned1

Default GSXR rear wheel swap

Anyone put a late model gsxr wheel on their SV. I know there is some machining involved in doing it, but I'm not sure where exactly to machine to get the wheel centered and the sprocket to line up.
Old 22-03-06, 07:24 AM   #2
uthaug

If no one on this forum knows, then ask TWF on svrider.com
Old 22-03-06, 10:50 AM   #3
northwind
Mega Poster

NewSVS was looking at fitting a SRAD 600 wheel, but I'm not sure exactly how that's going. IIRC you have to machine down the sprocket carrier, and then work out the spacing on the RHS,but I'm sure he can help more.

Bandit 1200 wheels are 5.5 and will fit surprisingly easily... But heavy. I suspect if you speak to TWF, he'll recommend a Honda F3 wheel, only 5" but easier and lighter. I think he may do a kit for a GSXR1100 wheel, which is much teh same deal (if not exactly the same) as the Bandit 12.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-06, 11:04 AM   #4
NedSVS

I recently bought a GSXR600 SRAD wheel (can't tie it down to a specific year) and found it to be too wide at the hub. To make it fit you would need to have the wheel machined back at the disc mounting point (and then you will be in a grey area as to whether or not you are weakening the wheel too much). On the sprocket carrier side, you would need to have the carrier machined and a new spacer made for between carrier and wheel (because of the design you can't just shorten this spacer). You would also need to have captive spacers made as there are no bearing sizes available to fit the wheel that suit the standard SV spindle. All in all, a pretty big job and I wouldn't bother unless you are very friendly with someone who works in a machine shop
NedSVS is offline   Reply With Quote