SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-05-05, 12:31 PM   #1
Skiddy

Default Bouncy Bits

Hi all,

I've been thinking about getting the suspension on my bike sorted for a while now, and thought I'd pick your collective brains on the subject.

I guess firstly, how much difference will it really make? My 2000 model SV has done 14,000 miles now, and is on the original equipment front and rear, and whatever front fork oil the servicing schedule says it should be on I'm fairly lightweight at about 9.5 stone, and to be honest I've never really had any complains on the handling. On the other hand, I've never ridden anything more sporty for a comparison!

The only thing I'm starting to notice now is that the bike doesn't feel isolated from bumps in the road when going round long sweepers at *ahem* speed, and it doesn't feel that planted. Slower speed stuff, braking and changing direction all feel fine.

I hear getting correct springs, oil weight and air gap can make a world of difference to the front end for not much money. If I got that set up for my weight, would I also find pre-load adjusters useful?

With 14k on the clock, what kind of condition is the rear shock going to be in? I hear Hagon can be a good swap in replacement (and also heard you can get them set up for your weight as well?) but I don't know what the alternatives might be.

Well, sorry for the long post, and thanks for any advice!
Old 16-05-05, 12:58 PM   #2
Nouf

Not too sure about the set ups you are talkinbg about, am sure someone wiser will be on to tell you about those.

I have a k4 and had Ohlins rear shock and froint springs on for Xmas. My bike was only about 3 months old at the same with just unr 1500 miles. But the Ohlins did make a huge difference. Dont know if it's psychologic but I do feel I am now more confident around bends as I get a better feedback.
Old 16-05-05, 01:09 PM   #3
weegaz22

the sv was designed around what you weigh, ive never really had any complaints either as i weight the same
Old 16-05-05, 01:45 PM   #4
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

The springs will be OK at your sort of weight, at 14,000 miles if the fork oil is the original stuff it will be well past the sell by date now, change it. If you were happy with the bike as standard when it was younger, stick with the original 10W oil.
Same sort of advice for the rear, at 14,000 the shock will definately not be like a new one, this doesn't mean it's useless, but if the damping has gone off a bit you may well notice a difference, whether it's worth the money/work for a change to something newer/better is a decision that only you can make.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-05, 07:24 PM   #5
northwind
Mega Poster

What they said.

What a worthwhile post that was I put stiffer springs, 15W oil, and an Ohlins rear in mine and it's the business quite frankly... But you don't need the springs, heavier oil might be too much, and the Ohlins is overkill for the street.

I'd have tried the SRAD shock, or maybe if you have a bit more money to play with speak to Jarel or Clayton at SVRaceshop.com about the revalved, lengthened GSXR shocks they do- seem an excellent option, particularily with the dollar as it is.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-05, 04:48 PM   #6
Skiddy

Thanks for the replies, guys, think I'll go for an end-can first after all
Old 17-05-05, 05:03 PM   #7
hall13uk

i only read this thred cos of the title BOuNCy bits. but alas it was not to be damm
Old 19-05-05, 09:34 AM   #8
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

My twopenn'th, also being built like a rake...

The fork springs as stock are too soft for anybody, replacing them with stiffer ones and preload adjusters (definitely) is worth a lot more than an end can (you really need the other bits to go with the can anyway so it's not that cheap). The fork damping is fine on rebound but too soft on compression and also a bit crude in its action. Emulators will take care of the crudeness and lack of comp damping, but just whacking in thicker oil won't be great as you'll still have basically crap compression damping and now too much rebound, especially as you weigh so little. Fudmeister has a table of figures for the forks:

http://forums.sv650.org/viewtopic.php?t=16938

I fitted the emulators a year before the springs, and both are worth it. The springs are the biggest benefit of the two if you can only afford one mod.

As for the back end, the rear shock isn't that bad (but at 14k it could well be scrap), and considering it's around £400 for a worthwhile replacement you'd be well advised to buy sticker tyres instead and experiment with the preload adjuster (4 out of 7, or 5 on the track as a starting point). After a lot of thinking and saving I've finally bought an Ohlins shock, barely ridden it since but it does feel good. Much like the emulators, I imagine it'll feel quite similar until you reach a nasty bit and it glides right over. Hagon is basically a stock replacement so is cheaper. There are lots of threads about fitting GSXR/ZX6/whatever shocks but I have my doubts that any of these are much better than stock, often with these things people notice a difference and call it an improvement. I don't know if they work, just take it all with some consideration.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-05, 10:09 AM   #9
northwind
Mega Poster

You refer to Elmer's tables but say "stock's too soft for anybody". Elmer's own figures say to use a .705 for a 9 stone rider or .725 for a 10 stone, we have a 9.5 here so the stock .706 is going to be very close to what's recommended.

(Personally Elmer's numbers would have been soft for me, but that's just me- I've got .8s and 15W oil and I'm 10.5 stone, and it works well. I'll maybe change to 12.5 but the springs suit)

Preload adjusters are more for the lazy or the frequent tinkerer I think, they do nothing you can't replicate perfectly well with stock parts and PVC pipe (though to keep the air gaps something like stock I'd finalise it with a metal spacer) I've got the adjusters fitted and they're useful, but I don't think they're a definate.

Also, the Hagon's not a stock replacement at all, and nothing like. Personally I don't think it''s a very good option, but it's still a significant upgrade. I like the Ohlins myself But it's really hard to justify that sort of expense for a rider that's basically happy with the stock parts.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-05, 01:58 PM   #10
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Okay, I found the forks too soft and I like bouncy old bikes. To be honest I went with the JHS recommendation of Progressive springs, which are also progressive i.e. not linear/single rate, so by the time I've set the preload I've little idea what the actual rate is at the start of travel. As for the preload adjusters, on progressive springs these are a help cos you can squash out a lot of the softness or leave it in. I'd say they're good for anyone cos when you add a pillion or luggage you can adjust it up and restore the yin to your yang.

I don't have any experience of the Hagon on the SV (but used them on other bikes), but I can't say I've heard anyone exactly wetting themselves over it. I considered it but decided that I could spend a bit more and get a lot more, I'd be pretty cheesed if I spent £270 or whatever the latest is and it'd be a bit better instead of a lot better.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote