SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 25-02-09, 10:30 PM   #1
G
Mega Poster

Default Travel Sleeping Bags?

I'm looking for a travel sleeping bag that takes up MINIMAL space, yet is cheap and warm.

Anyone got some experience of what is good?

The best one I can seem to find which also came recommended was a Snugpak TravelPak Lite or Traveller (not sure what the difference is other than price.

http://shop.packyourbags.com/acatalo...lpak_Lite.html

This particular sleeping bag is rated down to 7c or 2c at its lowest........yet shrinks down to a tiny 12cm x 14cm which is bairly 1ltr of storage space. Yet just £30

Anyone know of anything that competes with that?

Last edited by G; 25-02-09 at 10:33 PM.
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-09, 10:32 PM   #2
shonadoll

Default Re: Travel Sleeping Bags?

I've got the Snugpak Softie Kestrel, they are very good sleeping bags, and mine packs down pretty small too. Well made, as well,

One thing- I looked at that one tto, but a good few reviews mentioned that it was really best for warm places, ie not Scotland in winter. Of course that depends where you are going.
Old 25-02-09, 10:35 PM   #3
Dan

If you want something warm (which really means comfort rated to 0 deg C or below), and small, it'll be pure down filled, which means it won't be cheap.

What are you going to be using the bag for? In what seasons, and what kind of climates? Do you like to be sweating in bed, or do you have the windows open all through winter and still sleep naked on top of the duvet???
Old 25-02-09, 10:37 PM   #4
G
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonadoll View Post
I've got the Snugpak Softie Kestrel, they are very good sleeping bags, and mine packs down pretty small too. Well made, as well,

One thing- I looked at that one tto, but a good few reviews mentioned that it was really best for warm places, ie not Scotland in winter. Of course that depends where you are going.

Yeah its fairly unlikely I will find myself camping in scotland in winter

I expect to only be camping when (relatively) warm
Old 25-02-09, 10:39 PM   #5
G
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
If you want something warm (which really means comfort rated to 0 deg C or below), and small, it'll be pure down filled, which means it won't be cheap.

What are you going to be using the bag for? In what seasons, and what kind of climates? Do you like to be sweating in bed, or do you have the windows open all through winter and still sleep naked on top of the duvet???
This is for summer purely....and I really dont like sweating in bed, I'm more the sort to open a window in winter and lay half on top of the covers .....but cirucumstances wont allow for that

so

Just want reasonable comfort really.... and something to cover me.
Old 25-02-09, 10:43 PM   #6
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
This is for summer purely....and I really dont like sweating in bed, I'm more the sort to open a window in winter and lay half on top of the covers .....but cirucumstances wont allow for that

so

Just want reasonable comfort really.... and something to cover me.
In which case, you'll probably do fine with the bag you've found. It's worth seeking out a silk liner as well, as that will assist with the cooler days quite nicely.

It's all academic really as without a decent rollmat you'll still get chilly
Old 25-02-09, 10:49 PM   #7
G
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
In which case, you'll probably do fine with the bag you've found. It's worth seeking out a silk liner as well, as that will assist with the cooler days quite nicely.

It's all academic really as without a decent rollmat you'll still get chilly
Defo no room for a roll matt unfortunately I for one will be roughing it on a space capacity budget

Last edited by G; 25-02-09 at 10:51 PM.
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-09, 10:55 PM   #8
madness

No roll mat? You're gonna wake up very stiff in the morning!!
Old 25-02-09, 10:56 PM   #9
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
Defo no room for a roll matt unfortunately I for one will be roughing it on a space capacity budget
Bummer. Take a couple of pieces of thin polythene and some gaffer tape - you can roll them up tiny and manufacture a rudimentary but functional air mattress when you get there.

And yes, I AM serious.
Old 25-02-09, 11:37 PM   #10
Kilted Ginger

youll gt an insulated infaltable roll mat that will wrap up not much bigger than the bag youve shown, all the cold comes from the ground, really is worth the cost / space