SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-08-08, 09:44 AM   #1
sauluk

Default Buying Used

Is it as exhaustive as buying a car? Do you still need to go and see them or does it tend to be a case of getting an HPI and then as long as miles are relatively low and you know the paintwork is all in good order is it ok to go ahead? I know your supposed to check for loctited bolts etc and signs of track day use but this should be quite rare right?

I guess what i'm asking is, what are the main things to look for? all the good bikes seem to be in the East which is pretty useless for me but I could get one delivered but then wouldn't be able to see it!
Was: Blue SK5
Was: KMX125.. stolen..
sauluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-08, 09:57 AM   #2
husky03
Mega Poster

Default Re: Buying Used

same rules apply with buying anything secondhand mate-if you don't go and check it out you take a big risk in getting shafted-if you can take someone who knows there stuff and get them to check the bike out-any doubts walk away-there's always another around the corner-i'd rather spend a few quid on travelling to find the right bike than be stung for a few grand getting a wrong un.
husky
husky03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-08, 10:18 AM   #3
timwilky
Mega Poster

I have bought two bikes unseen on eBay, but if they were not as described (And they were both accurate) I would have been prepared to walk away and argue about contract, bad feedback etc..

I have also been to see bikes, arranged the appointment, got as far as walking up their drive, seen the shed of a bike and not bothered knocking. Morel here, is that some people are less than honest about their descriptions. so never hand over money unseen.

Firstly, when looking at a bike, I tend to look at is cosmetics, scratches/scrapes etc. Replacement panels/tanks etc cost a fortune and I want a bike that is right.

Next, I look at maintenance, best indicator is chain/sprockets, if these show excessive wear for the mileage, you know the owner is not lubricating/caring for the bike. If worn, but right for mileage, knock off £120. Look at tyres. If worn, knock off £200. Brakes especially an SV could be very expensive if not maintained.

Tip before a test ride. check tyre pressure. I had one that felt horrid and I turned round after 50 yards. and got the seller to put some air in. only 5psi and a bloody great nail.

Lack of a service history does not bother me. If I a confident the owner was a competent mechanic.

But at the end of the day, any doubt, walk away. Also make sure you see the bike at the address on the V5. If you let them smell the money in order to drive down cost. make sure they have not got a couple of hoodies hanging abpout wanting to take a few grand off you etc. IE. Be careful/sensible where you show cash
Old 09-08-08, 03:43 PM   #4
embee
Mega Poster

There are 2 fundamental questions really.

1 - does the seller have the right to sell the machine, legality, ownership, title, registered keeper, outstanding debt etc etc, in other words will it be yours absolutely if you buy it? IMO this is the most important issue, if it's stolen/ringer etc then you can lose the money and the bike and end up with nothing.

2 - is it the right bike to buy, condition, history, required items like tyres/battery/chain etc, correct valuation and so on. If you get the wrong bike then the worst is that it's cost you more than it should, but at least it's yours.

Don't rush into buying any bike, take your time, there are plenty around. Don't get caught in any auctioning or persuasion tactics, like there's another buyer coming to look at it in an hour's time.
As said, it should be viewed at the address on the V5C registration document [check this for watermark, should say DVL all over it], and the owner selling it should be the person registered as the keeper, don't accept any excuses for discrepancies. You can check valid MOT's online now, also vehicle details . Everything should tie up with what you've been told/shown.

If in any doubt, walk away and think about it.