SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-02-17, 10:59 AM   #11
sputnik

Default Re: Heated Grips in Scotland - yes/no/which?

Everyone has a different ability to cope with the cold. As I got older I found fingertip pain in cold conditions got worse and worse every year. I ride all year round, in Scotland, regardless of the weather but getting much below zero degrees was getting seriously painful, not to mention the safety aspect of hands that can't move.

I do have heated grips and whilst they help a bit, I do find that they only really give a hot palm (sounds pervy), cold palms were never really the problem. The ones I have are cheapy £20 ones (Motopro Snug grips I think). They are a bit lacking in variable settings - off - barely on - hot, but they do the job. They do also help allow thinner gloves to be worn later in the year than might otherwise be the case but when it get really cold, they aren't enough.

Buying a pair of Gerbing heated gloves (mine are XR12 ones) has absolutely revolutionised winter riding, and in conjunction with the grips, cold weather holds no fear... well aside from the usual snow, ice, wet weather, low visibility, slippy roads stuff anyway.

They have a cable that runs direct from the battery on feeds out somewhere near your thigh. You then have a harness inside your jacket that has a 4 setting temperature controller, a cable that runs down each sleeve and a connector to join up with the battery cable. So you need to get on the bike then join up with the battery cable and join the gloves to the sleeve cables. It sounds a bit of a faff but it only actually takes a few seconds and it makes such a big difference it is worth the effort. they only draw power when the jacket harness is connected so you don't need to worry about flat batteries etc.

The downside - the gloves are quite pricey. That said, the heating elements are guaranteed for life. I have had a number of faults on mine but they have been repaired or replaced every time without issue. I am actually now on my third pair of gloves, having had them replaced with a new pair twice now. You might think this reflects badly on them but I paid £120 (there was a deal going on) or something nearly 5 years ago and still have virtually brand new gloves so in the long run they have been pretty economical.

Other brands of heated glove exist too but I can't speak for them.
Old 06-02-17, 11:50 AM   #12
macamxthe1st

For me I have found the best solution to be, Oxford heated grips and hand guards also fitted. Not perfect but a good compromise solution.

Geoff.
Old 06-02-17, 05:08 PM   #13
Heorot

I also have Oxford heated grips. There are 4 heat setting from warm to bloody hot. As others have said, the palm gets hot but I find that the fingers warm up after a while. Just remember, if you get some, to wire them into the ignition and not directly to the battery. That way, if you forget to switch them off, it doesn't drain the battery.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-17, 09:09 AM   #14
zombie

I have the Oxford sports ones with the 4 settings. Make a real difference. Probably not as much as good gloves, but they are always there if needed. For the cost, no brainer.

4 settings are a bit pointless, you'd never want 25% or 50% heat, so there is a cheaper one with just on/off which is probably fine.

One issue I personally had is that the length of them meant the OEM bar ends (K5 naked) didn't screw in as well and as a result fell out. Replaced them with aftermarket ones and been fine since. Also this was a naked SV, and the SVs I think has different bar ends anyway.
zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-17, 12:12 PM   #15
aesmith

Thanks for all the comments. I'm going to go for heated grips in the first instance. A can see a few problems with heated gloves. For example I've never had a pair of fully waterproof gloves, and sometimes they take more than a day to dry out meaning that I use a spare pair the next day. Also gloves wear out fairly quickly.
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-17, 12:38 PM   #16
atassiedevil

Heated grips here too. I tend to use the biketek ones, 4 heat settings, and cheap enough at £35. If the grips themselves fail due to corrosion, the R & G ones have the same connectors and work well in conjunction. Keeps things simple and cheap.
Old 10-02-17, 11:15 PM   #17
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Just to add my two penneth and for anyone who wants an alternative.

I've been using,"Keis" heated inner gloves for around 5 years.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Keis-Heate...7pHhfm0Bs2Dosg

I always buy my Motorcycle gloves ones size too large to allow for inner gloves.

They are still going strong even though they did cost a bit.I tried heated grips but they they only heated my palms and there was a point-of-diminishing-returns e.g if you have good winter gloves then the heat from the grips gets dissipated too fast in my experience.
With the inner gloves I can keep the gloves I like and they heat all my hand and more importantly for me,my fingers.

As always these devices work better with,"Hand-guards" to help stop the,"Wind-Chill" taking the heat away.I sewed the wires from the Keis inners into my Motorcycle Jacket and connect to the Motorcycle via an SAE connector and just plug in at the my cuff-ends.
I'm modding my newly acquired SV650 for the same system and an extended SAE connector not only for the gloves but for my,"Battery Tender".

I am waiting for some cheap Hand-guards I have bought and will post if they are any good on an SV650

HTH

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 10-02-17 at 11:17 PM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-17, 09:06 AM   #18
Wolfendenr

I use R&G heated grips and handlebar muffs for my 30 mile commute and I don't have to wear winter gloves.
The only problem I've had is the control box for the grips is faulty and the right grip is always on (with ignition). Got in contact with R&G and they are sending me a new control box FOC and I dont even have to send them the faulty one.
Wolfendenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-17, 01:25 PM   #19
Heorot

After saying I had Oxford heated grips, I needed to go into Norwich today, 12 miles each way. I was halfway there when I realised the grips weren't working. Fingers like icicles by the time I got home.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-17, 03:16 PM   #20
SV650rules
Mega Poster

I use Ginko Biloba tablets (from Holland and Barrett etc.) which improves blood flow to extremities - started using it when my fingers went white sometimes when playing golf in the cold, supposed to improve the brain as well - no sign of that yet still haven't figured out when it is too cold to play !

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote