SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-11-10, 07:07 PM   #1
sv4me
Mega Poster

Thumbs down Z1000SX....thanks for nothing Kawasaki

I've just been reading in MCN a fairly glowing review for the new Z1000. Theyre calling it a real world sportsbike with more than adequate touring capabilities. Smooth, fast, comfy, nimble, good looking (IMO) comes with ABS and adjustable screen. Seems like the perfect replacement for my Dads Z750

Ok so it says even though the panniers arent massive, because theyre pretty much the 1s for the Versys they dont blend into the bikes styling and tend to stick out a bit. That I can live with. You can imagine my reaction though when I read it comes with a 39ltr topbox (again not the biggest) that cannot be fitted at the same time as the panniers. And vice versa............

WTF is the point of that!!? I'd be ok if they only offered 1 of the options and said it was more sports biased but they don't, they give you both and then say uhh uhh you can only use 1 at a time. Thanks thats a great help

I think it was Berlin recently who questionned bike makers and what theyre playing at with superbikes and power modes (I'm with him on that) and i'd like to jump on the bandwagon and say well done Kawasaki for this stroke of genius

I'm thinking 2 things could have happened here, 1 they didnt want to take sales away from their own big beefer GTR1400 (call me crazy but being 5'7 and around 12stone I dont fancy tackling that big sob) so didnt make the Z1000 quite as practical as it might have been. Or they got their heads stuck so far up their own @rses they forgot what real bikers want.

I'm pretty sure a firm will come along and make it possible to have both but why didn't Kawasaki feel the need to do it themselves? Me and my Dad have invested a not insignificant amount into the SW Motech racks for his 750, which we werent too bothered about buying as the bike was £5k new. The Z1000 will cost over £10k for the touring model. Not unreasonable to expect a full package for that price surely

Rant over
sv4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-10, 07:16 PM   #2
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

Default Re: Z1000SX....thanks for nothing Kawasaki

i looked at the new Z1000 earlier this year but the price put me off with what you get for your money, loved the way it looked in black and white tho, same with the z750 but i found the suspension a bit sloppy on it

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-10, 07:42 PM   #3
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

The reason why they don't go on together is because it causes weave at certain speeds.
Something along the lines of Pan European police bike problem.

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-10, 08:48 PM   #4
sv4me
Mega Poster

See your point but it's not dangerous to sell bikes fully laiden with luggage (Suzuki GSX1250) and they must know most people would prefer to have the option so why take it away

Having a topbox on does affect the handling much more than the panniers i've noticed on the 750, airflow and weight being higher up and all that but i've never considered it dangerous. Just slow down a bit
Old 24-11-10, 10:14 PM   #5
Bluefish

So you can go touring, just not too far lol.
Old 25-11-10, 12:01 AM   #6
Lozzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv4me View Post

Ok so it says even though the panniers arent massive, because theyre pretty much the 1s for the Versys they dont blend into the bikes styling and tend to stick out a bit. That I can live with. You can imagine my reaction though when I read it comes with a 39ltr topbox (again not the biggest) that cannot be fitted at the same time as the panniers. And vice versa............
I think you'll find that the racks supplied by Kawasaki are made by Givi, who also sell them under their own brand name. Kawasaki claimed you couldn't fit a set of panniers and a topbox to a '09 model Versys, but mine's had both since Jan 1st this year, with no ill effects on handling or the rear subframe. I bought the Givi rack and topbox from some firm in Exeter after consulting Givi themselves about whether it would fit with panniers - they said there's no known issues with fitting a full set of luggage, which is why they make a full kit suitable for that bike.

From what I hear you will be able to get a Givi topbox rack that will fit with the Z1000SX's panniers. It may not be the same one Kawasaki supply as an accessory for use without pannier racks fitted - that's how it worked with the Versys set up.

By the way, the panniers supplied weren't designed for the Versys. They are Givis new universal design that are meant to go on just about any bike, in fact I'm sure Givi do a kit to make them fit an SV. It just so happens they suit the Versys 'styling'* very well

* For limited values of styling.

Last edited by Lozzo; 25-11-10 at 12:05 AM.
Old 25-11-10, 01:08 AM   #7
sv4me
Mega Poster

Thanks Lozzo,sense at last

So I was right when I said Kawasaki are clueless,but thankfully Givi aren't that way inclined. Having to buy a different topbox rack on a bike that costs £10k

If we were to go ahead with the swap,the money from selling the SW Motech racks off the 750 could fund the other Givi topbox rack
Old 25-11-10, 06:13 AM   #8
rictus01
Mega Poster

just as a matter of interest, does anyone else get reminded of the Hayabusa subframe story here? I've no idea whether it would cause any issue in this case, but like Suzuki at the time, I could see Kawasaki blaming any warranty claim on not following their advice (suzuki spent over a year stating reasons for several subframe failures was everything from the wrong luggage fitted or overloaded, to riding to fast, it was a Hayabusa...., before they admitted a redesigned subframe was needed,) just a thought
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-10, 09:40 AM   #9
STRAMASHER
Mega Poster

I was dissapointed too when I read the daftness of Kawa "not allowing" a 3 box set up on a "sport/tourer".Nuts.

I do all my touring 2up and with a 52L topbox so these specs I always investigate including claimed weight restrictions, ie 3kg limit in a topbox for some bikes! Thats about covers all the bloody chargers she takes!

I think they fitted an alloy (although it looks very heavily braced under the seat on the SX) to appease their marketing department and spec sheet, pub talk obssessives for "class leading" overall weight.
Who the hell will notice the few kgs difference in a stronger steel subframe? (What Suzuki finally made "optional" on the Busa AFAIK after blaming aftermarket exhausts as well as the points Rictus mentions) Safe for 2 folks and the kitchen sink although still not approved by Suzuki or Givi.
The naked Z1000 and its daft 15L tank coz it "shows the bikes aggressive intent" is bonkers too.

Meanwhile back in the real world buyers have to risk ignoring the info and spend more dosh on getting a proper set up which the bike should have had in the first place. Can't they just recommend a maximum recommended speed for a full set-up to "protect us from ourselves/ cover their arses?"

I would have thought manufacturers would have learned from not just the Busa and its owners intentions for the motorcycle but Kawas own Versys and the nightmare and expense of getting a decent system of luggage on a ZZR14.

Obviously not.
STRAMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-10, 05:44 PM   #10
Lozzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRAMASHER View Post

I would have thought manufacturers would have learned from not just the Busa and its owners intentions for the motorcycle but Kawas own Versys and the nightmare and expense of getting a decent system of luggage on a ZZR14.

Obviously not.
There's no nightmare or huge expense (compared to other models) in kitting out a ZZR1400 with full luggage. It is available and costs no more than kitting out any other bike. I've seen a few ZZR14s with three boxes fitted