SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-04-15, 09:24 PM   #1
Philby.

Question Oxford Heated Grips - Sports vs Touring vs Adventure

Hi all

I'm about to purchase my first set of heated Oxford grips, but I am hoping to get some advice from you beforehand. I understand that of the three premium types, the 'Adventure' grips are too long for the SV, so I suppose that just leaves 'Sports' & 'Touring'.

I commute daily and the 'Sports' grips do look nicely grippy; but hard and sharp, so I'm guessing they could potentially be quite uncomfortable over longer rides. Is the 'Touring' version, therefore, more comfortable and the better all-round choice?

I'd be very grateful if you could tell me which of the three grips you guys use/recommend, and why, as well as what kind of riding you do.

I could go into a shop and just feel them, but I'd far rather hear testimonials from you.

I ride an SV650S K3.

One other thing:
I know the new grips have the intelligent battery controller (whereby the power is switched off when the battery is low), but is it not still advisable to wire the grips to the ignition so the power is automatically shut off? I'm asking this because it seems that otherwise the battery controller has to wait until the battery voltage drops to a certain level, I think I read somewhere around 11.7v - is this correct? It does seem like a waste of power. Conversely, if the controller realises the engine has been switched off and shuts the power down fairly quickly, then I might save myself the hassle of the additional wiring!...I hope that makes sense.

Many thanks in advance!

Phil

Last edited by Philby.; 01-05-15 at 12:42 AM.
Philby. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-15, 09:51 PM   #2
Fruity-ya-ya

Talking Re: Oxford Heated Grips - Sports vs Touring vs Adventure

Just got a set of the sports premium with the v8 controller.
I did get them for a good price (£62) I've read loads of reviews and although there are some other good alternatives recommended the Oxford sports premium seemed to be best suited to my Gladius.
Not installed yet but the grip pattern feels the best of the bunch IMO and yes I did make the bloke in the shop open each one so I could give them a squeeze.

Once installed I'll give you my thoughts but from the research I've done, at least as far as fitting (the right size out of the box & power saving/heat settings), the sports were hands down the ones I would plump for.

I plan to find a use a bolt and use the mount provided near to the clutch mount and will look for some rubber glue as I've read that the super glue supplied in the box is not the best for adhering the throttle grip.
Old 28-04-15, 09:55 PM   #3
Philby.

Thumbs up Re: Oxford Heated Grips - Sports vs Touring vs Adventure

Thanks for that.
Old 28-04-15, 10:03 PM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Oxford Heated Grips - Sports vs Touring vs Adventure

cant help with the grips but one thing i will say is you want them long enough so the connectors are under the tank area to keep them out of the elements. to make sure they do turn off you could always buy one of my Gizmos

have a read through this thread http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.p...ighlight=Gizmo
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-15, 10:31 PM   #5
peatland

Got a set of R&G heated grips 18 months ago after a cold drive back from France in September 2013 (http://www.rg-racing.com/browseType/...HG000122C.aspx) easy to install, had them wired directly to battery until very recently when I bought one of Bibio's Gizmo's (great bit of kit). Cheaper than Oxford grips and I am happy with them. Used cheap glue to fit them which came unstuck few weeks back but redid them with same stuff (5min job but ~2 days to harden). Whichever you go for I'd recommend them overnumb hands anyday
Old 28-04-15, 10:33 PM   #6
PyroUK
Mega Poster

Default Oxford Heated Grips - Sports vs Touring vs Adventure

Had a set of Oxford ones on my old L0 when I got it but the controller packed up.

Ended up replacing with a set of r&g grips and they were very good! Also a bit cheaper.

I would recommend wiring in to the ignition regardless of fancy cut off features as not being able to start the bike will have you cussing far more than the extra wiring will
Old 28-04-15, 11:04 PM   #7
Philby.

- Thank you Bibio, I'll bear your Gizmo in mind - it looks very handy!
- peatland & PyroUK - thanks your comments about the R&G grips. However, I'm fairly set on these Oxford ones, despite being more dear.
- PyroUK - good point about the wiring, I agree!

Last edited by Philby.; 28-04-15 at 11:05 PM.
Old 28-04-15, 11:21 PM   #8
PyroUK
Mega Poster

Default Oxford Heated Grips - Sports vs Touring vs Adventure

No worries, I know what you mean, I'm usually the same. The only reason I swapped was because a replacement control unit was virtually the cost of the r&g's! And I kinda lost faith in the control unit as the grips wouldn't have been that old. Just one of things I guess!

Currently considering if I should get some heated grips for the tona!
Old 28-04-15, 11:31 PM   #9
ahmedf

Cough, cough check this Thread out

I'm regularly near Ealing Hospital if you want to meet up!

shameless plug

Edit: I currently use it along with bibios Gizmo thingy and they work flawlessly. The intelligent auto off system, is also actually meant to switch off once it detects no "noise" in the circuit once the ignition is switched off, so it should switch off before the voltage even drops to the level it states. When i tested them before installing it with Bibios gizmo, that's exactly what happened. But I just went for the peace of mind option and used the "gizmo"

Last edited by ahmedf; 28-04-15 at 11:35 PM.
Old 29-04-15, 12:07 AM   #10
Philby.

ahmedf
If it detects the ignition turning off almost straight away without a big drop in voltage, that actually seems quite good. I'll have a play once I have decided which set I want, but as you say it is best to have peace of mind .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmedf View Post
I'm regularly near Ealing Hospital if you want to meet up!
Ah, not far then - I'll remember that, thanks.