SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-05-06, 08:39 AM   #1
DanAbnormal

Default Rain and one cyclinder......damn.

I thought I might have got away with it. But about 4 miles away from work the dreaded one cyclinder problem kicks in. Now, I know what to do but can I fix it with just the standard suzuki toolkit that comes with the bike? I'm at work now and don't have access to any other tools. Also would wd40 sort it, the local Halfords are next to useless so I doubt they will have silicone grease.

Thanks,

Dan
Old 08-05-06, 08:42 AM   #2
Razor

Hvae you got a fender extenda fitted?

If it's got all day to dry out it should be fine, just make sure the drain hole on the RHS of the front cylinder is clear. That's as you sit on the bike.
Old 08-05-06, 08:56 AM   #3
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Undo the lower bolt on the rad and swing it forwards, remove the plug cap and leave it off for a few hours, some WD40 or similar would be very helpful of course.

Don't forget to put the cap back on before you want to go home.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-06, 08:59 AM   #4
DanAbnormal

Cheers chaps.

I almost lost it when both cyclinders decided to kick as I was leant over on a drenched roundabout. Interesting to say the least!

Dan
Old 08-05-06, 10:09 AM   #5
DanAbnormal

Ok well I just started her up after letting it dry out for two hours and it statred fine and then went to one cyclinder after a few seconds. Then it would not start. I tapped the large radiatior as that was still full of water and now it starts and runs fine. This happened once on my bandit where I used a jet wash and water was lodged in the radiator. HOw do you stop this from happening. Also I could not see where the plug cap is (although i could not remove the rad as the suzuki tool kit does not have the correct size spanner for the tiny bolts either side). What a **** desing flaw. Very dissapointed. I would expect this from a ducati but not a suzuki.
Old 08-05-06, 10:20 AM   #6
Scooby Drew

Speak to Northwind, he has a solution - some fancy grease.

*all hail Northwind*

Old 08-05-06, 10:36 AM   #7
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

If you have a paperclip or so, there is a small drain hole on the front cylinder that gets blocked up, you could as a temp measure try to see if its blocked up. Look for a small hole under the front cylinder head.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-06, 11:28 AM   #8
DanAbnormal

Just took the bike out for a spin and she is now fine. I didn't do anything other than tap the rad to remove the excess water (there was lots!). Which is quite worrying as it means this will happen everytime it rains. Or is this the fabled spark plug problem, as I didn't touch that to fix it. Does a fender extenda resolve this issue? If not there is little point in wastin more money. Suzuki should have addressed this issue long ago. The little rubber flap covering the cylinder head is clearly not enough. Think I will contact them to see what they have to say.

Dan
Old 08-05-06, 11:30 AM   #9
Stig

A fender extender will help LOTS but not necessarily cure it all together.
Old 08-05-06, 11:38 AM   #10
red5

I got caught in a storm recently and the front cylinder cut out, when I went to fix the problem it was a long job and I ended up taking half the bike to bits!.

I don't have the original suzuki kit which made things more difficult but I actually found muck and crap round the threads of the spark plug that sit within the cylinder head!!! - it had driven water and crap in that far.

It was a nightmare getting that plug out as well, never again .