SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-02-09, 08:22 PM   #1
I'm_a_Newbie

Talking Caliper Overhaul - No Bleedin Problem

Excuse the pun, I couldn't resist it.

Last weekend I stripped the front brakes only to find the winter salt had got behind the dust seals of the calipers. I ordered new pistons and ended up getting new seal kits as well as the seals that came with the new pistons were naff! Turned out I didn't need any of it. The old pistons cleaned up really well and the original seals were in A1 condition.

I ordered 500g of Rubber Grease, so if anybody needs some and they can get to Waterlooville with a 35mm film pot and crosses my palm with some silver you are welcome to some.

Anyway, I used a brake pipe clamp to stop all the fluid draining from the system, so I had no problem bleeding the brakes afterwards. Those of you with braided hose can't use a clamp.

I put in some new GoldFren HH pads. These bedded in with a couple of miles, they seem to have good bite and stopping power for a cheap brand.

All good for a while. I even found time to remove and strip the sidestand.

Tim.