SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-01-19, 10:10 AM   #1
Kambo

Default Front sprocket cover - gunked up behind

Hey, pointy k7

Clutch cable snapped, removed the 3 8mm bolts but had massive issues trying to pull the casing out, I do use chain wax but there was so much gunk behind it it had rubbered/hardened up and was preventing the casing from coming off, not sure if it was a combination of road grime, wax etc

Is this normal?

Ordered a main dealer cable but looking behind casing it looks like its actually snapped elsewhere, is this the adjuster? The centre bolt is loose and moving around?

What is that other part called as I need to order, thanks
Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-19, 11:08 AM   #2
Grim-Lock

Default Re: Front sprocket cover - gunked up behind

what you have there is a lovely coat of whatever you grease your chain with and road grime. it makes a torrential mess...

it looks like your cable itself is fine and you will be needing a new clutch actuator instead as i dont believe the harness is replaceable? i think its riveted.

https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts...3200-11D00-000
Grim-Lock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-19, 11:09 AM   #3
Grim-Lock

on second look, your clutch cable seems very stretched if its correctly adjusted at the handlebars looking like that
Old 30-01-19, 11:30 AM   #4
Kambo

Cheers for that

I've loosened off the lever end when I was investigating and pulled on the cable to see intially where it had snapped so thats probably why it seems off

I was recommended to use wax instead of oil...is there any DIY splash guard/shield to prevent road grim from getting in?
Old 30-01-19, 11:50 AM   #5
Grim-Lock

unfortunately not, wax melts when the chain warms up and collects grime and lubricates. when it hits the front sprocket it suddenly changes direction which causes it to flick off the chain around that area, and then it hardens on everything when the bike cools.

add cleaning that area to your chain cleaning maintenance or every 2 cycles to keep on top of it.
Old 30-01-19, 12:01 PM   #6
Kambo

Actuator ordered, ok I'll clean it up good and put it on the list of schedule maintenance

Thanks for your help with this, last thing though why did it snap at the bracket end, I thought it was only the cable that should've snapped? the bracket seems quite tough (obviously not my one though) bike has 52k on it
Old 30-01-19, 12:30 PM   #7
Grim-Lock

owned from new? if not the previous owner may have bent the holder to fit a new cable, repeated stress fracture.
Old 30-01-19, 01:02 PM   #8
Kambo

Purchased secondhand only a few months ago, will check for any stress fractures once I take it all off and clean it up, just for peace of mind

If you adjust the clutch lever position (I adjusted two number notches so it sits a little closer to the grips) do you need to adjust anything else like the spin lock for the freeplay adjuster if you adjust the lever position? Or does it not come into play what number you sit the lever at?
Old 30-01-19, 01:14 PM   #9
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Most adjustable levers the reach adjustment is separate to the cable tension barrel adjustment. Changing reach adjustment shouldn't change cable tension. At least it doesn't on my Pazzo levers.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-19, 02:40 PM   #10
Swin

On the gunk side, I use Wurth dry-lube, seems to reduce the gunginess drastically, perhaps because you don't need much of it...