SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-06-15, 10:27 AM   #1
muzikill
Mega Poster

Default Battery voltage & a couple of dodgy cranks

Across the terminals.....

Measuring 12.43v after sitting a week

14.2-14.5 with engine running.

13v with engine off after a long run & dropping 0.02 v every minute or so (probably due to have the multimeter running on it) and i expect settling at the 12.43v mark.

And this is after using a optimiser, i've had a couple of dodgy starts recently where the whole bike doesnt crank & no displaye but then 2nd time is usually does. I did a flick back and forward of the cut off switch & this might have sorted it. Recently i had the front fairing off so the display connector was disconnected. Before i take her to bits, can anyone just confirm if it looks like the batteries borderline on it's way out? The battery (varta) is probably around the 4-5 year old mark.

Cheers btw.
K3 Job c.v: Engine:remove/split/rebuild/refit. Replace:Gearbox,Fuel pump,Gaskets. Piston clean,rings. Overhaul:Throttle body,Injectors,Brakes,Forks. Remove/refit:Exhaust,Radiator,Oil cooler,Throttle,Air filter,Tank. Replace: Oil,Coolant,grease,brake hoses & bleed.

Last edited by muzikill; 24-06-15 at 10:29 AM.
muzikill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-15, 11:34 AM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Battery voltage & a couple of dodgy cranks

sounds like the battery is on its last legs.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-15, 12:05 PM   #3
Craig380
Mega Poster

+1 on the battery dying. I just got my 2006 K6 which still has the original battery. The dealer told me they like to fit a new battery before selling, but didn't have the correct one in stock. So when I got it home, I checked the old battery.

13.05V two hours after a 50-mile run (engine off). 48 hours later (engine had not been run in the meantime), 12.95V. I'd expect it to be around 12.6 / 12.7 after a week.

It's maybe worth double checking the main earth point is clean and the battery terminals are clean and tight, any problems with those could also contribute to the starter not cranking.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-15, 04:27 PM   #4
muzikill
Mega Poster

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Varta-AGM-...item23253acf63

Looks like i'll be buying a replacement, im unsure of wether this is a good crank type or if im buying a name tbh.
K3 Job c.v: Engine:remove/split/rebuild/refit. Replace:Gearbox,Fuel pump,Gaskets. Piston clean,rings. Overhaul:Throttle body,Injectors,Brakes,Forks. Remove/refit:Exhaust,Radiator,Oil cooler,Throttle,Air filter,Tank. Replace: Oil,Coolant,grease,brake hoses & bleed.
Old 24-06-15, 04:31 PM   #5
Bibio
Mega Poster

i would say this one is better as it has higher cranking amps http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lucas-AGM-...48466531&rt=nc lucas are also a known brand name that usually carries a reliability.

you will find that most branded battery's will come out the same factory anyway.

Last edited by Bibio; 24-06-15 at 04:32 PM.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-15, 05:20 PM   #6
muzikill
Mega Poster

Cheers for the advice bibio & craig, bullet bit & new battery ordered using bibio's link.

Rebranding, one of my pet hates bibio & im a stickler for trying to find out the cheaper version.

Last edited by muzikill; 24-06-15 at 06:05 PM.
Old 25-06-15, 07:13 AM   #7
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Those dodgy starts sound more like a loose connection to me.
Old 25-06-15, 09:51 AM   #8
muzikill
Mega Poster

Itll be the emergency cut off switch yorkie im sure of it. It just sits there doing nothing with the elements creeping in doesnt it! A few mad flicks to ensure a clean connection usually sorts it. I really should do it properly and dismantle it but my heated grip is going to make it a bugger to remove.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Last edited by muzikill; 25-06-15 at 11:45 AM.
Old 25-06-15, 11:26 AM   #9
Stepmg8255

If it's any consolation to getting a new battery, check out MDS batteries. Forum members get a discount and their turn around is amazing (Mon-Fri).
I've no affiliation to them, just recently bought a Yuasu battery for a K4.
Old 25-06-15, 11:45 AM   #10
muzikill
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepmg8255 View Post
If it's any consolation to getting a new battery, check out MDS batteries. Forum members get a discount and their turn around is amazing (Mon-Fri).
I've no affiliation to them, just recently bought a Yuasu battery for a K4.

Already bought but a good reminder for anyone else thinking about a replcaement soon